[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 300 KB, 1259x944, chicken stock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4696063 No.4696063 [Reply] [Original]

Chicken stock, /ck/. How do YOU make it? Do you have a special recipe or certain items you like to include? I used chicken leg quarters, carrots, celery, couple onions, few cloves of garlic, black peppercorns and a bit of thyme. I decided to follow Chef John's recipe for chicken stock, but, I decided to make a slight change...

I don't have any chicken stock, so I wanted to make some of that. I also wanted some chicken. So, I take a few pounds of chicken leg quarters and simmer them in the stock mix for a little over an hour. After that, I made sure they were done and took off all the meat. The skin, gristle, and bones, I dumped back into the pot to simmer with the veggies. Was this a bad idea? I don't know if the chicken skins will have a detrimental effect on the stock.

It's been simmering for about 4 hours now. I skimmed the fat off when it initially floated to the top, so don't think I forgot about that step.

>> No.4696082

>Buy a pressure cooker
>Throw all the shit in
>It's ready in an hour

>> No.4696088

>>4696082
That's not a bad idea.

>> No.4696091

>>4696082
>not roasting your bones first
>not defatting properly after

Typical lazy pressure cooker fag. You're probably the same guy who thinks beans made in a pressure cooker taste just as good as beans cooked at 1 atmosphere.

>> No.4696100

>>4696091
>You're probably the same guy who thinks beans made in a pressure cooker taste just as good as beans cooked at 1 atmosphere.

You probably don't see whats wrong with what you wrote here, but I am giggling.

>> No.4696121

>>4696088

My technique is to throw all my bones and meat trimmings in a ziploc bag in my freezer. When the bag fills up, I throw it in my cheapo $50 electric pressure cooker with an onion or 2, some bay leaves, and some salt and pepper, and set it to max pressure for an hour. Then I pour it into quart deli containers in the fridge, and skim the fat off once it solidifies.

>> No.4696129

>>4696091
No troll here. What means "beans cooked at 1 atmosphere"?

>> No.4696141

>>4696129
>>4696100

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_%28unit%29

>> No.4696148

I have no idea what chicken stock is supposed to taste like, but mine always comes out much darker brown that that, and it tastes much stronger than I think it's supposed to taste.

How do I failed cooking?

>> No.4696154

>>4696148
Do you like it? If so then no, you have not failed.

>> No.4696167

>>4696148

I dunno. Stock is supposed to taste strongly of the corresponding animal, and OP's picture looks like far too little meat for the water. When I make it, there's normally just enough water to cover everything.

>> No.4696168

>>4696148
Mine is still reducing, I had quite a bit of water at the beginning.

>> No.4696199

I use to save all my chicken bones and do something similar to the French Laundry recipe for stock.

For the past year though I've just been buying a 5 pound pack of chicken legs and adding onion, celery, carrot, parsley, whole garlic cloves and peppercorns. Just simmer it for 3 hours or so. Sometimes I'll remove all the meat from the bones when I'm done, use it for chicken salad. The meat is completely bland by that point but it carries a sauce or dressing well.

The stock comes out light and flavorful for use straight up in soups, and reduces well if you want something stronger.

I forget if the pot I use is 8 or 10 quarts though.

>> No.4696274

Ten average chicken carcasses
One pound onions celery and carrots rough chop.
Roast on baking sheets. 350. Golden brown.
Add to four gallons water and 1/2 pound onion celery carrots. Boil then simmer until reduced by a third.

Can that shit.

>> No.4696302
File: 4 KB, 160x136, 1311831424780.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>roast 2 chickens
>pick them clean
>use all dat meat for chicken salad or other dope shit
>save skin in bowl
>roast the carcasses until the bones are brittle and brown
>meanwhile all the mirepoix, holy trinity, or whatever fucking veggies
>combine the veg, desecrated chickens and skin, and water
>dont measure because measuring is for bakers and faggots, just enough water to cover everything nicely
>reduce gentle for a few hours until just right.
>chill
>skim
>hold some for cooking, freeze some for a rainy day
>some in freezer bags for soups
>some "stock pucks" for sauces and shit.

>> No.4696328

>>4696274
>>4696302
Speaking of canning, is there anything special to putting it in mason jars? Allow it to cool, fill it up leaving about half an inch of space, freeze it? That sound good?

