[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 73 KB, 430x290, Sausage_and_Peppers_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4581160 No.4581160 [Reply] [Original]

So I just moved to Connecticut and my coworkers have introduced me to something called "sausage and peppers"

Apparently just sliced sausage with bell peppers (and often mushrooms), in.. some sort of sauce that they didn't really spell out. It's not a marinara sauce. And you can eat this on its own, or, more frequently, between bread in something called a "grinder" (which appears to just be another word for sandwich).

And speaking of grinders, they said the most popular ones around here are chicken parmesan (they call it "parm"), eggplant parmesan, Italian ones with meats like mortadella and salami and capicola, and pulled pork but with coleslaw not BBQ sauce.

Weird huh? They're supposed to have good pizza around here too. Guess I have a lot of eating ahead of me...

>> No.4581175

>>4581160

Also, there's a loooooooooot of Polish food around here. I'd never even had pierogis before, or stuffed bell peppers (they fill them with ground sausage!). There's even a Polish deli just down the street from me but I'm kind of scared to go in.

I come from Missouri and am used to steaks and chops but it looks like sausage is the meat of the day around here.

>> No.4581211

>>4581175
CT is a foodie paradise.

Upper class assholes to fund "weird" food places?
>check
...and hire poor ethnic cleaning ladies who fund authentic eateries?
>check
with metro north taking you into NYC every day?
>fuckin check

Go to Stew Leonard's supermarket. It's so... cozy and happy.

Just stay away from Fat Cat Pie Co.

>> No.4581218

>>4581211

There's a Stew Leonard's on the Berlin Turnpike near me. I've driven by it a few times and I'm curious but haven't stopped yet. I do most of my shopping at a Stop 'n' Shop which I found just down the street from my apartment.

One thing I'll say is that I've never seen grocery stores offer pre-made tabouli or dolmas before! They're pricey but I never ever thought I'd see them on shelves alongside the hummus.

I hope there are some good Middle-Eastern and Indian places around here.

NYC being close by seems awesome but also a hassle, I'm told it's like 2 hours to get down there from New Haven so I'd have to get a hotel if I wanted to spend any real time there.

>> No.4581351

>>4581160
Where the fuck did you move from? Mars? Those are all fairly common foods.

And a grinder is not "another word for sammich". Grinder is a hoagie (a submarine with toppings in your native KY) that has cheese on top and is baked.

And the cole slaw is a sister sammich to the Reuben, which is called a Rachel. They also swap the 1000 Island for Russian. Not sure why retard expanded that out to pulled pork.

And the pizza thing is a myth. Worst pizza in the country. A little known fact about New Englanders and New Yorkers is that, since they think of their region as supreme, never really travel around the rest of the country. Then they get dilusional and think bland, tasteless crust, bland shitty cheese, and completely flavorless sauce is "best pizza". If they got out more and tried other pizza they would realize it.

There is a unique type of pizza in the new haven area that might be good, just stay away from all that shit they call "thin crust".

>> No.4581353

>>4581218
eh, it's no big deal. Just take the early commuter train down in the morning, and back late at night.

it's not like driving where the trip tires you out. Hell you can sleep through it. Much less bumpy than a car.

>> No.4581357

>>4581160
And also, there is no "s" in Pierogi. Pierogi is the singular and plural form of the word.

And if you like those, make sure to try some gnocchi.

>> No.4581378

I felt like making some sausage and peppers the other day, was the first time doing it.
I got spicy italian sausage, made those according to the package, removed and cut into about 5 pieces each. Then I put white wine in the same pan, scraped off the stuff, and added in some onions and red bell pepper slices. Cooked for a while until they were soft, put back in the sausages, a little more wine, and covered and simmered.

It stunk up the house for 2 days. I would come back from getting the mail or something and just the stench of onions was there. Loved it, but my brother didn't.

>> No.4581380

>>4581160
I like to call them grinders, because nobody around here does. They call them subs or hoagies. I even heard "hero" once. It's all the same, an entire loaf of bread cut down the center lengthwise and piling in way too much food so you gain two pounds and call it health food.

>> No.4581423

>>4581380
No. They are not the fucking same.

Example: shredded steak on a roll is a "steak sabdwich". Add cheese and it is now a cheesesteak. Add lettuce and tomato it is now a cheesesteak hoagie. Put more cheese on top and bake it, it is a cheesesteak (hoagie) grinder.

>> No.4581426
File: 58 KB, 400x400, chicago-white-sox-italian-sausage-xl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Seems a lot like the italian sausage sandwiches that are prevalent in chicago

>> No.4581430
File: 25 KB, 300x400, l (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4581426
and of course the italian beef/sausage combo

>> No.4581438
File: 136 KB, 863x850, whattoeat_lunch_stromboli.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Be sure to look for some good stromboli OP

>> No.4581444

>>4581423
Nah, they're the same. Only you seem to think that baking a sandwich magically makes it change names.
A sub, a submarine sandwich, a hero, a hero sandwich, a hoagie, they're all synonyms for each other because it just means they used a 'hoagie' roll.

