[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 30 KB, 380x380, Stir-Fry_Vegetables.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4568343 No.4568343 [Reply] [Original]

hey, /ck/. typical poor student here. what do you guys usually add as flavor enhancement/sauce when you do some basic stir fry with...say stir fry vegetables and some chicken breast, or any meat in general?

>> No.4568350

Rittre bit soy
Rittre bit oysta sauce
Den you do da eat

>> No.4568352

>>4568350
ooo sankyuu anonimasu san

>> No.4568354

Try adding garlic, ginger, soy, maggi, oj and even some watered down tom yum paste, not all at once mind you, a stir fry is really just a blank canvas in terms of flavour

>> No.4568359

If you're poor, you don't need to use much more than soy sauce and a few drops of chili paste or toasted sesame oil. Ponzu is about the same price as soy and has some hint of vinegar and citrus which brightens it up. For flavor on your meat, just get it browned.

If you want to invest and spend more, and have a whole kitchen. I make a slurry of corn starch and water, and to that I add soy or tamari, curry paste, ginger, citrus zest or orange juice, sesame seeds, green onions, cilantro, almonds....you get the point, you make it yourself. It's kind of easy to mock up some satay peanut sauce with minimal ingredients too.

>> No.4568363

>>4568359
oh damn, adding curry powder sounds like a great idea! im gonna give that one a shot

>> No.4568402
File: 14 KB, 233x300, msg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

don't believe the hype, get this

>> No.4568517

>>4568363
Actually, usually I take last night's cold rice leftover, and any bits of the last bite of stir fry, and curryize it for a morning friend rice brunch. Adding curry completely changes the recipe, as does the egg.

>> No.4568535

Mushroom dashi/stock, oyster sauce

>> No.4568590

>>4568352
9/10 would laugh again

>> No.4568595

>>4568402
Second.
There is this whole irrational hatred of MSG, and while yes, you shouldn't use too much of it, it really adds a whole bunch of flavor to simple dishes.
>>4568359
Sriracha and crunchy peanut butter makes a fine if slightly boring quick satay sauce.

>> No.4568681

>>4568595
totally... The worst thing is when I go out to buy some prepared food, the highest quality brand is also "MGS-FREE!" I wish MSG was sold separately, it is actually probably less dangerous than table salt... Glutamate is just an amino acid in the end, there is more of the same food stuff in a little piece of meat.

>> No.4568689

>>4568343
i do:
4 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs soy
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp fish sauce
then chili to your preference and garlic

>> No.4569045

>>4568681

msg is sold seperately lol

go to any asian foods store and you'll find giant shakers of the stuff

>> No.4569067

Mrs. Dash and oil, all you need

>> No.4569403

>>4568343
mae ploy with szechuan

YOUR WELCOME

>> No.4569527

mix to your taste in quantities to your taste:
soy sauce
ginger(sauce)
curry powder / five spice
honey (goes well with soy, add it in the last few seconds because that shit gets black real quick)
ground cumin (don't add too much)

also nice, but dont combine with any of the above:
thyme, rosemary, oregano for a more Mediterranean flavour (add balsamic leaves last, they loose flavour pretty quick imho)

be creative

>> No.4569542

Dashi, Plum-Sauce, Okonomiyaki Sauce, Curry.
For OP's pic I would say some Dashi and Plum-sauce as well as grated fresh Ginger.

>> No.4569550
File: 36 KB, 316x600, soba-sauce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Another thing: Soba Sauce > Soysauce

>> No.4569565

>>4569527
oh tip: buy a large piece of ginger on the market

peel and slice into <1mm thick slices
put them in boiling water, let it boil for 15 minutes or something
throw away water (way too spicy for me)
add fresh water and boil again for 10-15 minutes
add quite a lot of sugar (no idea how much i do this on the eye)
now stay with it and start to evaporate the water
keep going till you reach the consistency of honey
pour though a sieve and collect the juice --> ginger sauce, nice for marinades (please skip on the sugar in the marinade recipe) pour it over ice cream etc etc, great for giving a nice flavour

the ginger slices should be laid out so that they can dry, sprinkle them with sugar while they are still moist, let them dry for a day --> ginger candy, first it's sweet but after a few moments ...

>> No.4569596

ginger, soy, and five spice are your basic friends

>> No.4569607

I'm interested in making a good asian stir fry sauce. I've made a list of popular ingredients from this thread and Wikipedia.

These would be added with the meat
>sesame oil
>garlic
>ginger

These would be added after the meat is removed and the vegetables are put in?
>soy sauce
>oyster sauce
>corn starch
>sugar/honey
>chili sauce
>orange zest
>rice (wine?) vinegar

Is all this too much? Nobody in this thread mentioned the vinegar but Wikipedia did. Seems like it might be needed to balance everything. Thoughts?

>> No.4569612

>>4569607
Forgot to add five spice to this list.

>> No.4569620

>>4569607
i always add some vinegar to the meat ( i love to marinade meat)

basic marinade:
oil (rice bran)
soy sauce
vinegar
ginger

optional:
chili(sauce)
five spice
curry powder
crushed cumin seeds
ginger sauce
etc

btw, use a plastic bag to store your meat + marinade, just pull all the air out and tie a knot. perfect coverage

>> No.4569660

I prepared a stir fry for lunch today.
Ginger, garlic and chili cut into matchsticks.
A bit of oil.
Sauté until fragrant.
Add cut-up breast meat.
Sauté until about half cooked.
Add snowpea pods.
Sauté a half minute or so.
Add sliced mushrooms.
Add spears of bell pepper.
Add sweet soy sauce.
Add salt to taste.
Off the heat but continue stirring about a final half minute or so.
Eat with rice.

Ayam tumis kecap manis dan sayuran.

>> No.4569673

turkey instead of chicken/pork/beef is a nice variation

>> No.4570768

>>4569607
I found this http://www.fortysomething.ca/2012/05/15_basic_stir_fry_sauce_recipes.php

15 recipes that combine most of those ingredients. Fucking awesome.

>> No.4572164

Try Mirin instead of sugar... Also if you use 5 spice, get a good brand, not that cheap shit with licorice.