[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 43 KB, 600x438, margarine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4323116 No.4323116 [Reply] [Original]

'sup /ck/

I am considering baking a big batch of peanut butter oatmeal cookies. Said recipe will require half a cup of margarine or butter per batch.

What brands of margarine bake well? Or should I stick with butter for this? Thanks.

>> No.4323143

>>4323116
There is never a situation in which margarine is better than butter.
Ever.

>> No.4323149

>>4323143
this

>> No.4323153

>>4323143
This, throw away your margarine and never look back

>> No.4323172

Marge is basically butter 'product' with oil.
Its not evil
Its good for when something calls for oil or marge specifically. (Like for cutting up into flour for drop biscuits or something)
...but i'd go with pure butter if you can.

>> No.4323175

>>4323143
This, OP.

>> No.4323188

Thanks guys.

I looked online for peanut butter cookie recipes, and most of what I saw specified margarine, for some reason. If butter will be better, butter it shall be.

>> No.4323189

>>4323172
Also, to answer your question, generally the margerines with the lowest oil concentration work best.
Too much tends to make your cookies a bit too moist. Almost soggy.
Remember that marge is basically just.. solidified oil.

>> No.4323193

Margarine tastes worse and is very bad for your body, even in comparison to butter. There are many medical studies showing the increased heart diseas caused by the hydrogenated oil found in margarine. Do yourself a favor and avoid ANY food that has hydrogenated oils. Even small amounts have been shown to be very bad... like cigarettes bad, to your life expectancy.

Enjoy the wonderful goodness of butter. Try not to burn it.

>> No.4323196

>>4323172
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow colouring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavourings....

Margarine:
Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease ...

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT.

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

Open a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)
* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to grow.

Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

>> No.4323199

Cookies are mostly butter anyway. Just use butter.

>> No.4323207
File: 23 KB, 362x372, 1314124706256.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4323196
>mfw i've triggered 4chans anti-margirine propaganda machine

>> No.4323214

>>4323196
>Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys.

Odd. I'd read that margarine, and also mayonnaise, were invented during the Napoleonic Wars as inexpensive butter substitutes for French military field kitchens.

And yes, an old relative of mine, now deceased, used to tell me about the way margarine was sold in grocery stores before World War II. It was a white block of what looked like lard or Crisco wrapped in paper, and it came with a capsule of food coloring that the customer was supposed to knead into the margarine until everything was evenly colored. Supposedly some brands were colored dark orange to prevent unscrupulous merchants from selling them falsely as real butter.

it's odd. In the US, we constantly have the government telling us "cholesterol is bad, eggs are bad, butter will kill you, any dairy product other than skim milk is deadly," and on television we have every other commercial selling us on the high vitamin content of "natural Wisconsin cheese." It gets confusing.

>> No.4323232

>>4323196
>http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/b/butter-margarine.htm#.UUaK4xeG124

1. Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed The turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a Payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this Product to get their money back. It was a white substance with no food Appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in Place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever New flavorings-Fiction!
According to the National Association of Margarine Manufacturers, Margarine was the idea of a Frenchman named Hippolyte Mege-Mouriez in response to a request from Emperor Louis Napoleon for ideas for a substitute for butter. In 1869 he used margaric acid and the name of his formulation became known as Margarine. It became a hit in the United States in the late 1800's.

faggot

>> No.4323250

>>4323214
I take all that government and 'health group' research with a grain of salt.
The 'reasearch' and 'findings' ebb and flow depending on who's paying them the most at that particular moment.

My grandpa singlehandedly proved to me that the entire food pyramid is complete bullshit.

He lived till he was 97 years old, and ate nothing but whiskey and eggs for breakfast, literally every fucking day of his life.
That man never once went to a hospital, never got sick, and was healthy as a mule till he died peacefully in his sleep.

>> No.4323269

>>4323250
>died peacefully in his sleep.
not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car?

>> No.4323327

>>4323207

Don't you hate it when that happens?

>> No.4323338

>>4323250
>n=1
You should be a researcher.