[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 73 KB, 401x391, WTQYJVe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4705035 No.4705035[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Thoughts?

>> No.4705038

Makes sense.

To quote my grandma "life is short, eat your desert first"

>> No.4705045

>>4705035
You shouldn't be gorging yourself beyond capacity every meal.

>> No.4705054

Sounds like something an american would come up with.

>> No.4705063

I never have a special "dessert", I eat randomly when hungry, and among those times the random eating of sweets might happen, if they're around.

>> No.4705070
File: 122 KB, 420x297, fat-american.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An interesting counter to "save room for dessert." This does seem more efficient for an American diet. If you're trying to pack max food into your digestive tract in a short time, while enjoying variety, pack in whatever dishes consume the least volume, so probably dessert and small side dishes first, and finish with repeated servings of the entrée until you're about the throw up.

>> No.4705076

Real men eat

DESSERT FIRST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCRY2_3muVU

>> No.4705087

>>4705045
what if you make too much of something that's flavor declines after you cook it
You make like a 2 cups too much and you decide to just go for it

>> No.4705102

>>4705070
This is basically what I do at chinese buffets
I load up on the good shit. General tso's, crab ragoon, moo goo, dim sum, that really fucked up looking pork that kinda tastes like cough syrup but I can't stop eating it

'then' I finish my meal with the wonton soup and fried rice
and a few fortune cookies
also those really bitchin chinese crackers. ...or.. cracker.. strips.. or whatever the fuck they are

>> No.4705110

>implying dessert is the best part of the meal

>> No.4705124
File: 28 KB, 577x435, 1368217228898.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why is the American attitude towards food so childish sometimes? Just don't stuff yourself and you'll have room for dessert. There's a reason why dessert is served last. Just don't load up on fries and ranch dressing and you're fine. Goddamnit.

>> No.4705126

>>4705124
Buffet is a french term.

>> No.4705136

>>4705126

You don't need to eat so much you shit yourself at a buffet either?

>> No.4705145

>>4705136
>he doesn't get his money's worth

>> No.4705149

>>4705145

>Shits himself in his mobile scooter

>> No.4705544

>>4705145
Let me know if getting your money's worth at a $10 buffet balances out with your medication costs

>> No.4705624

I've had a hypothesis (disclaimer: I always seem to confuse hypothesis and theory, so whichever one is correct, read it there) that psychologically, people compartmentalize their stomachs. In most cases, you can eat and eat a meal until you're stuffed and can't eat another bite, until the topic of dessert comes up, and somehow you have room again, because in your brain, you're like "Okay, the meal is over, now it's time to put something in the dessert section."

It's not a very good explanation, but I'm not good with writing. Hopefully it makes some sense and doesn't just read like gibberish.

>> No.4705649

Maybe it's just the people I hang around with, but when eating at a non-buffet restaurant here in the US, the following two things seem to be the norm:
>eat about 60-70% of the meal ==> get a to-go box ==> put the remainder of the meal into the to-go box ==> the remainder is delicious lunch the next day
>automatically decline to order dessert, due to the added time/expense/calories

The second seems to be due to the fact that restaurant desserts are extremely rich and fairly expensive, like half the cost of an entree (and as many calories as the entire entree). People would probably order dessert more regularly if you could just order scoops of ice ice cream at a dollar a pop, hell probably everyone would order one or two scoops b/c what the hell, one or two scoops won't kill you. But instead you know it will be some extravagant, $8 slice of cake with four different types of chocolate: it will be more than you feel like eating, so either you need to share it, wait for the server to bring yet more to-go boxes, or just stuff yourself silly.