>> No.4696362

>>4696328
i would not freeze in glass.

i have never canned it, but i freeze in freezer bags, or poured into muffin tins and frozen into disks. then bagged up for spontaneous use

>> No.4696390
File: 3.00 MB, 270x145, spoilers btw.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I tried to make home made chicken soup once and didn't add any stock or bullion and it turned into tasteless, veggie-filled chicken water

>> No.4696391
File: 1.04 MB, 2285x1714, 20130716_210355.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4696148
That is what happens to me too.

I use a slow cooker for making stock because I live in a rental home and there's nowhere to keep a stock pot.

>> No.4696407

>>4696390
Congrats. You learned that stock is mostly salt.

>> No.4696419

When I make chicken stock, I do it from bones. Whenever I have some chicken bones left over, I put them in a large freezer bag and save them. Once I have the accumulated the equivalent of about 4 chicken's worth of bones, I place the bones, coated with a little of the chicken fat, in my countertop oven, set to the convection setting, at 375, for about 20 minutes. Then, in a large pot, starting with cold water, I add the bones, 1 chopped onion, 3 chopped carrots, 3 chopped celery ribs, 3 crushed cloves of garlic, a handful of peppercorns, 3 bay leaves, a good amount of dried thyme, and sage, unless I know I'm making stock for a specific purpose, in which case I might change the seasonings up a bit (whole cumin/fennel seed, oregano, tarragon, etc) and about 8 chicken livers (the grocery store near me sells them for 65 cents a pound).

Put all that in a pot with about 5 quarts of water, and, from a cold start, set to medium low heat, and when it comes to a boil, pull the livers out, eat them, and then reduce to a simmer, and wait about five hours.

Strain the big chunks out with a slotted spoon, then pour into several containers, straining with cheesecloth, and store in the fridge or freezer.

>> No.4696422

>>4696419
Oh, and forgot to mention, taste and salt as you go.

>> No.4696427

I save every scrap of chicken bones and bits in the freezer until I have at least nearly enough for a large stock pot. If I don't have enough, I'll fill it out with either some chicken parts from the store, or I'll roast a whole chicken and then use the carcass. So:
>take my bones and bits and carcasses and throw them in an oiled roasting pan.
>roast at 385F (since my oven control is digital, I like setting it to 385F, because 400F is a little too hot, and 375F is a little too cold) until bones are dark brown and aromatic, but NOT BURNT.
>Take the bones out and cool for a bit, then take a cleaver or mallet and crack all the bigger bones.
>Place all the bones and bits (and meat if you happen to have some you want to use) into a large stock pot.
>Add 2-3 scraped carrots, cut into chunks, 2 onions, cut into chunks, 3-4 celery stalks cut into chunks, 5 whole cloves garlic, a bay leaf or two, a handful of fresh thyme sprigs, a handful of parsley stems, about 10 peppercorns, and a few sprigs of fresh marjoram if I happen to have some.
>Bring to a boil and spoon out any scum that comes to the surface.
>Reduce heat to a low simmer, and simmer for several hours, until the bones have broken down as much as possible.
>Strain through a mesh sieve, really pushing on everything to extract as much as possible, then strain again through cheesecloth.
>Put into freezer containers and refrigerate overnight, then defat, leaving a very thin film of fat on top to protect it.
>Freeze until ready to use.
>Do not salt the stock. There's no reason to salt it until you're ready to salt the dish it's being used in.

DAT GELATINOUS GOODNESS.

>> No.4696434

>>4696091
says the man who doesnt own a pressure cooker and has not cooked anything in a pressure cooker

>> No.4696562

>>4696427
Hooray! I've done something right then. I haven't salted it yet, pretty much for the same intention of only adding it until I'm using it in a dish.

>> No.4696575

>>4696562
Right on anon. Yeah, stock should really never be salted unless your serving it straight up as a soup. (which is great when your sick. I sip on mugs of hot chicken broth when I'm sick, like a beverage, works wonders.) But I digress....anyway, I never salt my stock until I salt the dish I'm using it in.

>> No.4696578
File: 234 KB, 1260x945, chicken stock2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Progress on the stock. Looks and tastes much better now, but it still has a bit longer to go for sure.

