[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 195 KB, 720x932, FRIDGE-INFOGRAPHIC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4348237 No.4348237 [Reply] [Original]

Info thread? Please?

Things just got much financially tighter here, and our food budget unfortunately must suffer. I appreciate all info posted (I love cooking!) but I'm mostly hoping for money saving info.

>> No.4348247

>always think of food in terms of leftover potential
>don't buy processed stuff, cook from scratch
>It's usually cheaper to break down meats yourself (i.e a whole chicken) instead of buying trimmed and de-boned breasts or whatever
>try to stock your pantry with canned goods and dry goods that can be used as ingredients. (i.e. beans, canned milk, canned tomatoes, rice, pasta, canned stock, other canned veggies, etc.)

>> No.4348250

Ground Meat: 1-2 days?

Everything else seems on par, but this is bullshit.

>> No.4348253

I could swear mayo could last a long ass time

>> No.4348260

>>4348250

Disagreed. If you're cooking from scratch and in control of temp, sanitation, etc, your proteins should be good (read: still edible) for 5-7 days. 3 is a ridiculous low-ball. Same with milk. Milk is good for longer than a week. Bacon is good for longer than a week. You could add 1-3 days onto most of those and never have any problems, assuming you don't just leave your shit out on the counter all day and night before putting it in the fridge.

>> No.4348262
File: 232 KB, 900x680, 1363671191111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Every single one of those is bullshit.

>> No.4348263

>>4348237
>tfw I've been eating rice and soysauce with leftover spices for half a week
>Not a lot of spices either.. chilli flakes, salt and pepper and.. italian herbs
>only reason I've been eating rice is because I ran out of ramen

Getting real fucking sick of ramen though, I gotta say.

>tfw you treat yourself and get a $5 sub or a hot-n-ready $5 pizza

>> No.4348266

>>4348260

Pardon me: cooked proteins. Raw you just have to keep an eye on it.

>> No.4348268

>>4348253
No, because of it's egg content. Most other condiments, yes.

>> No.4348273

http://brokeassgourmet.com/

>> No.4348282

>>4348268
If youre using real mayo, then sure, it will go bad. But storebought mayo lasts a very long time

>> No.4348289

>>4348268
commercial mayo lasts also a year without refrigeration. The mayo is pasteurized . Just use a clean spoon everytime or better yet get the squeeze bottle

>> No.4348304

Milk can definitely last more than 7 days.

>> No.4348390

Man, nice to know that practically everything I've been eating for the last twenty five years has been pretty much expired.

>> No.4348462
File: 77 KB, 249x465, sink clogs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not food related, but this is all I've got.

>> No.4348516
File: 915 KB, 1000x3400, 1360126613476.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ramen's cheap.

>> No.4348546

>>4348262
This.

>> No.4348585

>>4348237
That image is beyond retarded and you should feel bad for posting it.

>> No.4348596

How tight is tight? For college I ate off about 6$ per day, but still had a delicious diet.

Grains and legumes will be your friends; cheapest source of energy. Things like pasta with olive oil and spices will fill you up and be easy on the budget. Avoid meat, and the more expensive fruits and vegetables.

>> No.4348633

>>4348462
Protips:
>dont pour bacon grease down the drain
>dont put food scraps in the drain

>> No.4349291

Its all about where you shop:

Save-a-Lot / Aldis (in the US they are a thrift store) / or other grocery specializing in generics: Canned goods, pasta, sometimes meat but be careful, cleaning supplies

Indian, Mexican or Asian groceries: rice and more rice, veges if they have good deals

Secondhand stores (Salvation Army / Goodwill): clothes, pots, pans, plates, anything pretty much

Wal-Mart: if you're careful and have no other options its ok for dry goods

Things frugal people don't buy:

Bread, pizza, cookies, taco bell shit, pre-cooked "heat and eat" stuff from freezer sections: you can make every bit of that easily and it will taste better. Best of all when you see the jaw-dropping difference in price between retail and homemade pizza/bread/burritos you will whistle zippitydoodah out your arsehole. We're literally talking 10 cents on the dollar.

One other thing, if you must have something that is available on a dollar menu somewhere, go get it, eat it, and move on. Its not worth it to buy enough meat and toppings to fill 8 hamburger buns (and be stuck eating hamburgers for 3 days) if you could have cured the craving w/a couple double cheeseburgers. Same goes for any recipe that requires buying a bunch of oddball shit that will only be used in one recipe

>> No.4349349

You can save money for starters by throwing out that infographic.

I swear you could -at minimum- double every time listed there. I mean, come on, an unopened pack of hotdogs, two weeks? I call bullshit. I think the only accurate one was a month for hard cheese. It'll mold by then. But in turn, you can cut the mold off a block of cheese and eat it. So still.

>> No.4349363

Op, if you're so hard up that you're eating rice because you ran out of ramen, you're down to bare bones bro. Start by CLIPPING COUPONS and adding onions and carrots to your rice. Next work in dried beans to your diet. Buy cheap bacon on sale, cook it up as a breakfast "treat" and use the grease to make some dried speckled beans taste fucking magnificent. It takes some patience, but it's worth it. Look up a recipe online, personally I like traditional mexican style and work it into mexican food. Do NOT go for canned beans. Buy the dry fuckers, learn to use em. I also recommend working corn into your diet somewhere, probably as grits for breakfast. Cornbread or whatever is also fine.

>> No.4349421

>>4348585
>>4348237
i've eated brie that's over a week old
was as delicious and i didn't vomit