[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 58 KB, 400x300, tacosalcarbon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4707401 No.4707401 [Reply] [Original]

Me and a person were discussing this earlier and never really drew a solid conclusion. What is the difference between fajitas and tacos al carbon? I argued that fajitas were fried in a cast iron griddle with veggies, tacos al carbon were grilled over an open flame. He said fajitas were either grilled or fried, it was fajitas only if the meat, toppings, and tortillas were seperate. Tacos al carbon come to you pre-rolled. He also said fajitas were sliced in strips, al carbon are sliced in chunks. Which I don't think is necessarily true.

Whats the deal here? Are they the same thing with different names?

>> No.4707506
File: 34 KB, 550x412, tacos from ninfas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

bump. we need to settle this.

>> No.4707539

>>4707401
fajitas come out of the tortilla, tacos al carbon come in the tortilla. Pay fucking attention

>> No.4707543

So what's the difference between fajitas and tacos al carbon? As I understand it, very little. Fajitas, which translates to little belts, are traditionally made with the tough diaphragm cut of beef known as skirt steak, which is a long and narrow, much like a belt.

The meat is often marinated and then grilled or griddled, and it’s served with a prescribed array of condiments such as guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream and a stack of flour tortillas, all used to roll your own tacos. And yes, you can make fajitas, the dish, out of shrimp or chicken, but since the word itself refers to the cut of beef, technically it should be called something else.

Tacos al carbon, however, can be made with any type of meat, not just the traditional skirt steak. And unlike fajitas, the tacos are already made instead of being a do-it-yourself affair. I think this is the main difference, but even for me it’s a bit of a semantic stretch.

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2010/03/tacos-al-carbon-recipe.html

Use google next time.

>> No.4707609

>>4707543
While not OP and also really appreciating your analysis, its a bit unfair to say "Use google next time." We are generally looking for opinions about food and since this question gets into the sticky semantics of different subcultures and food, its not something OP should expect google to be able to answer directly by any means. Compared to "hai guys show me chicken breast recipes" OP's question gets a gold star.

>> No.4707614

>>4707609
I do want to add I really did like your analysis though. The "little belt" thing was news to me. Never really thought of a skirt steak as a belt though.

>> No.4707616

>>4707609
>>4707614

The answer provided was a google result. I even provided the source link.

A little searching goes a long way, and even the "semantics" of a particular food item can be and often is explained.

>> No.4707703

Tacos al Carbon is a traditional item in Mexico

Fajitas are some Tex-Mex gringo bullshit that became popular.

>> No.4707839

>>4707703
mexifag in mexico here,
carne faja, or fajitas, are longish strips of beef, made of skirt or flank usually done on a plancha or flat iron, but can be grilled over coals and it is still fajitas.
Al carbón is any carne asada cooked over coals.
I guess you can call fajitas al carbón if it is fajitas cooked over coals

>> No.4707887

>>4707543
OP here back from a break and I did google it and I did read that article, which taught me nothing. The article is bullshit and one man's opinion. I want all of your opinions. The article seems knowledgeable, but it's a subjective opinion. I want to know, how is a fajita and a taco al carbon really different.

Speaking from experience, I've never seen tacos al carbon come in any variety other than beef, or maybe once I saw chicken. I've seen all sorts of fajitas. Beef, chicken, shrimp, fish, even portabello fajitas.