>> No.4696601
File: 26 KB, 266x354, 5676584573467.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4696063
I'm pretty lax with my stocks. They usually are going into a soup that in the end won't taste much like the stock it's made from, such as hot and sour cabbage soup, or my black bean soup, which are heavily flavored, so the exact perfect chicken stock is of no concern to me.
At the restaurant I obviously adhere to a strict recipe with all of my stocks.
At home the stock is almost always just made from the carcass and juices of two roast chickens, and whatever vegetable trimmings I've accrued. I prepare the two chickens, cool them, and pull all of the meat of for use in dishes that week, then the roasting pan gets a nice fond scraping, an onion or two, sometimes fullblown mirepoix, a splash of white wine, then as much water as it'll hold. Simmer that a while, transfer to a larger pot, add more water, trimmings, anything that might lend a versatile flavor. After 3 hours of low simmer, I drain it, cool it, refrigerate overnight, then skim off the fat and mix it with the dogs' dry chow (now they eat it right up instead of eating it as a last resort). I also will pick through the colander and grab a half cup or so of delicious chicken pieces softened and released by their bath, toss it with a little salt and homemade mayo, and eat it with crackers or bread. It's a little tradition.

>> No.4696616

>>4696063
Just throw an alive chicken in boiling water and there you go. Chicken stock.

>> No.4696630

A really good trick to storing this stuff is to freeze it in 1 Cup tupperware containers and pop them out into a ziptop.

>> No.4696756

>>4696630
It's cooling right now. I may do this when I go to freeze it.

>> No.4696779

>>4696616
'lol im so fny xdxdxd'

>> No.4696812

2 litres of water per kg of chicken.
Place chicken in pot.
Add water.
Bring to low-boil, the lower heat to maintain simmer.
Simmer until reduced in volume by half, skimming scum as it forms/as necessary.
Off the heat and cover the pot, allowing it to cool until just cool enough to handle.
Remove chicken.
Strain stock.
Clarify if necessary.
Done.

More commonly, though, I make broth. 1kg whole, bone-in, skin-on chicken breast, 2 litres of water. It's not as jellicious as stock, due to the lack of gelatin content, but it's rather tasty and a tad easier. Jellicious is a word now, cuz I said.

>> No.4697013

FYI to all the roastin fags ITT:

ROASTED CHICKEN BONES DO NOT MAKE CHICKEN SOUP

THEY MAKE FAUX BROWN STOCK

if you are thinking a roasted chicken carcass is gonna net you a bowl of grammy's chicken soup, or useable white stock for sauces, you are wrong.

making clear chicken stock for chicken soup or fowl consomme starts with RAW CHICKEN PARTS

add a whole raw chicken cut up in a pot with a bouquet garni, handful of peppercorns and bring to a simmer. cook 20 minutes, covered. remove and deflesh chicken, saving the useful meat in a large dice. return the scraps to the pot with the bones, salt well and simmer 2 hours OR 15 minutes at 15lb in a pressure cooker.

finely julienne carrots, celery, and onion, about 1.5 cups of each, and place into the pot.

watch carefully. when the veg begin to simmer, turn the heat up a tiny bit to a high simmer and WATCH FOR THE RAFT.

the veg will bind with the fat and float to the top as a single unit. some chefs crack an egg in when it begins to form but is not necessary

when the raft is fully formed, SCOOP THAT NIGGER OFF and TURN DOWN THE HEAT.

carefully strain your clear stock through cheesecloth and simmer down until adequately concentrated for your needs.

This will get you chicken stock, NOT faux brown stock from roasted chicken bones, which is a poor man's replacement for veal stock.

>> No.4697056
File: 189 KB, 640x480, 2013-06-19 06.34.05.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

any stock oughtta have tomatoes, or at least the skins, because they contain a natural msg analog. that is all.

>> No.4697059

>>4697056

ummmm

>no

>> No.4697069

>>4697059
>never heard of umami

Do you even culinary science?

>> No.4697073

>>4697013
>THEY MAKE FAUX BROWN STOCK

No shit. If you want dark chicken stock then you roast the bones first. If you want white chicken stock then you don't. They're different things for different purposes.

Personally I tend to make the dark version more often because it's a better match for the things that I use the stock for.

>> No.4697078

>>4697056

You should just stop being a pussy and add MSG to your dishes, instead of trying to sneak in 'analogs'

>> No.4697079

>>4697069

first, umami is the japanese word for savory. Speak English. Use the original, correct word, not the made-up replacement.

