[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 117 KB, 640x480, fujiwaranashiji.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4506889 No.4506889 [Reply] [Original]

I'm in love.
finished putting an edge on a pretty gyuto for home
also, knife thread

>> No.4506893

Very nice, what did you use?

>> No.4506895
File: 77 KB, 640x480, fujiwara.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

out of the box edge was shit, but it took a new one with relative ease doesn't seem any less sharp after making a large batch of pico de gallo

>> No.4506897

>>4506893
bester 700, bester 1k, chosera 2k, chosera 5k, chosera 10k

>> No.4506898

Looks like it had a kurouchi finish at one point

And yeah a lot of nice japanese knives don't have the best factory edge.

>> No.4506906
File: 93 KB, 640x480, nashijiclose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

close up of the finish
the spine is eased, too, which was a nice surprise
I might bring it in to work, see if it is that much more comfortable than the hiromoto over long periods. feels like it might be so far

>> No.4506913

>>4506898
it's referred to specifically as nashiji, but yeah, very similar
it's san-mai with the outer being soft stainless, inner is supposed to be high carbon, but I'm not sure that it's all that high. no patina even after 15 tomatoes, 2 onions, a couple limes, 4 jalapenos, quick wipe, and cilantro
that's part of why I want to bring it in to work, really test the patina and edge retention

>> No.4506917

>>4506913
Does it have the thick spine like the kurouchi knives? I always hated that and just lean towards normal carbon or stainless because I prefer the thinner, and lighter knives.

>> No.4506924

>>4506898
and yeah, I'm not concerned with OOTB edge, really
was a little worried that the handle would be horrible, since I read a few bits on forums about people hating them
mine came decent, though. it's not exactly flush with the blade, but I'm ok with that, since it has a rustic look anyway
the bolster is fit snugly, and all is solid, so works for me

>> No.4506926

>>4506917
it is a thicker gyuto, but still quite a bit thinner than german
I like a bit of heft, so that's perfect for me
it's also balanced blade heavy, which some won't like, but that suits me too

>> No.4506982

>>4506889
anyone have exp with white #1? Only carbon knife I've owned is the hiromoto, which I really like, but the patina develops fast. Wondering if white #1 doesn't typically patina as fast as the AS line, which would surprise me.

>> No.4507235

>>4506897
>chosera 10k

Someone has money

>>4506982

I have a white steel usuba but I don't know if it's 1 or 2. I don't allow it to patina because of the kind of knife it is. But judging by the way the back side likes to get rust spots that I have to clean up, I'd probably want to force it.

>> No.4507255

>>4506889
That's looks like a lovely edge. You have some good skills if you freehanded it, 'grats.

Also
>deep pockets

>>506982
>Only carbon knife I've owned is the hiromoto, which I really like, but the patina develops fast.
My old carbon steel knives were like that, drove me mad in use. You ever try oiling or waxing the steel?

>> No.4507786

>>4507235
>>4507255
I'm not poor, but I don't have a ton of money, either. I'm just a kitchen geek
I'll scrounge for months to get one thing.
Built up my stones over the last 5 years with other stuff in between.
thanks for the compliments
been sharpening since I was a kid, so I'd hope I've gathered some skill over that time.
The 10k and even the 5k aren't truly necessary IMO, but they put a nice polish on the edge, and it does help the edge last longer. Can get a sharp enough edge to shave with on the 2k, but you'd risk some nicks.
On the carbon:
I let the hiromoto keep some patina, because it's clad in stainless as well, so it's just the edge that darkens, and it looks neat. I did keep it oiled and polished for the first year that I owned it, but if I wasn't vigilant in wiping every 3-4 tomatoes, it'd start to patina. Bringing the new knife in to work today, so I'll see what it really takes on this one.

>> No.4507891

I am terribly surprised that no one in this thread is telling OP he wasted his money. Am I even on /ck/?

>> No.4507920

>>4507891
OP here
I am too, really.
Not even one:
PLEB Y U NO USE KATANA
not feeling the love, man

>> No.4507942

>>4507920
>PLEB Y U NO USE KATANA
Or at the very least "Weeb steal is best steal."
What do you recommend for deburring HRC 65 steel?

>> No.4507988

Looks shitty

>> No.4507996
File: 481 KB, 4115x880, SKS-105.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I purchased a MAC SKS 105 two weeks ago.

I am in love with MAC knives. Their Ultimate Series is godly.

>> No.4508014

>>4507942

cubic boron nitride on kangaroo leather. a kanayama strop works too but it's kind of overkill on such soft steel.

>> No.4508018

>>4508014
HRC 65 is soft? Since when?

>> No.4508034

>>4507942
I find that with the 5k and particularly with the 10k, there's not much burr left to deal with. My finishing strokes are light, alternating blade side each stroke. A few rubs with a cork or strop will get rid of any burrs at that point. If I don't bother with the higher grits, I'll usually run it on the cork a little more.

>> No.4508045

>>4508034
>I find that with the 5k and particularly with the 10k, there's not much burr left to deal with
That is what I thought, I have a 8-12k grit kitayama super polish stone and after I use it there doesnt seem to be much of a burr but I thought I would ask anyway.

>> No.4509391
File: 123 KB, 640x480, patinita.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It took a little patina, but not a lot. I think I'll let it develop. I like the detail it has started to bring out.
>>4507996
Nice. Bro of mine has one. Good knife, for sure.
>>4508045
how do you like the kitayama?

