[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 127 KB, 806x605, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4627242 No.4627242 [Reply] [Original]

Just came back from the doctors, found out I'm lactose intolerant.

Aside from the obvious dairy products, is there anything else I should avoid? From what I remember, lactose is used a lot in sliced bread and processed meats.

>> No.4627247

Are you white?

>> No.4627249
File: 37 KB, 833x768, that feel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fellow lactose bro here.
You're fine with bread and meats.

Its milk, cheese, sour cream, ice cream, (whatever) cream products that are gonna fuck up your stomach.
Its not the end of the world, (I hardly notice 'not' having milk or dairy stuff anymore) and depending on your severity, you can still have those things
....just not in massive amounts anymore.

>> No.4627250

certain sugar-free candies
anything at lobster queen
certain muscle supplements

>> No.4627251

Sir, there are pills to manage your condition.

You don't have to cut anything from your diet if you buy them.

>> No.4627264

protip: everyone is (to some extent) lactose intolerant past infancy, but some mutants from northern europa can digest a lot more lactose than regular normal human beings.

it doesn't mean you have to avoid dairy products, it just means you have to moderate the amount you intake if you don't want gas/cramp/diarrhea. you can also take lactase supplements if you insist on eating more lactose than what you can naturally handle

i.e. there is no way i can gomad a la /fit/ without peeing it back out my butt, but milk with my cereal or some cheese in sandwich/sub/pizza is just fine

>> No.4627266

>>4627264
Kinda makes me wonder if that 'humans aren't baby cows' troll thing actually has a point.

If my body is rejecting something i'm putting into it... maby i'm not supposed to be putting it in there in the first place?

>> No.4627267
File: 98 KB, 752x643, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4627247
Ill bite. Yes, South Slav
>inb4 slavs arent white

>>4627249
Thankyou, bro

>>4627251
Doctor only recommended them for when I cant avoid lactose (Special dinners, events etc.)

>> No.4627274

Good news! You can have hard cheeses. Being LI myself, the only thing i can still eat is cheese, though infrequently.

>> No.4627276

>>4627266
allergies and intolerances aren't a good indicator of what should be good for you. They're basically your system going haywire and rejecting things that are normally fine. I was lactose intolerant as a child and no longer had any symptoms sometime into my teens, which completely goes against what one would think is a beneficial natural mechanism. Nature is bitch and is always out to kill you, never think otherwise.

>> No.4627277

>>4627266

baby humans are baby cows. when baby humans grow up they produce less lactase and are no longer as much baby cows

>> No.4627279

>>4627267

Yeah you may have to do some testing to see just how sensitive to lactose you are. I know folks that are fine eating "cooked" milk products (like say melted cheese in lasagna or pizza) with no trouble but if they so much as down a glass of milk it's like the Romanian Orchestra coming out of their pants.

As others have said you can manage it, there are pills and soy/rice/almond milks have come a long way into being actually pretty decent substitutes for things like cereal and oatmeal and the like. (My parents both decided to go full vegan to get off their cholesterol/high blood pressure medication, so the household switched to Almond Milk from Costco as a result)

There even is somewhat acceptable soy cheese as well though I honestly don't recommend it, at least not until more places start manufacturing it more. It's retardedly expensive for one, and depending on how it's made it's somewhat dubious in overall taste and quality.

But yeah getting back to the point. Try to figure out how sensitive you are first, that'll go a long way in helping you figure out what your actual tolerance level is and how much you'll have to adjust your diet.

>> No.4627318

>>4627264
>but some mutants

It's called evolution.

>> No.4627327

>>4627318
angry mutant detected

>> No.4628514

>>4627242
Well if we could all learn to be a little more tolerant toward those of the "milky" persuasion, this world would be a better place. Shame on you anon, its 2013, why are you trying to me a "milkcist?"

Seriously though, bread's fine, meat's fine. Lactose intolerance is exactly what it sounds like: if there's milk in it, don't eat it. Some people have only mild lactose intolerance though. I would test out what i could and could not eat using very small portions.