[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 14 KB, 400x300, Knifewhole.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4472674 No.4472674 [Reply] [Original]

Ok /ck/, here's the deal:

I'm starting Uni in September and I'm gonna be self catered, so I thought I would get some relatively good but inexpensive knives that will hold a good edge and not cost a fortune. After looking around on various websites, I found that Victorinox knives (pic related) were highly recommended as both cheap and high quality. I decided I to get a serrated parer (3" or 4") and a Chef's knife (6" or 7") which would be about £25 for both. However, the other day I came across a shop selling them and although the blades looked good, the handles felt like shit and I would rather get something better. Looking at the Victorinox with wooden handles, they are more expensive (roughly £40 for the two knives). So my question is this, is it worth getting the two wooden handled Victorinox knives for £40, or are there better knives I could get for that money? Also, will two knives be enough, baring in mind I won't be doing any gourmet cooking, just relatively basic student meals.

tl;dr: What knives are good and inexpensive for a student? And how many/what type should I get?

Any advice is helpful, thanks!

>> No.4472683

Yea that would be enough, but I wouldn't get a serrated paring knife. I personally (student, do plenty of cooking) have a chefs knife, a paring knife and a small serrated bread knife. If there is a TKMaxx near you they often have decent knifes in for good prices.

>> No.4472682

This is a pretty good lot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Piece-Knife-Set-E72404/dp/B004NP9Z4U/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

>> No.4472684

>>4472682
I personally would not get these, they aren't very good.

>> No.4472691

>>4472682
>>4472684
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid gimmicky knives that use 'colourful' as they're selling point.

>>4472683
Hmmm, maybe. I suppose I could get a straight edge good parer, and then a really cheap bread knife. I was avoiding going for a bread knife because I really can't see myself using it very often.

>> No.4472699

>>4472684
What's bad about them?

I've been using the purple one for a couple of months now and it's still sharp as ever.

>> No.4472709

>>4472699
They just don't feel particularly sturdy, and I personally think they could do with being a bit heavier.

>>4472691
I only bought a bread knife in the last few weeks. Until then I had made do with the chefs knife, but it gets annoying trying to cut baguettes and rolls with a plain edge.

>> No.4472727

Bumping for any more advice on a good brand of knives

>> No.4472733
File: 234 KB, 1600x1200, IMG_5637.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I would get the one chef's knife and spend the money you save on some sharpening gear. If your student life is anything like most people, that knife is going to get abused by random strangers occasionally, so unless you keep it under lock & key, so you'll want something for restoring the edge and removing deep gouges (250-400 grit) and something to put a working edge (800-1200 grit). Anything beyond that is probably overkill until you get into a safer environment.

Having one sharp knife on hand is better than having two knives or fancy handles.

>> No.4472737

Depending on your luck with roommates and how much money's worth of items you're willing to risk, it might be worth waiting until you move out in 2nd year to get decent knives. I'm coming to the end of my first year, spent with an old hand-me-down kitchen devil vegetable knife thing so I'm monitoring this thread to decide what to upgrade to.

>> No.4472739

>>4472733
This!

Have a look at the Gyutos in the Fujiwara FKM Series

http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries.html#FKM

>> No.4472745

>>4472739
Haha, they look nice but they're a bit out of my price range :(

>> No.4472750

>>4472745
You may rethink your price range or save up a little, if you buy cheap knifes you'll probably end up getting better ones anyway.

>> No.4472768
File: 131 KB, 750x250, Gyuto5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4472750

Listen to this guy if you enjoy crying every time a drunk or stoned 20 year old uses your $150 61 HRC weeb sword to cut up a tray of lasagne or open canned food.

Op, you'll outgrow the mass produced Fujiwara so you should get something you won't want to toss in the trash after a few years. Like a Shigefusa made from old ship anchors and tamahagane. Make sure to get an older one made no later than 2003-2004, because that's when most of the production was taken over by his sons who are only in their 50s now and haven't really mastered the art quite yet.

>> No.4472776

>>4472768
Just been looking around on the interwebs and I found these: http://www.procook.co.uk/shop/knives-scissors/cooks-chefs-knives

Do they look any good or would they be a waste of money?

>> No.4472782

Personally, I'd just go for the Victorinox. They're cheap and work well. Sure the handles feel like weird plastic, but it's practical. Decent enough grip and you can toss it in the dishwasher. Those plus a sharpener will last you until you graduate from college, or until some retard breaks the knives.

