[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.36 MB, 249x149, 1353436037835.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4283654 No.4283654 [Reply] [Original]

>Olive Oil
>Garlic
>Onions
>Mushrooms
>Tomatoes
>Bread
= Soup?

Any advice?

>> No.4283703
File: 93 KB, 600x618, Vl5shTV.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

they turn out too bland, and the texture is never perfect

bump for help

>> No.4283726 [DELETED] 

wat? can you form words to a question?

>> No.4283750

hahah sorry I am super tired...

Short of writing out the process... adding the ingredients into the same pot should make a soup with nice flavor, correct?

Or should I keep it simple and just make, for instance- one onion soup, one tomato, etc...

Also- tips on making a nice rich consistency and keeping the veggies flavor? I've read bread crumbs...

>> No.4283769

>>4283750
>adding the ingredients into the same pot should make a soup with nice flavor
that really depends on how you cook the ingredients. bread or any kind of binder (flower, (sauce thickener? in a soup?), eggs, potatoes) any kind of starch basically will take away some of the flavour and saltiness. i would slowly roast the ingredients, add salt and a some stock.

>> No.4283778

>>4283769
This. You need stock. Try going the beef stock route since you're using tomatoes.

>> No.4283788

>>4283769
thanks for the help- mind telling me what's bad in this plan?

Heat olive oil with chopped garlic
Add chopped onions and wait
Add chopped mushrooms and wait
Add whole tomatoes and mash them
Add breadcrumbs and salt
turn off burner and stir
possibly add small pasta or lentils

>> No.4283791 [DELETED] 

Doing a good vegetable stock from scratch is work... you need to roast the onions etc.
Use instant stock for quick results.

>> No.4283800

>>4283788
>Heat olive oil with chopped garlic
>Add chopped onions and wait
wrong way around. The onions go in first.
if you are looking for a deeper flavour try really roasting the onions untill they are light brown. add the garlic when the onions turn from translucent to a yellowish colour.
add the tomatoes and the mushrooms at the same time with a decent ammount of salt. dont add whole tomatos. take the time to atleast take the skin off, maybe even remove the innner part.
no real need for the bread crumbs.
stock would come in handy.

>> No.4283813

>>4283800
Thanks again for the helpful advice.

I know that the best soups are made the slowest, but I imagine in a pinch I could do this in around an hour. Thoughts?

>> No.4283854

>>4283813
it can be made in less than in hour but this 'recipe' will most likely never yield a 100% satisfactory result. anyway here are some more helpful tips:
1.learn how to make a good stock. that is how you start any good soup / sauce etc...
2.if you want an ingredient to give its flavour to the liquid you cook it in start out cold then slowly warm up. if you want the ingredient to keep most of its flavour, cook it in hot liquid.
3. root vegetables give their flavour to the liquid they are boiled in very easily. this is true for almost anything that grows beneath the ground.
4. Deep, rich flavours come from a good roast.
4.1. A good veg. stock always starts with root vegetables with their skin on them and with a half onions that is burnt and has the peels on it.

>> No.4283884

>>4283854
Could you point me in the direction of a better dish with these limited ingredients?

>> No.4284041

>>4283884
you have bread. why not make a nice bruschetta?
roast the bread with a little olive oil in the pan. take a garlic clove, cut it in half and rub it over the bread slice. put some salt on the bread. dice onions finely. take the skin of the tomatos and remove the insides and then dice the flesh the same size as the onions. season that. roast the mushrooms nicely if you absolutely need to include them. put all of that on the bread with some olive oil. bruschetta.

>> No.4284063

Man, soup? Not me.

Garlic & oil on browning bread.

Onions, mushrooms, tomatoes sauteed 'til they just get bleeding.

Cover bread. Browning cheese. Knife & fork & such.