[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 121 KB, 640x480, Kjammi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4380465 No.4380465[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

My Mom cooked a meal for us a grand total of five times, since we where teenagers.
all of those times it was left overs thrown into a pot heated up with some chopped up onions to make it exotic.

Mothers who cant cook should after birth be automatically throw under a speeding train.

>> No.4380470

I fucking agree. My mom is so fucking bad at cooking. She doesn't understand the importance of variety, or when she does, she doesn't know that chopping vegetables the right way is important for texture. She's made the same fucking dinner for our family since I was born; rotisserie chicken, dumplings and broccoli. In fact, it's probably because of her stupid unhealthy ass that I took up such an interest in healthy eating. Because she doesn't know fucking shit about diet or nutrition. So thanks mom, you fucking asshole.

>> No.4380469

>>4380465

you survived, which is her main job. everything else is optional.

>> No.4380471

Did you have a nigger mom or something? My mom would have never served our family that, I think she would have killed herself before it came to that.

>> No.4380473

>>4380470
and most of the time we NEVER eat as a family. We just make our own food.

>> No.4380488

My Mom knows well-enough how to make good foods.

It's just that 90% of the time she's experimenting with shit instead of making dishes she knows how to make (shrimp alfredo with red wine or teriyaki chicken with a touch of habanero oil etc.)
Last time she tried making deep fried chicken which sounds easy enough, but ended up burning the outside and keeping the inside raw.

>mfw she nuked it in the microwave for five minutes after and shredded it for chicken tacos after adding more seasonings.

It was still delicious.

>> No.4380494

Same with my boyfriend, now we live together and I cook for him everyday, made him gain a lot of weight since his body isnt used to it

>> No.4380495

I feel your pain. I was raised on cereal and mac 'n' cheese (since they were pretty much the only things I knew how to make myself).

I'm pretty sure it's the reason I developed Hashimoto's disease.

Besides Thanksgiving, I can remember one, maybe two times she cooked for us. I don't blame her too much though since she was a single parent raising me and my brother, but I really do wish she had taken a class on nutrition before she decided to have kids.

But I'm really just thankful she let me live in her house.

>> No.4380507

>visit home for a week once or twice a year
>mom struggling and desperate to fit ALL YOUR FAVORITE DISHES SON into the limited time available
>always leave bloated but happy

Seriously I gain like 2 kg in a single week whenever I go there.

>> No.4380527

>mfw my grandad is a retired chef
>mfw my nan never lets him cook
>mfw she's average tier at best
>mfw the few times he gets let near the kitchen it's a glorious masterpiece i would happily pay top dollar for.
>mfw its rare as shit.

fucking sake grandma

>> No.4380585

>>4380507
Ha, I know that feel. I go back home for a couple of months over summer and I gain over 5 kilos.

>> No.4380592

My mom always made us a variety of healthy foods.

Although she always used potatoes as sides, never rice or some tossed salad shit, always fucking potatoes.

I hate potatoes.

>> No.4380595

My mom is a terrible cook, and unless it was burgers or pancakes my dad never cooked. So basically between takeout and my mom's cooking 50% of my intake was ground beef.

It wasn't until after I moved out that I learned that vegetables weren't icky, but I only thought so because I only ate shit from a freezer bag or can.

>> No.4380610
File: 128 KB, 427x315, 1281468560278.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4380465

>goat head
>ice cream
>mashed potatos

Is it an art thing or does this actually exist

>> No.4380625

>Mom is a pastry chef
>Runs a small factory kitchen from home.
>Visiting is like going to willy wonka's without the molestation.

>> No.4380632

>>4380465

>mothers who can't cook should after birth be automatically thrown under a speeding train

Sounds like someone didn't get his ass beaten when he should've when he was a kid.

>> No.4380634

My mom never cooked shit and she had shitty Franzia wine for breakfast and dinner every day. My dad only knew how to grill, but at least he tried.

>when I was around 12 I got tired of eating shitty food so I taught myself how to cook

>> No.4380646

Sorry OP but I never had that problem. My mom has worked as a cook at multiple restaurants in her lifetime so she knew what she was doing. She made tons of different delicious dishes.
spaghetti and meatballs, chicken alfredo, home made mac and cheese, cheeseburgers, schnitzel, beef stroganoff, quiche, etc.
Not to mention all the baked goods like chocolate chip cookies and banana bread.

>> No.4380663

>>4380610
What you're referring to as ice cream is mashed potatoes. That other stuff on the left looks like some staple ethnic mush, like ground beans and dough or something.

>> No.4380666

>Grandma burns food for my mom and/or heats up tinned garbage in the 60s
>mom moves out and discovers cooking as a student. Enjoys trying new food and experimenting with recipes.
>Has children, cooks nice things for the family while I'm very young. I only have a few vague memories of this.
>string of family disasters and she ends up a widow, raising 3 kids and looking after both of my grandmothers
>stops making special efforts with food. For the vast majority of my life at home we ate storebought microwave stuff with overcooked potatoes and veg she'd boil
>She almost never lets me cook at home so when I move out I get to discover cooking like her
>tell her about my exploits in the kitchen
>over time she starts telling me about things shes been cooking
>over the past few months she's started inviting me over for meals. Brilliant roasts, casseroles, lasagne and soups so far. I pieced half of this story together from our conversation over last weekend's meal.

>> No.4380684

>>4380646
>worked in multiple restaurants
>tons of different delicious dishes
>spaghetti, aldredo, mac and cheese, cheese burgers
I can't actually tell if you're joking

>> No.4380701

>>4380684
Hey, I didn't say she was a 5 star chef. Those were the staple foods of my childhood.

>> No.4380756

>>4380465
My mother is also a terrible cook but she does it enough that I can survive. It's weird, my grandmother is the master cook in this family but she never taught any of her children how to cook.