[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 10 KB, 274x184, deli fresh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4714420 No.4714420[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

i left one of those big 7 dollar safeway sandwiches in my car overnight during these summer hours and came back outside to get them at 2pm when i woke up so they've been at room temperature probably from 9 am to 2pm.

do i still eat the safeway sandwich or is it dangerous? it seems fine now. i also left one of those pizza sticks in there :(

basically left food out for 12+ hours but only ~4 of those hours were warm (probably 75-80 degrees now, car wasn't too hot when i opened the door)

>> No.4714421

As long as the mayo is separating and it doesn't smell bad, it's good to go.

>> No.4714430

I wouldn't, but feel free to try. Post the results after a few hours or tomorrow and let us know how it went.

>> No.4714495

gonna just go for gold and eat them later when im hungry

hope i dont diarrheavomitexplosion

>> No.4714533
File: 33 KB, 500x625, An Hero 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

you fucked up bigtime and just lost 7 dollars. time to an hero, b/ro

>> No.4714697

the pizza stick and the chicken thing thats like those crispy chicken tubes from taco time was ok

stomach is doing alright. probably frmo all the preservatives in it but oh well tasted good. i'll try the sandwich next after im done with some work

>> No.4714700

Goddamn, do you know anything about the temperature danger zone?

>> No.4714704

If the sandwich has cheese and mayo on it, I wouldn't.

>> No.4714718

>>4714700
i do but for some reason i really dont want to throw away 7 dollars worth of food (well i guess about 450 since i ate 1/3 of it) i'd just be really sad

i am the phantom pain maybe real pain when my stomach strikes in revolt

>> No.4714743

if it doesn't smell bad (which it's not going to), the chances of it making you sick are very slim

my dad is a health inspector, it's ironic how lax he is about standards in his personal rights. The formal standards are much more strict then they realistically need to be.

>> No.4714785

>>4714743
thank you for giving me hope, however i fear it is too late. i have already discarded the sandwich in fear

i am sorry my people, my family, and my significant other i am not worthy of existence any longer :(

>> No.4714829

You know what? If there were a famine and a massive food storage, those sandwiches would still be considered good due to not having mold or fuzz on them. The fact that we worry about little things such as whether they're room temperature or not, and whether they're still good, is kinda funny.

They're still good. But they're not fresh. I've sure you've eaten buffet or fast food that's been under a heat lamp for much longer than that.

>> No.4714831

>>4714829
>food shortage*

>> No.4714835

>>4714829
oh god i am now filled with regret

shit

i will now make what i feel is the right choice now from now on

and that right choice is to consume with less prejudice and be thankful i have food

ck is an enlightening place

>> No.4714840

The smell test is best.

Between that and checking for discoloration, you're fine. The bread is probably loaded with preservatives. As well as most of the condiments.

You're fine.

>> No.4714848

>>4714420
I wood have eaten it. The worst thing that could happen is a few days off work.

>> No.4714852

>>4714835

It's intriguing how wasteful America is. Something can drop on a person's floor for 8 seconds and they're throw it away. That food is still damn good. Unless you love in a house where the floor is covered in feces and vomit, then it's good to throw the food item away. But the item is still damn good and consumable otherwise.

Same goes for food that "expired" on a certain date just because that's what it says on the little sticker. Unless it has slime and mold on it, then it's still good. Folks are gonna regret being so wasteful in the coming times.

>> No.4714862

>>4714743
>tfw work at a restaurant that strictly follows formal standards, plus some.

>Oh, all that food came stamped with an expiration date? You'll still be writing the date on everything that comes through those doors.

I think they've given me autism.

>> No.4714864

>>4714852
I imagine this is why most countries hate and envy america. especially the poorer countries

>> No.4714875

>>4714852
its funny but i've never thrown food away like that i just felt really nervous about how long it was basking in the wonderful warm environment of my car.

i've eaten worse but i fell from my normal path of righteousness. i am now further concreted in the understanding of "food is fine just eat it unless it's obviously bad"

>> No.4714886

>>4714852
You should have seen the thread the other day, some guy left meat in the refrigerator instead of the freezer over night. He asked if it was still ok, when everyone told him it was, he still threw it out.

>> No.4714910

I had raw chicken wings that I had in my fridge last week that ended up smelling noticeably awful. They still looked kinda fresh. But they stunk. Clearly they were going bad. I still prepped them and fried them anyway because I didn't wanna waste money by throwing them away lol.

They still tasted decent. But you could tell they were really starting to turn bad. I still feel fine a week later after eating them. No sickness or anything. I don't wanna turn eating 'bad' food into a trend though. I'll just learn my lesson next time.

>> No.4715080

>>4714852
>Something can drop on a person's floor for 8 seconds and they're throw it away.
I don't enjoy eating bits of fuzz, dirt, and cat/dog hair.

>> No.4715360

I once ate a pizza the next day that I left on my back seat. I didn't eat it all, but I think I'm justified by the likely very low bacteria count after it was cooked. If anything taking other pieces out the previous day is the only thing that could have added bacteria to the box besides the pizza shop packing it up.

>> No.4715462

>>4715360
>>4715360
Bacteria multiplies without you adding anymore bacteria to the mix. I don't even... I hope you just phrased whatever you really wanted to say badly.

>> No.4715695

>>4714420

I'd probably eat it, but I'd smell it first.

>> No.4715791

>>4714852

>Implying that everyone in America throws away food once it has touched the floor.

>Implying that only people in America would throw away food once it has touched the floor.

>> No.4715792

>>4715360

I used to think leaving food in cars was okay until my friend told me about how he had once seen a roach in his car when he opened his trunk. He kept his car relatively clean, too.