>> No.4581456
File: 966 KB, 1198x675, menu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4581351
>>4581423

You are so full of shit. CT native here (Glastonbury). There is no reason a grinder has to have cheese or be baked.

Here's part of the menu from Nardelli's.

>> No.4581467

>>4581160
Welcome to the northeast, where Italians are more concentrated than anywhere else. You're in for a whole new world of carbs.

>> No.4581479

What is with these chicken/eggplant "parmesan" or "parm" dishes?

It's seemingly breaded chicken breast with basic tomato sauce and melted cheese. They don't seem to feature actual parmesan to any great extent.

>> No.4581484

>>4581479
It's in the breading.

>> No.4581482

>>4581479

Parma is a place, so it could be implied to mean that the dish is native to the place (which it's not).

In any case, no one knows, it is a mystery.

>> No.4581483

>>4581479
its usually mixed in with the breading in my experience.

>> No.4581490

>>4581479
its "parmigiana," which is the italian word for precisely what these dishes are

>> No.4581504

>>4581467

But... but I like meat :(

>> No.4581542

>>4581479
>>4581482
>>4581483
>>4581484
>>4581490
ItaliAnon here.

'Parmigiana' is an Italianised corruption of a Neapolitan word 'formigiana,' meaning "placed into a mould." In this case, the mould is a baking dish. When Neapolitan words enter into Italian, they are often changed somewhat, such as in this case. Likewise, when Italian words enter into Neapolitan, the same happens. Most oddly and notably, Italian PI sounds (such as in 'piu' and 'piangere') become KI sounds in Neapolitan ('kiu' and 'kiannere').

Traditionally, parmigiana is made with vegetables as the main ingredient, not meat. While parmigiana of the eggplant variety has made its way across the pond, it's structure has changed entirely. Neapolitan parmigiana has the vegetables (eggplant, zucchine, cucuzza etc) sliced into thin ribbons, usually with a vegetable peeler and the thin slices are deep-fried briefly to remove bitterness, then drained. The Americanised version, however, has no zucchine variation and is made with breaded, relatively thick slices of eggplant that are fried until GBD. The only version in Italy/Naples that is breaded before frying is squash blossom (otherwise it will not hold its shape) and occasionally artichoke.
Cucuzza, an old world squash/gourd, is completely unknown in north America.
Furthermore, the original can be made with tomato, onion or besciamella sauces while the latter two are entirely unheard of in NA. The asparagus version is dressed with none of those three sauces but rather with Neapolitan carbonara (similar to the Roman version, but generally lacking meat and with a more custardy texture).
The Chicken version is an American creation. We don't have it in Italy. In the US 'parmigiana' has come to mean "dressed with tomato sauce and cheese" and is not necessarily a casserole, such as in the case of chicken parm and meatball parm.
My favourite parmigiana? An Italian veg called 'cardone' ('gobbi' in Neapolitan).

>> No.4581593

>>4581542
i feel like I learned something but already forgot it.

I want to learn italian. You guys seem like bros and I wish to enjoy Italy without being an asshole.

>> No.4581613

>>4581593
Learning Italian would be beneficial to you, yes, but not generally necessary. Unlike the French, we're not unpleasant to those who don't speak the local language. In fact, the French are jerks even to those who speak French if they happen to speak with a foreign accent. Awful people, the French.

>> No.4581629

>>4581613

Learning at least enough Italian to start a conversation was greatly appreciated when I was there. Mi dispiatche, non parlo italiano (? sorry, been years) got a much better reaction that rude Americunts just screaming "WHY DON'T YOU SPEAK ENGLISH?!?!?!"

>> No.4581856

D&D italian market in hartford. go get their steak peppers and mushroom stuffed bread calzoney kinda thingamabob.

>> No.4581888

>>4581629
Well, being rude is met with similarly rude responses almost anywhere you are in the world. Miming and ideograms often work where language barriers exist. Of course, having at least minimal understanding of the language helps a great deal.

And it's "mi dispiace," though you spelt it phonetically for an English-speaker. C in Italian is pronounced identically to English and Spanish CH (and English TCH) when before an E or an I. Before an A, O or U, it is pronounced as K is. Our pronunciation rules greatly affected Ataturk, who introduced and spread it officially in Turkey in 1929. He was obsessed with Italy, though he fought in the ItaloTurkic war. This is why Turkey uses the Lira as currency and uses Italian pronunciation rules for its alphabet. He also based the 1926 Turkish penal codes after the Italian ones and closed Islamist courts in Turkey.