However, 6-7" is kinda small. I'd go for the 8" at least

>> No.4472789

>>4472776

Never heard of them. At first glance I don't see anything wrong with them, but Victorinox is probably a safer choice because at least you know they won't be total garbage.

>> No.4472812

>>4472674

Get the Victorinox fibrox knives, you'll soon get used to the handles if you cook a lot of meals for yourself. You'll be happy that the handles are actually slip-resistant, very useful when handling meats.

I'd recommend buying the 8" Chef, 8" serrated bread knife and a regular paring knife. The serrated ones aren't really that useful for your day-to-day cooking.

Also, get yourself a good sharpening steel that's at least 10" (2" more than your chef's knife), then a sharpening stone when you find your steel isn't enough anymore.

Keep 'em sharp, clean and dry and they'll last probably a lifetime.

>> No.4472839
File: 168 KB, 500x375, 1286590553463.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4472782
>you can toss it in the dishwasher

>> No.4472843

>>4472782
i only read the tldr, but that + the picture leaves me agreeing with this post. except i still wash mine by hand.

but yeah, a victorinox chef's knif is my only knife (im just cooking for me, i dont need all the extra), and for $30+shipping it was the best investment i've made in my kitchen. handle is nice and big if you have big hands, blade is tall so your knuckles dont hit the counter. blade comes sharp enough to deal with.

also, agreed on the 8". it's what i have. though i dont really get why people say the bigger the better with knives. i've never been in a situation where i wished i'd gone even bigger.

>> No.4472844

>>4472839

I think what the other poster means by the dishwasher comment is that you don't have to be in raging aspie hyper vigilant mode to prevent your knife from self-destructing. If someone sticks the victorinox in the dishwasher when you're away in the library, the edge might suffer a little and you could get some light pitting maybe. Someone does that with a buffalo/magnolia handled yanagi, the result won't be pretty.

>> No.4473145

>>4472674
>>I decided I to get a serrated parer (3" or 4") and a Chef's knife (6" or 7")
I would get a straight edged parer, which is much more useful in my opinion. For the chef's knife, I would get AT LEAST 8", with 10" being my recommendation.

>>So my question is this, is it worth getting the two wooden handled Victorinox knives for £40, or are there better knives I could get for that money?
For that price range, you are unlikely to find anything better. I've used both Fibrox and Rosewood, and I like both. I personally find the Fibrox plenty comfortable. Victorinox made some of the most functional kitchen knives I have ever used:
-ergonomic handle
-rounded spine so you won't callous your index finger
-rounded heel so you won't clip yourself

>>will two knives be enough, baring in mind I won't be doing any gourmet cooking, just relatively basic student meals.
That should be enough for starters, maybe add utility knife or a bread knife later. Again, I would get a 8" chef's knife. Another detail that is almost equally important is getting a cutting board large enough for your knife, and making sure it is stable on the counter using shelf liner.

>> No.4473156

>>4473145
>I would get AT LEAST 8", with 10" being my recommendation
Depends on space and knife skills. Tiny kitchen with somebody who'll be intimidated by it (and if you're looking at a 6-7" chef to start you have no knife skills and will probably be intimidated) and that's not a good move. Most home cooks have issues with anything bigger than your standard 8"/21cm knives.

>> No.4473179

>>4473156
I realize 10" and 12" knives are intimidating, but a 6" chef's knife would be flat out uncomfortable for me to use. At that length you might as well get a nakiri or (dare I say it) santoku.

I guess 8" is a nice sweet spot for most people,

>> No.4473221

don't bother with the wood handles, they're dogshit. the fibrox handles are substantially cheaper, feel better, and are easier to keep clean, the only problem being pickiness about its appearance

>> No.4473243

>>4473179
Agreed a 6" would be stupid, but for somebody with no knife skills 10" is a good way to have him never cook again.

Also, he should just get the fibrox. They're cheap, they'll give him a few good years, and when he buys a better knife down the road he should look at a 10" at that point. But for now, a 3.5-4" paring knife (for the love of zenu not serrated), an 8" chef, and a 9" bread knife are a complete set.

>> No.4473264

cerbera make very cheap knives which seem to sharpen up well, you'll find them on amazon