[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 134 KB, 1348x899, ParmigianoReggianoLandscape-Lres[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4278115 No.4278115 [Reply] [Original]

My uncle just got back from a trip to Italy and he smuggled some parmigiano reggiano back for me. The good stuff. The real stuff.

What's the best way to store it to keep its quality as long as possible? My mother suggested grating the whole thing (.724kg) and then storing it in the freezer, but that sounds a bit odd to me, so I thought I'd ask you guys for a second opinion.

>> No.4278123

>smuggled

Just use it. Start making dishes.

>> No.4278138

>>4278115
>My mother suggested grating the whole thing

OH god the horror...

YOU tell that old hag, there is this thing called oxidation which increases exponentially with the amount of surface area exposed. I'm srs OP if you grate on grain of that shit before your going to use I'll come over there BTK the both of you.

also, dip the portion you don't want to use in a food grade wax for room temp. storage.

>> No.4278150

My parents brought back some from Nice in France. It was double wrapped and it seriously lasted for months in the fridge. I was careful only to touch it with clean hands though. The normal stuff you buy in the stores lasts for what - a couple of weeks max?

750g is a lot though. I think mine was closer to 400g. Because of the high fat content it freezes relatively well compared to other cheeses (it's still not the same as fresh but as topping on pizza or pasta? hell yeah). I think I'd wrap it tightly and freeze it without shredding. Oh, and I'd only freeze about 1/3.

>> No.4280778

We have real parmigiano reggiano in the US too.

>> No.4280806

You can always just drive up to Wisconsin and get better cheese without the ridiculous travel costs

>> No.4280838

They sell parmigiano reggiano in every grocery store I've been to. It gets shipped over here.

>> No.4280860

>>4280778
I've been to Italy and ours is NOT the same, and not as good. It actually pisses me off.

>> No.4280876

does $17 for 1lb of p. reggiano cheese sound about right?
thinking about ordering from an importing site

>> No.4280905

>>4280860
how is it not the same? I worked at a fine dining Italian restaurant that imported whole wheels. You sure you're buying reggiano? There can also be differences in aging and production methods depending on particular producers, even in Italy. I live in a state that I know is fine with raw milk products, but I think there are some states that it's still illegal in.