[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 259 KB, 448x268, fasting_desert.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4607387 No.4607387 [Reply] [Original]

I've decided to fast.

Some background: I am obese and addicted to soda and smoking weed. I have trouble going without some form of caffeine and feel hopeless without weed. I'm addicted to sex as well...I'm pretty much just a hedonist, always doing whatever feels good in the moment. If you put a big plate of coke in front of me, I'd do it. If you put pills in front of me, I'd do them.

Fasting occurred to me as a method to potentially break some of these chains...By cleansing and depriving my body, I can see what hurts me the most. I can see if I feel better without all these things. I'm excited about that prospect.

I was thinking of a 5 day fast with no smoking, eating, sexual activity including masturbating, and only water. Does anyone have experience with fasting? Has anyone fasted in a non-religious sense? I would love to hear from others on what kind of mental perspective it has given you.

>> No.4607392

Fasting wouldn't help you lose weight. In fact it'd prolly just make it worse.
Stop drinking soda for starters and if you get the munchies from smoking weed then switch your snacks from gas station crap to something a bit healthier.
I'm not sure what sex has to do with any of this, but do what you want with that. Either way, cut out soda and switch to water/teas. Lower your red meat intake, stop eating gas station burritos and just lower your food intake in general and you'll see some obvious changes in a good month or two if you stick with it.

>> No.4607395

>>4607392
>Fasting wouldn't help you lose weight. In fact it'd prolly just make it worse.

I am not fasting to lose weight. I have a degree in exercise science, fwiw. I am comprehensively educated on diet, nutrition, and exercise going into this.

>> No.4607397

>Does anyone have experience with fasting?
Yes.
>Has anyone fasted in a non-religious sense?
Yes.
>what kind of mental perspective it has given you.
I've always had great impulse control, so I doubt my own experiences would really be relevant to you.

>> No.4607402

>>4607397

Then why did you bother posting?

Is it possible to escape shitposting on any single board on 4chan? It doesn't look like it. Add this site to my 5 days.

>> No.4607406

shouldn't this be on /adv/

>> No.4607410

>>4607402
To open the dialog for you to question me further.

I can see that along with your cravings and indulgences, you can't control your emotions either.

>> No.4607411

>>4607406

It is. There needs to be a religion board on 4chan, but there isn't, so I posted it like 4 different places

>> No.4607409

>>4607402
And nothing of value was lost

>> No.4607412

>>4607387
>I am obese and addicted to soda
As if you're engaged in any kind of sexual activity except masturbating

>> No.4607414

>>4607410

You don't open a dialogue by withholding information and being condescending, you fucking twat. I'm not going to pursue you like some schoolgirl. You are out of the conversation as far as I am concerned.

>> No.4607418

>>4607411
Ah okay. I'd say fasting would be too much too quick. Try some brisk walks and drinking a lot of water for a bit and slowing down on the soda.

>> No.4607423

>>4607414
>withholding information and being condescending
Why should I share information with those not willing to earn it? The problem with your whole life is your inability to control yourself long enough to receive any worthwhile reward, so instead you settle for a quick fix to quell your urges.

>You are out of the conversation as far as I am concerned.
Your loss, not mine.

>> No.4607427

>>4607387
>>4607402
>>4607414
I have experience but immediately don't want to help you. Get fucked.

>> No.4607428

>>4607418

It's not difficult to fast. I have gone two weeks without eating anything before.

>> No.4607432

>>4607428
then what's the problem

>> No.4607436

Ok, I'm not a dick like OP but I want to do this as well. For about 2 weeks, just drinking water. What supplements should I be taking? I've done juice fasts before but never gone on just water and I just wanted to see what it's like.

>> No.4607445

>>4607436
is that even safe

>> No.4607449

>>4607436

You don't need any supplements except some potassium, calcium and sodium. Drink a smart water every few days.

>> No.4607452

>>4607445
One of my parents friends went for like 6 weeks on just water. I don't really know him well so I can't ask what supplements he took.

>> No.4607454

>>4607452
I've only ever heard of juice fasts so I can't help you out there. but the smart water idea might be worth looking into

>> No.4607457

Extreme behavior is extreme behavior, abandoning one for the other. Change usually occurs slowly.

