[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.18 MB, 209x180, 1343770827236.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4533387 No.4533387 [Reply] [Original]

Hi, I don't browse this board often but I'm just wondering something.

I recently tried a Japanese place and I've been to millions of Chinese places.

How come the soy sauce and white rice at the Japanese place were SOOOO much better than what I've always gotten from Chinese places?

>> No.4533404

Rice usually served in Japanese and Korean restaurants are short grain. Rice served at Chinese restaurants is usually medium grain. As Japanese and Korean restaurants are restricted to short grain which is generally of higher qualities, the average quality of rice is better. There's a larger variety of medium grain rices and a lot of medium grain rices that don't taste good but are extremely cheap. Often, Chinese restaurants will use these types.

As for the soy sauce, did you look at the brand?

>> No.4533426

>>4533404
No. The chinese places usually just give me packets.

But this Japanese place serves it in a container if you are carrying it out and if you are dining in then they will pour it into these fancy dipping plates.

>> No.4533444

Rice - Japanese/Korean restaurants use superior quality rice (Some Chinese places use short-grain too but it's probably an inferior brand).

With soy sauce it's pretty much the same thing. The way most Chinese restaurants (Or most Chinese products in general) is sell cheap products in high volume. This tactic is very good in competing with other businesses but the consumer is left with sub-par products.

A Chinese friend told me this which rings true - When Americans compete they figure out how to make their product better, when Chinese compete they figure out how to make it cheaper.

>> No.4533449

>>4533426

Packets are shit quality, that's probably why.