>> No.4510205

>>4509391
It is really good, I have found that the best results I get from it happen after I use a different 8k and 10k stone first. It also doesn't seem to take as much time as other synthetic stones to work up a good mud. I think this is due to the inclusion of natural stone bits as well. Over all I would recommend it regardless of the fact that it is best when use with other lower grit stones. If you dont have an 8k and 10k just use it longer to slowly get up in grits. A downside is due to the magnesium oxide (or some other metal, I dont remember which right now) in it it will degrade in water if you soak it for too long.

>> No.4510249

>>4507891
>I am terribly surprised that no one in this thread is telling OP he wasted his money. Am I even on /ck/?

I'm independently wealthy and don't really work. My great grandfather was a very influential man in the rail road and steel scenes back in the day.

As such.. I've lived a life of relative ease. Never having to work.. Most of my cooking has been done for me.. but as a hobby sometimes I like to roll my sleeves up and get in the kitchen. We have only ever had the finest German steel in our knife blocks... Well.. there are a couple vacation properties that we own that aren't as well equipped.. but this is beside the point..

My father's Butler has always had the knives sharpened every quarter by a diabetic black fellow who only has 1 foot. At least I think he is black.. he's very dark skinned because he only sharpens knives in the sun, on our West lawn between the hours of 11:30 and 3:30.. His name is Jimbo and he claims that in the bright sunlight you can see how sharp the blade is best. We speculate he lost his foot to diabetes, but my Mom thinks it may have been a horrible sharpening accident. Anyway.. that's also beside the point.. but you get the idea.

I see a lot of talk of Japanese knives on here. It seems everyone likes them except for the odd flamer. Jimbo says they are shit and won't hold an edge. He said if we switched to Japanese steel he would have to come by weekly. Is he right? Are they really that much worse at holding an edge? Should I tell papa to get a couple Japanese knives so we can see if they are better than German? If so.. what kind should we get? Will they need sharpening as often as Jimbo says?

Keep in mind.. we are indepedently wealthy.. and if Jimbo has to come by weekly then so be it. We just need to make sure we have the best. Don't want the neighbors or any of our guests to think ill of us.

>> No.4510256

>>4510249

When it comes to sharpening, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. And by "dog" I mean "nigger", and by "tricks" I mean sharpening techniques. The german methods are not applicable to japanese steel and will probably ruin them.

Fire Jimbo, and hire a mexican or fujianese. Send them away to study with a japanese knife sharpener for a week, and switch everything to japanese knives. You'll thank me later.

>> No.4510263

>>4510256

This sounds like oddly racist, weeb advice.

>> No.4510269

>>4510249
Needs work kid.

>> No.4510271

>>4510256

Well, remember, it's really speculation that he is black. He is dark skinned and speaks with a slightly british accent.

My father had him sent to Japan's Seki-City, Gifu-Prefecture as well as Germany's Solingen to study knife manufacture and sharpening as part of our quarterly contract for sharpening. We keep him on retainer. We have him do other jobs around he house as well, not just knives. My dad is kind of crazy about keeping sharp knives in the house. And yet... we only have German steel... I've never really asked him why this is. I suppose it could be a good topic during our memorial day festivities.

>> No.4511044
File: 10 KB, 170x299, ewoks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Weebs.

>> No.4511139
File: 7 KB, 207x244, headshoe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh come on
you guys aren't even trying

>> No.4511193

>>4510249

You need to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIw5ChGOADE

>> No.4511346

>>4511193
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIw5ChGOADE

That guy says knives sharpened that way will hold an edge for 6 months.. then how come sushi chefs sharpen their knives daily? Also.. he calls that thing a sharpening steel.. That's not a sharpening steel.. that's a honing steel. You don't sharpen a knife with a honing steel.. you hone it. If he is sharpening his knives with a honing steel.. then no wonder he thinks japanese knives are superior... He isn't using a sharpened german blade...

>> No.4511355

>>4511346

It looks like a ceramic rod which is a little different from your average grooved steel. Nevertheless I agree, and I interpreted it as a knowledgeable guy trying to impart basic information to a completely ignorant audience of home users who had just acquired a global knife, accustomed to neglecting their german knives.

There are a lot of confusing and awful videos out there. Ever seen the Korin DVD? I bought it after I already had some knowledge, and I figured damm, that guy knows more than me so I better listen. It was a real setback and I shouldn't have listened. A lot of things aimed at complete n00bs distort the facts in a misguided effort to make things seem "simple"

>> No.4511686

>>4511355
There are a few reasons for this, but the main reason is that there are so many different results you can finish on after sharpening. Some people are happy with mediocre results, and will annoyingly post videos on how they achieve mediocraty. Others who sharpen for a living will show methods that are geared heavily towards speed and efficiency, and they tend to sharpen very obtuse angles for edge longevity because their customers can't look after their shit. Then there are the fanatic hobbiests, who chase for perfection and - in my opinion - are the best people to learn from.

No matter how good or bad you are at sharpening, there will be people out there who think you can do an amazing job, and others who think your knife could be much sharper.

That's the beauty of it, you can't put a number on how sharp your knife is. Unfortunately that also means it's very hard to explain what end product you are trying to achieve in a tutorial.

Hanging hair tests are one of the best methods we have for comparing sharp knives. It's a rather rustic way to compare because of the inconsisticies in the hairs, methods, etc. Even so, it's a good target to strive for, and I wouldn't attempt to even begin learning from anyone that couldn't achieve it for themselves.

http://youtube.com/UsgPG-HOzd0&hd=1<wbr>

>> No.4511698
File: 422 KB, 1280x1024, razorjb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4511686
Oops, that didn't work...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsgPG-HOzd0&hd=1