>> No.4607458

just muslim-fast, like chow down from sundown to sunup and just try make it thru the rest of the day with your evening gorgefests for gastrofantasizing. throw sex and drugs into your vampire-restricted schedule too. it's great that you're not doing it to lose weight, cuz that's the main mistake people make with fasting. it just is what it is.

>> No.4607461

>>4607457

The point is not to bring about change but to gather perspective, sudden extremes are most useful for viewing different perspectives

>> No.4607475

My take on fasting is that it's not so much the physical act of not eating that's important, it's the dramatic change to your habits that shocks your system and encourages you to look at the world in different ways. That said, OP, it sounds like the bigger problem is your environment and the people around you, I'd suggest going somewhere else for a while rather than fasting.

My suggestion: put your shoes on, grab your jacket and a hat, put your wallet in your pocket, then leave a note that says 'will be back in one week, going to clear my head' (leave your phone with the note, you don't need it) and walk right out your door. Keep walking for four days (pausing only to eat and rest) before you even think about turning around.

>> No.4607476

>>4607461
excuse me, the only shift in perpective you need is from slobbing around all day to standing up right and moving around. You don't need to magically unconver some hidden truth about yourself. You just need to quit lying to yourself and sort your shit

>> No.4607482

>>4607475

You seem to think I'm surrounded by all these drug friends or something. My environment is my apartment with my girlfriend and dog. I don't do anything or hang out with anyone.

>> No.4607497
File: 508 KB, 250x188, Shame.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4607482
>I don't do anything
Exactly. Go the fuck outside and stay outside for a while, that's what will smash your routine, not changing what you eat or don't eat inside your little cage.

>> No.4607507

do three simple replacements
stop smoking weed
drink only water, coffee, or tea
Figure out your TDEE
COUNT YOUR INTAKE OF CALORIES
make sure it's at least 500 under, preferably more since you're definitely going to underestimate the calories you consume

>> No.4607545

>>4607507

I'm so confused why people think the fast is for losing weight

>> No.4607555

I've done one day fasts before. The main thing that struck me is how psychologically difficult even that can be.

Personally I'd make your fast open-ended and take it as you go...just tell your GF you're going to try fasting for a little bit. If you say 5 days, you'll probably fail, or only succeed to avoid failing, and neither is a good state of mind. You don't need a finish line to learn.

Practical tips: don't drive or use power tools, or stuff after day 1. Metabolic changes cause unpredictable changes in your mental focus.

>> No.4607556

Damn OP sounds like a real bitch. I've done a 10 day juice cleanse a couple of times. But OP is such a little bitch that he doesn't deserve my insight, or anyone else's for that matter.

>Nobody help OP

>OP is a total dip-shit

>> No.4607563

>>4607556

>Implying you "cleansed" anything by drinking juice

>> No.4607567

>>4607555
>If you say 5 days, you'll probably fail, or only succeed to avoid failing, and neither is a good state of mind.

Well said. This is the type of thought I was looking for when I posted this thread

>> No.4608195
File: 24 KB, 257x253, 1360731584573.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4607395
>I am comprehensively educated on diet, nutrition, and exercise going into this.
>obese
clearly, you have no idea what you're talking about.

>> No.4608207

>>4608195
You can know something and still do ignore it to do badly. I'd say almost all smokers are aware that smoking causes a host of health issues and they do it anyway.

>> No.4608209

post this on /fit/
>>>/health and fitness/

>> No.4608215
File: 223 KB, 1800x1332, 1360734375743.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4607387
Just leave your pathetic slob den once in a while, you fat fuck.

>> No.4608223

Bro, the biggest part of making big life changes is actually just making them.

Nike slogan yo: just do it.

Don't plan it, don't think about it, just fucking get out there and do what you know you should be doing and stop doing what you know you shouldn't be doing.

It is that simple.

But, simple is not the same thing as easy. You'll have to keep reminding yourself why you made those changes. You'll have to deal with suckiness while your body is getting used to your new, healthier routine. In the end, you will feel better and will be happier, but getting there is definitely a trial.

tl;dr: Just nut up and do it. It'll suck for a while, but then it'll all be better.