>> No.4581974
File: 15 KB, 320x290, 1371699136869.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4581438
>stromboli
>rolled together like some sort of italian pinwheel
>mfw pizza places in Michigan just make stromboli as a pizza folded in half and then cooked
>I will never have awesome stromboli
>just fancy pizza pockets

>> No.4582042

>>4581456
lol GRINDERS .. former 06447fag here ... man, i used to work graveyard shift at that Whole Donut in Glastonboring--as i heard it referred to by a couple of drunken sows one night

>> No.4582052

>>4582042

I went to the Moe's in Glastonbury a while ago and the number of hot white teenage/college chicks was off the charts

>> No.4582085

Killingworthfag here - moved from NYC a few years back and have yet to find a decent pizza anywhere.

thank god my neighbor is a retired chef who has his own outdoor brick oven and loves to drop off food all the time - his meatballs are the best I've ever had (sorry gramma) as is his pizza, but he likes my sauce better and is now using it.

>> No.4582495
File: 125 KB, 600x447, hungryhowies-sandwich.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4581974
> >stromboli
> mfw pizza places in Michigan just make stromboli as a pizza folded in half and then cooked

You can thank people like these idiots who claim there is no difference between one sandwich and another, just because they don't understand it.

The calzone/stromboli confusion is perhaps the worst. Pic related. They call it a sandwich officially but some of the stores call it calzone. It is neither and doesn't eveb qualify as stromboli althought that's what it is most like.

>> No.4582521

>>4581218
There's a restaurant in Branford called Darbar India, it's pretty authentic

>> No.4582531

Berlin eh.. I'm in the Danbury area (which is full of hispanics) so its not tough to get some good mexican.

I've never been to Sally's, but Pepe's is somewhat overrated. Good pizza? Yes. Best in the country? Doubt it, I don't even think its the best in CT. I like Colony Pizza much more, it's in fairfield and stamford

>> No.4582535

>>4581351
>A little known fact about New Englanders and New Yorkers is that, since they think of their region as supreme

Yeah, this is true. CT fag here, CT-centric as hell. Before I went to college I assumed that anyone NOT from new england or california was a physically retarded redneck. Then I kept meeting cool, good looking people from places like missouri. A lot cooler and better looking than me, to boot

>> No.4583242
File: 197 KB, 1600x923, Mini Sweets.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4581160
Forgive me if I missed it, but what layer of Hell did you live in before moving?
I've lived in NY and PA all my life, been to a number of other states over the years. Almost every home improvement store I've seen has a little stand in front of it selling these, every sub shop, (non-kosher) deli, and local pizza place makes sausage and pepper subs, and a couple of the chain pizza places, too.

And if you want stuffed peppers but 1000 times better, use the same meat/rice/onion/spice mix and slap em inside mini sweet peppers halved lengthwise and wrap em in bacon to be extra American.

>> No.4583271

>>4581218
>berlin turnpike
fuck anon, I live in tolland. Want to uhh cook food together or something?

>> No.4583306

>>4581613
>In fact, the French are jerks even to those who speak French if they happen to speak with a foreign accent. Awful people, the French.
This is so depressingly true. I'm relatively good at French and my accent is pretty excellent, but make even one mistake and they'll act like you just took a shit on their flag and then smeared it all over their face. Meanwhile I've barely been learning Italian a year and I'm fucking terrible, but all the Italians I've tried speaking to with my babby-tier skills are just delighted that I'm trying, it's so great.

>> No.4583542

I can order food, ask directions, say please/thankyou/I'm sorry/how much in Dutch, Russian, Italian, French, Spanish, Portugese, German, Mandarin, Japanese, but only the french in urban areas are twats for missing a pronoun, so I gave up and only talk like Inspector Clouseau (in English) as a fuck you.

>> No.4584695

>>4582535

I moved to the west end of hartford and I cover the area north of there for work. I never thought of connecticut as having rednecks, but jesus christ, i went to rockville and thought I was in west virginia.

>> No.4584750

>>4584695
hah! i grew up in Marlborough.. went to RHAM High School ... very strong redneck vibe there .... left the east coast in the late 1980s and never looked back

>> No.4585106
File: 1.23 MB, 2560x1920, 2012-11-29 01.22.58.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4581160
I make shit like that all the time. Simple, onions, peppers, meat. Taddah.

>i just dont take a picture every time

>> No.4585114

>>4583306

It's because the french are all pissed their culture is shit and being replaced by kabobs because not even the French can stand to fuck other French people for the purpose of reproduction.

They're like Japan, except so short-sighted they didn't even bother to get going with the robotics programs.

>> No.4585639

off topic, but is Mammoon's still around? New Havenfags?

