[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 27 KB, 300x228, homer-cereal-epic-fail_3125.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4250946 No.4250946 [Reply] [Original]

>buy split peas, because broke and hungry
>follow manufacturer's instructions to the letter
>dry, slightly crunchy split peas

Are they supposed to be like this? Did I do something wrong? I was expecting something...less al dente.

What say you, /ck/?

>> No.4250951

if you bought dried peas, you should add some water unless you are roasting them.

>> No.4250966

Add more water or stock and keep cooking them. The manufacturer probably neglected to mention doing a soak for several hours, which would've given you a softer pea. This is how you do any kind of beans or peas, usually:
Go through legumes to make sure there aren't pebbles in them
Rinse
Soak for eight or more hours in fridge
Drain
Add fresh water or stock, and all your spices and crap, and simmer on low for a few hours

It's pretty much foolproof, though. If they're not soft enough, just add more water and keep cooking.

>> No.4251035

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lentil_soup

>> No.4251043

>>4250966
you don't soak lentils or split peas. Cook them longer OP, make sure you start with a hard boil for about 15 minutes then move to a low simmer for about an hour or two. for some reason packets of dry peas and lentils say they'll be ready in 30 minutes but that's just a lie.

>> No.4251048

>>4251043
OP here.
That's what I figured. I'll do that on the next batch. Muchas Garcias.

>> No.4251065

>>4250946
Split Peas need several hours of soaking and more for the much more cheaper brands. Cooking time can last for several hours on low heat. Yes it does take that long to cook them but what can you do?