[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 34 KB, 248x328, 1318966658868.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4743055 No.4743055 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /ck/
is being frozen food like meat / groceries bad? I mean I'm talking about nutritional stuff, does it count as "processed" food?
what are the downsides of frozen food?

>> No.4743059

There really aren't many downsides to frozen food, frozen veggies are especially healthy and good

Frozen meats might be super salty though to make it preserve even harder

>> No.4743060

Flash frozen stuff stores better and can be as good as fresh food.

>> No.4743063

>>4743059
>preserve even harder

>> No.4743064

Some foods suffer from being frozen. Mostly, it's from being taken and stuffed into your own freezer, which runs thaw cycles, and that annihilates the texture of just about anything.

>> No.4743066

freezing mostly preserves food's nutritional value. when factories freeze ingredients they usually do what's called 'flash freezing', meaning freezing very fast, causing minimal damage to the product.

it stays frozen til it gets to you, and when you unfreeze it very little bad stuff has happened to it.

what freezing can do is damage the food in a way that is not directly related to nutrition - i.e: ice crystals form and rupture cell walls. this causes delicate things like fruit and meat to go mushy and slimy after defrosting. sometimes it hastens spoilage after defrosting too, because it exposes more of the product to oxidation and so on.

>> No.4743076

>>4743063
don't look at me, that's pretty much every single frozen dinner's mindset

>> No.4743135
File: 62 KB, 400x388, 1330643948784.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ok thanks for the info, my main question what about the nutrion stuff / vitamins, I know frozen food (esp meat) will most likely not taste as good.
I'm wondering beacuse I have a female co-worker who tells me that she doesn't buy frozen food because the vitamins disapears

>> No.4743143

>>4743135
It's not true. Protein isn't killed in the freezing (or cooking process). As for fruits and vegetables, frozen ones actually tend to have a bit more than fresh (they are frozen on site when younger and more nutrient rich). Cooking may destroy some vitamins but that's always how it is.

>> No.4743724

>>4743055

Freezing is an important step in parasite control.

Regardless of any loss of palatability, I am rather comforted by the fact that a week's deep freeze will drastically lower the parasite load that makes it to the cooking process.

>> No.4743728

Not so much in regards to nutritional value but freezing then thawing definitely alters the taste.

>> No.4743733

it depends. sometimes they will add weird shit to frozen food "for texture" or whatever so just read the ingredients to make sure they aren't sneaking stuff in the food you don't want or need. other than that frozen vegetables and fruit are inexpensive and a good way to increase better nutrition in you diet.