[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 25 KB, 859x561, my typical plate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4443249 No.4443249 [Reply] [Original]

What formula do you follow when you eat? Do you use the USDA's My Plate? Do you rely on some other plan? This is how I eat, I usually do not eat food that has too many ingredients and I always cook from scratch so I can control what goes into my food.

A typical meal: Two Roasted Spicy Chicken Wings, Red Cabbage and Apples, Asparagus, a Small Sprouted Wheat Roll, Butter, a Bubbie's Pickle, a 4 oz Serving of Coconut Milk, and A 12 oz Glass of Water.

Sometimes I will exchange the milk for some sort of very small dessert (like a custard cup or small fruit tart) . I like having a formula to follow so I can plan the weekly menu.

I avoid soy and corn, and various incarnations thereof, since I have an allergy to both.

>> No.4443259

>>4443249
Are you autistic? Perhaps have some form of Asperger's?

>> No.4443266

I don't really follow any formula but I try to always include leafy green vegetables like baby spinach, lettuce, kale, broccoli, etc. on my plate. A typical meal would be chicken or beef with baby spinach, bacon, avocado and pine nut salad with French dressing (delicious) or some broccoli and cauliflower. Sometimes I also include a fried egg and some feta or cottage cheese.

>> No.4443269
File: 7 KB, 250x250, 250px-Autism_Speaks_Logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4443274

>>4443259
A lot of people menu plan, it doesn't make them autistic. I like to eat more vegetables than anything else so I adjust for it. What do you typically eat?

>> No.4443284

>>4443274
I try to eat some of every food group in every meal, and avoid sugars and fats.
Not having any allergies or food restrictions is pretty amazing.

>> No.4443298

>>4443284
Why do you avoid fat?

>> No.4443331

>>4443298
Because I'm gay.

>> No.4444122

>>4443284
but you are restricting yourself anyway by avoiding sugar and fat.

>> No.4444149

>>4443249

Yours is pretty close to my average plate OP. I usually eat a big bowl of salad that includes romaine, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, chick peas, avacado, and rarely some croutons. Some times I will add a precooked bit of tofu. Usually I eat this with a side of veggie burgers for protein. I use about 2 T of salad dressing, usually a mix of ranch and caesar. Where we differ is that I go without baked goods quite often. I only eat pasta if I have made it myself (nothing against store bought, this is just my way of limiting the ridiculous amount of carbs I will eat if left to my own devices) and most of my carbs come from rice or quinoa. Our other difference is that I don't do dairy at all anymore. It gives me sinus infections when I drink milk, and I try to eat less than 7g of saturated fat per day, which means cheese and milk and red meat have pretty much been eliminated from my diet. I have watched too many friends and family members die too early from heart disease to follow in their foot steps.

>> No.4444150

right now (and for the past few months honestly) my meal planning has been completely pathetic. i'll sometimes go 2 days living on dry cereal and then randomly make a meal to break up the monotony. of course, this has to do with a serious lack of planning. but for some reason whenever i try to make a plan, i can't seem to fill a week out effectively. gotta work on that.

>>4443266
>always include leafy green vegetables like baby spinach, lettuce, kale, broccoli, etc. on my plate

i like the way you think, especially this. leafy green vegetables are my favorite vegetables anyway, so it definitely doesn't hurt that they're so healthy.

>> No.4444184

>>4444149
The lipid hypothesis has been debunked if your family members are eating refined sugars and carbohydrates as well as hydrogenated fats it is possible that is contributing to their illness. Saturated fats, unless they are hydrogenated, are demonized now and really shouldn't be. Healthy fats can include animal fats and unrefined tropical fats. You could probably increase your saturated fat intake and be perfectly healthy.
We avoid fats like canola oil since they have to be deodorized and significantly altered to hide the fact that they are usually rancid.

Oxidized fats will contribute to heart disease.

>> No.4444219

>>4444150
Seriously, try giving it a go. Vegetables are so easy to prepare, I honestly don't know why I didn't do it before I got fat to avoid it in the first place. Baby spinach is amazing and can easily be added to any food. Put it in an omelette, add it to your sandwich, add it to your burger, drizzle with olive oil and heat on a fry pan for a few minutes then add some rock salt on top, add it to pasta sauces, lasagne, pizza, etc etc.