>> No.4585645

If you want good Asian food, try Char Koons in South Glastonbury.
or Pho Boston in West Hartford.

Also Wood n Tap in Hartford is fantastic, don't go to the Vernon one, it's shit

>> No.4585671
File: 85 KB, 300x254, 1311324981557.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4585106
>drinking milk

>> No.4585676

>>4585671
All day, baby
All
Day

>> No.4585684

>>4583306
Same ItaliAnon from earlier ITT here.
I speak French, too, and damned well, I might add. However, I sound like someone from Piedmont or Aosta, areas of Italy where French and French dialects are common, so I have a definite foreign accent and a slightly different vocabulary.
For example, I have to catch myself to not say "settante," "huitante" and "nonante." Rather, I should use "soixante dix," "quatre vingts" and "quatre vingts dix" for "seventy," "eighty" and "ninety" respectively. Know why this is dumb? Because standard French is so fucking retarded that it completely fucking lacks a single word for each "seventy," "eighty" and "ninety." Instead, it says, literally, "sixty and ten," "four twenties" and "four twenties and ten" respectively for those three numbers. Fuck that. "Settante," "huitante" and "nonante" make fucking sense, jerks!

The only French-speakers who are pleasant are southern French and the Walloon. Northerners and Monégasque are complete fucks and the neighbouring Romands aren't too far behind (but that's cuz they're Swiss and Swiss tend to be distant, though not necessarily unpleasant, anyway).

The French behave as though it's still 1800-something and they still matter (they don't). At least Italy knows it hasn't been shit since forever and we don't pretend we still are.

>> No.4585696
File: 17 KB, 316x208, doom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Cole slaw pulled pork
This what happens when the north tries to Barbeque

>> No.4585702

>>4585696
You can't knock it til you tried it, because it tastes fucking wonderful
And I know people don't consider FL the South, but goddam they had some shitty BBQ. Worse than CTs at any rate.

>> No.4585703

i was just given a big bag of susage pork chunks that look just like this.. im interested

>> No.4585706

>>4585702
Yeah im from Florida, i dont consider us a southern state so thats why our barbeque is so shit but you go to the Carolinas or [shudders] Texas and you'll never look at BBQ the same again.

>> No.4585712

Isn't that just the cutest thing

>> No.4585713
File: 56 KB, 600x400, MerrittCanteen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4581160
where did you move to? ct fag here.

>> No.4585716

You want Burger? Shady Glens in Manchester or Harry's Place in Colchester

Not much else outside of that worth going to

>> No.4585721
File: 83 KB, 620x585, 1369748443008.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4585713
Newtown native by the way.

living in fairfield/bridgeport currently. the access i have to ethnic food is unbelievable.

>> No.4585725

>>4585706
>Being from the lowest of the "PRAISE JAYSUS" states
>Insulting Texas
wut

>> No.4585730

hey op i grew up in ct

not sure where you live but you mentioned the berlin turnpike some im gonna tell u a few places i think you need to get to.

get down to hartford and hit up franklin avenue you want to go down to moscatos bakery. for kick ass authentic italian bakery. get some fresh canolis you wont be disappointed.

if you wanna do the whole pizza thing and your ever in manchester by the mall look up worcester street pizza. great pizza wonderful chewy dough with just a hint of burnt crust that makes it so great.

you want to hit up a small town diner have the best cheese burger of your life. goto shady glen. crispy cheese cheese burgers and home made ice cream.

good luck op

>> No.4585745

i think op mispelled chicago..... seriously

>> No.4585760

>>4585716
dat Shady Glen cheese

>> No.4585766

>>4585730
>moscatos
Mozzicatos is pretty over priced, but they are good

Also Wooster St. Pizza is shit, you go there for the wings, ,not the pizza

>> No.4585768

>>4585725
>Implying florida is a Jesus state
Naw bro. Its mostly northerners and immigrants. I insult Texas because in order to get to the good food you have to go to the unlivable parts of it. You ever tried to get a good rack of ribs in Austin? Aint happening.

>> No.4585807

>>4585768
I assume you mean Miami or something. I've only been to the panhandle and they have more churches than grocery stores.

>> No.4585814

>>4585807
The panhandle is called redneck riviera for a reason

>> No.4585881

>>4585721
wow you moved from a shit part to another shit part

you want from a town created when the psych wards emptied out to the town of the police state

>> No.4585887

>>4585768

Possibly because Texas BBQ focuses on beef, primarily the brisket. Texas has better BBQ than almost any part of the south. Their pork isn't great, but at least it's not slathered with ketchup like KC style.

>> No.4585935

>>4585768
Smittys in Lockhart. Done.

>> No.4586309

>>4581160
dont you mean parmigiana not parmisan