[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 31 KB, 448x600, Vegetable.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4264807 No.4264807 [Reply] [Original]

I'm thinking of going veggie. I'm a student a I'm a little low on cash in general, any tips for meals and recipes and such?

>> No.4264836

start by eliminating meat from your diet. it's even better to eliminate dairy and eggs as well.

then focus on sustainable veggies that you can grow in your yard or inside your home.

anything else is heartless exploitation of the planet.

>> No.4264846

Have fun with the vegemite mate.

>Vegetarianism and Veganism are repulsive.

>> No.4264849

>>4264836
Sounds like hell.

>> No.4264933

replace meat with veggies and tofu. don't buy that fake meat shit. eat a lot of beans

>> No.4264972

>>4264933
dude, seitan is awesome

>> No.4264982

>>4264972
HAIL SEITAN!

>> No.4264990

Just keep in mind if you ever decide to eat meat again your body will not take it well.

>> No.4265141

Seitan is great and its pretty easy to do at home.

>> No.4265264

>>4264972
it costs a lot though (compared to beans and tofu) but it is delicious

>> No.4265266

Chick peas: Hummus, in a salad raw, curry, "tuna" salad
Black beans: Bean burger, black bean soup, good ol'; hispanic rice and beans

Tofu: [Though I'm not too fond of it] For Firm or Extra Firm, battered and fried in a sauce usually does the trick for me. Use soft or silken mostly for desserts. Sounds strange, but "cheescakes" and puddings. I cannot guarantee you'll like tofu anything.

Kale chips are a healthy and tasty alternative. Rub with oil, salt and bake for 15(?) minutes.

Sounds strange, but avacado chocolate pudding. If you do it right, there isn't any avacado flavor and it's very smooth.

Anyway, hope this helped a bit. Not Veggie nor Vegan, gf is, but I've remembered a few things.
Sorry for cruddy formatting and lack of actual recipes. Just wanted to give you a few quick ideas. LunchBoxBunch is a great blog for recipes.

>> No.4265282

http://www.findingvegan.com/ is great for ideas.

>> No.4265407

>>4264807
Cook ethnic.

Indian, east Asian and Italian cuisine are all full of delightful vegetarian dishes. American is not.

>> No.4265418

>>4264807
look into middle eastern, east asian and indian cuisine.

all pulses are your friends.

beans and rice or chili sin carne with tortilla or arabian bread.

and my favourite dish: Szechuan/Mapo tofu. Ge some tofu, marinade it for a hour or so, cover in flour, fry it in oil with szechuan pepper, add some hoisin sauce and black bean paste if you like.

Also nice: vegetarian ground
Get some veggie burgers, cut them into pieces and smash them with a fork until they resemble ground meat. Fry with pepper, thyme, rosemary, basil, onions and garlic.
Serve with whole grain pasta or roll into russian pancakes (blini). Can also be used in chilis etc. (wherever you would use ground meat).

>> No.4265420

>>4265418
and and like >>4265266 said, make sure the tofu is really firm. One time got a brand I didn't knew and even though it said firm my dish turned into something resembling scrambled eggs.

The most important thing for tofu to be nice is marinating. Marinate in chicken spices for nuggets, marinate in soy sauce, rice wine and hosin sauce for szechuan tofu etc.

>> No.4265426

>>4264982
Vegan
Black
Metal
Chef

>> No.4265434

By "going veggie" do you mean going vegetarian, going vegan, or only eating vegetables? Don't under-eat. You can eat 10 plates of vegetables a day and not get the calories you need. Throw some fruits like bananas in with that shit and some nuts and rice and pasta

>> No.4265437

http://www.4shared.com/office/T-dXFfyp/PETAs_Vegan_College_Cookbook.html

good luck dude! you're taking your first step into a larger, better world!

>> No.4265439

vegweb.com has a lot of recipes and The Vegan Stoner has vegan but easy and cheap recipes. Try indian, middle eastern, asian cuisines too !

Welcome to a world of delicious, meatless cuisine !