I'm a shit planner. I tend to just buy meats and staple vegetables then decide what I'm going to cook on the day.

>> No.4444235

>>4444219
it's not so much making the meals that's my problem (i can put together a healthy meal if i have the ingredients and the motivation), it's almost completely the planning.

i think it has to do with having to walk to the grocery store every time i need to go shopping. that shit gets old.

also, agreed on spinach. i'll cook up some of that shit and have it for a snack if i dont want to put together a salad.

>> No.4444253

>>4444184

No. All the worlds health organizations for every major country suggest limiting saturated fats of all types to less than 12g per day, and some have considered placing saturated fat in the same category as transfat because no safe upper limit has really been found.

Furthermore, palmitic acid (the type of saturated fat found in most animal sources like meat, eggs, cheese and milk) has been shown to act exactly as transfats act on the body, as well as causing cancer.

I will not be upping my intake of saturated fats because some anon said that "the lipid hypothesis has been debunked." I prefer to rely on the worlds health organizations for suggestions on diet (and I temper their recommendations with the knowledge that they have governments and big business like the meat packing industries to answer to)

I think if the meat industry and the world health organizations are in bed together and the world's health organizations still tell us to limit sat fat intake, there is probably something to it.

Even the beef industry is trying to make genetic cows with less saturated fat.

>> No.4444269

>>4444253

The world's health organizations are based on political systems, which move very very slowly. I wouldn't trust them at all since their information is likely to be a decade or more out of date, and is often times wrong.

Read research papers, not what the lobbyists/industry/government has to say.

>> No.4444277

>>4444184

From the World Health Organizations report on Diet, Nutrition, and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases found at:

http://www.freezepage.com/1348239076FHWAJDADVT

Page 92
Saturated fatty acids raise total and low-density lipoprotein (LDL)
cholesterol, but individual fatty acids within this group, have different
effects (3--5). Myristic and palmitic acids have the greatest effect and are
abundant in diets rich in dairy products and meat.

according to the table on page 98:
convincing evidence exists for a high risk link between cvd and the following:
Myristic and palmitic acids
Trans fatty acids
High sodium intake
Overweight
High alcohol intake (for stroke)

(note that they placed transfats and myristic and palmitic acid in the same evidence category - palmitic being found in meat and dairy products, myristic being found in palm kernel oil, coconut oil, and butter fat)

also page 98:
The evidence shows that intake of saturated fatty acids is directly related
to cardiovascular risk.
Within these limits,
intake of foods rich in myristic and palmitic acids should be replaced by
fats with a lower content of these particular fatty acids

page 157 has a chart that shows the strength of evidence against palmitic acid for CVD - again note that it is the same strength of evidence as transfats

saturated fats in general are also in that table but are found to have a lower quality of evidence.

>> No.4444280

>>4444269

List your studies that are more convincing then.

>Implying I would just take your word for it. Put up or shut up.

>> No.4444285

>>4444253
That is fine to do what you are comfortable with, I was pretty suspicious at first too. I have since been swayed otherwise through research on my own. I am pretty sure in a few years the health organizations will catch up to the present research.

>> No.4444289

>>4444285

Your own research? You didn't say you were personally running clinical trials with CVD patients!

Why didn't you say so earlier. I'll start eating more sat fat ASAP now that ANON recommended it! Especially since it's been shown to have soooo many positive health benefits... like CVD.

You must be fucking retarded.

>> No.4444382

>>4444289
Look maybe you should keep on doing what you are doing. I really don't care about what you think anymore if you are going to lash out like that.

You are responding to two different people. I have not attacked you in any way. I had a phone call I had to take so I didn't have time to dig up any of the links I wanted to right a way, but now you are being an asshole and I really don't want to argue with you about it.
In regards to anyone else interested into looking for more information:
My blood levels have improved since my diet changed, but I am only one person so I can't speak for everyone. I have found research from people like Dr. Mary Enig, Dr. Uffe Ravnskov, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, and Dr. Daniel Stienberg to be a good start. Articles like this one reference a study reported in the New England Journal of Medicine.http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/21/good-news-on-saturated-fat/ And it should be known that the initial study vilifying saturated fat for causing atherosclerosis was done on rabbits, not man.