Do you even traditional cuisine?

You can't put tomatoes into clear stocks, dummy.

>> No.4697091

>>4697079

Savory is a loanword from French. Why do you hate your own culture?

>> No.4697171

>>4696063
>Chicken stock, /ck/. How do YOU make it? Do you have a special recipe or certain items you like to include?
I'm not that anal about it, it's not one of those things that has to be treated as sacred or sacrosanct in my household (so obviously I'm not Japanese or Jewish).

Usually I throw in everything that's left from a roast chicken, or from roast chicken drumsticks or thighs, with a stick or two of celery, some carrot and a large onion (with the papery skins if I want a better colour).

If I don't care that it's cloudy I'll boil it for a short while, then simmer for a couple of hours.

If I want it to be clear I bring it to no more than a fast simmer then turn it down and have it barely tick over for 3-4 hours.

Usually I'll add spices and herbs towards the end, but sometimes I'll add some black peppercorns, cloves and some whole garlic in at the start.

>> No.4697193

>>4697079
How to be an autistic dipshit in three easy steps
>1. Take an English loanword from another language
>2. Claim that the correct meaning is the meaning in the original language, not the loanword's specific meaning in English.
>3. Suggest a replacement that doesn't have the specific meaning the loanword has in English, thus being completely wrong.

>> No.4697205

While we're talking chicken stock, anyone want to weigh in on boil/don't boil WRT flavour specifically?

>> No.4697216 [DELETED] 

>>4696063
i think you're simmering too long

also, i like to let the stock cool overnight in the fridge...makes fat skimming very easy the following morning

>> No.4697222

Oh, and the word "colour" is from Latin which they spelled as "color" but the English added the "u" to be more French. How ironic.

>> No.4697248

>>4697205

It makes no difference WRT flavor. The no boiling rule is all about clarity. Boiling makes the stock cloudy (a no-no for traditional style cooking) and it also suspends more fat in it so it takes longer to skim out the fat.

>> No.4697512

>>4697013
You're full of shit. Not that there technically anything wrong with your method, but stock from roasted bones is wonderful and a fantastic base for soups and sauces. I use roasted bones and whole chicken parts. What're ya gonna do about it, bitch? (lol) What shithole culinary school did you go to, because the level of misguided rage and butthurt in your post screams mediocre culinary student.

>> No.4697534
File: 402 KB, 1259x944, chicken stock fin.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey everyone. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions! Next time I'll roast my bones for the darker color, but I didn't really care this time because I wanted the chicken meat anyway, and I figured it would just add more flavor to it. It turned out really good!

pic related. The smaller container was emptied into freezer bags and placed in the freezer. There was about an equal amount left in the larger pot, which I will probably use for recipes later this week. Success!

>> No.4697619

>>4696063
Roast your chicken bones until golden brown
chicken bones half of the pot
Cold water 80 percent of the pot
Bring up cold water to a simmer
Add sache de spices
(fucking spices)
Skim the shit on top
Add mire pox (two parts onion 1 part celery 1 part carrot)
Skim skim skim let simmer for 6-10 hours

>> No.4697624

>>4697013
your wrong

>> No.4697639

usually i get a box of thighs after doing a roast, then i roast half the thighs and the carcass with skimmed milk powder, finely chop two onions, two carrots, some mushrooms, maybe some celery, throw everything and the raw thighs in a pressure cooker, barely cover with water, bring to full pressure for 15 mins then remove from the heat and leave to depressurise on its own

pressure cooking longer than that kills it

then i process it in the usual way and generally freeze it

i don't like adding herbs to a stock

>> No.4698354

>>4697248
>It makes no difference WRT flavor.
Makes a big difference to the taste IME. Hard to describe in words but 'cleaner' maybe gives the right impression.

It definitely has a different mouthfeel (for the obvious reason, that you mention) which can affect taste by itself, but each mouthful will have more fat in it, and the fat has a taste, so it makes perfect sense that a clear stock should taste different to a cloudy one.

>>4697619
>let simmer for 6-10 hours
Overkill.

Any flavour that's coming out is fully extracted after 3, maybe 4 hours at the outside.

>> No.4699106

>>4696328
Pressure can it. Ten psi for twenty minutes. .