[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 64 KB, 400x291, WRONG.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4305254 No.4305254 [Reply] [Original]

What are some food taboos you are aware of? Do you agree or disagree? Things like cheese and seafood, ketchup on steak, or even cultural practices like soaking sushi's rice in soy sauce.

>> No.4305261

>>4305254
Bacon sushi? Sounds good

>> No.4305321

>>4305261

Didn't say it didn't.

>> No.4305340

>>4305321
>title of OPs pic
>WRONG.jpg

you confuse even yourself

>> No.4305428

If you mix black pepper, fish sauce and white wine it smells just like shit

>> No.4305456
File: 106 KB, 1600x1200, foie gras double down.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4305340

It's possible to be wrong, but taste so right.

>> No.4305678

calling that abomination from Chicago "pizza" should be a taboo in the rest of the united states.

>> No.4305701

>>4305678
thats why they call it pie, foo

>> No.4305706

>cheese and seafood
Seafood enchiladas are fucking delicious!

>> No.4305707

I don't know if sushi should be relevant to this topic, OP. As far as sushi goes, everything non-traditional is taboo

but yes I think people who order well done steaks are ruining a perfectly good piece of meat

>> No.4306373

Familly food taboo: "raw" meat, i.e. steak tartare or any doneness under well done.
(obviously, doesn't apply to pork or chicken which should allways be well done)

Shure, it might have been unsafe 50 years ago in south mediterranean countries where they used to live. But today in western countries they are just missing something and making their children missing it too...

>> No.4306376

>>4305678
it's lasagna soup

>> No.4306425

>>4306373
Same pretty much goes for pork these days, considering all the antibiotics in pig feed.

>> No.4306454

>>4305428
The combination of pizza and OJ taste exactly like throw up

>> No.4306490

I think to each his own. Provided a person is open to trying anything I wouldn't look down on any choice they made including well done steak with ketchup on it. I think people who feel the need to impose their own preferences on people have a problem themselves. It is just an opinion, it cannot be wrong by definition.

People who WON'T try something or who are stuck in their ways or are picky are another matter. They're still entitled to live as they please but their opinions are ignorant and exclusive.

Food is meant to be shared, not to separate.

>> No.4306838
File: 2.32 MB, 348x323, 1358469174068.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4306490
>post of the year

>> No.4306847

>>4306490
>Food is meant to be shared, not to separate.
Love the sentiment, but dietary restrictions (often based on religion) are meant to do just that. Since these restrictions are very popular with many of the faithful in this world I'm afraid I must disagree with you, even though I would love to see a world where you were correct.

>> No.4306888

>>4306847
>I would love to see a world where you were correct.

If only we lived in that perfect world. That most wonderful land where everyone could eat anything they wanted! If only. Alas, we are subject to food restrictions, and thus, trapped in this prison we call reality.

>> No.4306892

>>4306490
git outta our seekay wit that queertalk boy

>> No.4306929

What counts as a taboo? Are we talking about eating certain animals (dogs, cats, horses), are we talking about eating certain parts of animals (sheep brain, beef tongue) or are we talking about certain combinations (like cheese on seafood, spaghetti sandwich, or trout-flavored ice cream)

>> No.4306978

>>4306425
undercooked pork tastes like ass though

>> No.4307597

>>4305456
>foie gras double down

Holy mother of fucking shit storm out of the ass of god. I've never done this on /ck/ (or really anywhere, as far as I can recall), but I am going to have to ask for a source for the inhuman decadence of what you have posted.

>Yeah, it kind of looks like a wast of foie gras and, in any case, complete over kill, but I believe that is your point, and if it was presented to me in any context I would probably be happy to die if I could simply take my time and stuff it down my throat...

>> No.4307617

>>4306490

So, before I finished reading your post, I was going to respond by saying that the only way anybody could possibly eat a well done steak is by completely smothering it in some kind of sauce (and while its probably one of the worst choices, ketchup still counts, I guess). Cooking a steak using dry heat will result in a chewy piece of cat shit not even a dog will eat. Anybody who makes well done steaks can only justify it TO THEMSELVES by adding back moisture (and foreign flavors) by adding a bunch of moisture in the form of some kind of sauce.

That is what I was going to say. However, you then went on to add:

>People who WON'T try something or who are stuck in their ways or are picky are another matter.

This, in my honest opinion (which I nonetheless feel completely justified in, if in no other case then at least in this one), fucking rustles me to hell, and should be reason enough for an immediate punch to the liver... But I digress.

People who are unwilling to try new things (or take a small bite, spit it out, and say, "okay, I've tried it and it made me feel like I was going to puke...", are complete babies who nonetheless dictate what the rest of us have to eat (without going out of our ways) by directing the economy by creating a demand for adult versions of elementary school food.

Give new things a chance. People always say things like, "I've tried this so I know all about it". But guess what, you need to go at something new with an open mind and an idea of what people actually like about it. (I've always thought that if something is popular, then the people who enjoy it must see something worthwhile in it. Before I discover what others enjoy in something "foreign", I will not make up my own mind about it). My policy has always been to seriously try something (actually give it a chance, rather than spit out a bite and say its disgusting), at least twice, before I'm willing to make any kind of judgment about it.

tl;dr - picky eaters

>> No.4309566
File: 20 KB, 559x431, 1357984298915.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4306490
This one...you gonna go far...

>> No.4309627

I dunno, I always wanted to eat another human. I figure so long as they were relatively clean and properly cooked, you shouldn't have a problem, so long as you ate an otherwise balanced diet.

That being said, french fries with mayo is delicious. I never went back to ketchup.

>> No.4309638

>>4306490
ur a dick. 's my opinion, it can't be wrong, so I'm right.