[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 97 KB, 610x458, 060612-209524diyvsbuy-strawberryliqueur.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4387376 No.4387376 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here have experience with making their own liqueurs? I like liqueurs straight, and I'm thinking I'm gonna try and do a strawberry and vanilla liqueur, based on this recipe, minus the tarragon, and adding a few vanilla beans.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/06/homemade-strawberry-liqueur-recipe.html

Any thoughts, recommendations, or tales of experience?

I also saw this right here, and this looks interesting as well

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/creme-de-framboise

>> No.4387403

Yup.
Three liqueurs were commonly made in my upbringing: lemon, strawberry and pear-and-brown-sugar.
The method was basically the same for each: wash then cut up (in the case of pear, peel as well) fruit meant to be infused and toss with granulated sugar (in the case of pear, brown sugar) until coated and sticky.
Put into a tall jar and top with relatively neutral liquor, such as vodka, grappa/raki/etc and unflavoured rum.
Let it sit to infuse for days and days and days until its colour has changed to more closely match the colour of the fruit being used (in the case of pear, it will turn brown instead).
That's pretty much it.
Instead of liquor/liqueur, we'd occasionally use vermouth, which has far less alcohol (16% v 60%). That's the kid's version. Heh.

>> No.4387426
File: 195 KB, 650x1039, 20111221-eggnogvr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We had a couple good threads about this a month or two back. Basically, you can infuse anything into anything. Our consensus was that it is generally best to use a middle range vodka for most things (svedka, fris, etc). Of course you can use other liquor as well, someone in the thread said they made a great hickory fig bourbon.
It inspired me to do a few infusions of my own. I snagged a handle of svedka and infused, galangal, lemongrass, lychee, and ancho chile. The lychee probably came out best, but the ancho makes a damn good bloody mary.
This site was super helpful to me as a set of basic guidelines. For instance, for strawberry vanilla liqueur, I would recommend starting with the strawberries and then adding the vanilla after a few days.
Godspeed

>> No.4387430

>>4387426
sorry, this site http://cocktails.about.com/od/spirits/ht/infusions.htm

>> No.4387483

>>4387426
Interesting. Looking at some more links on the site I posted, I think I'm going to make the following:

A spiced rum infusion, in which I will be putting orange peel, bananas, cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg.

And a liqueur, in which I will be using brandy instead of vodka (mainly because in orange curacao, I like the ones with brandy/cognac in them better), and using strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and vanilla.

Sound good?

>> No.4388019

>>4387483
anon might I suggest only using the zest of the orange, avoid the pith, and do it first for a few days, then strain the orange out, then add the rest

you don't want it to get bitter.