[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 692 KB, 2400x1800, New-York-City.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4234553 No.4234553 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /ck/,

In May i'll be in NYC for two weeks on vacation.
Since I never been to the states and always hear about the good restaurants etc. I made a small list on where my girlfriend and I should definetely eat something.
Heres my list, suggestions are highly appreciated!
Would be nice if you could include the location.

>Shake Shack (Madison Square Park)
>Criff Dogs (East Village)
>Gray's Papaya (Broadway)

Those are on my list so far.
I bet you know much more great places to eat.

>> No.4234565

I have never been there, but have you tried watching Food Network to see the chefs on there who compete and what not? Most of them have restaurants and they always say what they are (you can look up where online). I would be crushed though if I didn't get to go to Olives. The executive chef there is amazing and he is the winner of a James Beard Award (the cooking version of an Oscar).

Have you tried /trv? I know that they move slow, but they will know better than at least I will.

>> No.4234571

go to mcdonalds and get yourself some freedom fries

>> No.4234606

>>4234553

lombardis pizzeria in soho OP
best pizza you can get in new york

>> No.4234618

I'm going there myself in Easter, for the first time.

There's a supposedly great soul food place called Syliva's, they have some restaurants scattered in the city. Heard of it through a Danish program called AnneMad where the chef goes around trying out food in the big apple.

Just search for "AnneMad i New York".

And apparently I'm spam.

>> No.4234624

>>4234553
>NYC
>Good food

Nolol NY has a failing restaurant industry when new places popping out in the same location. I remember this renting space went from.

>burger joint
>seafood
>pub
>italian
>indian

Now Ice cream also the owners are really pushy for tips. I was told to go back and pay more than 5$ in tips when my plate was only 15$. What I shithole of city with everything being too expensive and dirty so I moved. Most of them people who live in NY came from small towns all across u.s

>> No.4234632

Picnic Garden in Flushing.

All you can eat buffet style Korean BBQ for about $25. It's a little out of the way, but it's delicious and good value.

>> No.4234640

>>4234632
>Korean BBQ
nope

>> No.4234643

>>4234632
>Korean BBQ
>NYC

No way no how filled with real aspies

>> No.4234648

Maybe you shouldn't act like such a fucking tourist.

>> No.4234677
File: 51 KB, 321x320, 5434-get-out.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4234606

>Lombardis
>Best pizza in New York
>mfw

This place is overhyped and overprized as shit.
Di Fara in Brooklyn is by far the best in NYC

>> No.4234688
File: 27 KB, 264x352, 0610gtchangporkbuns_264.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4234553

If you want to go to Criff Dogs, I suggest trying to get into P.D.T., which is the "speakeasy" connected to it. You actually go through a phone booth inside Criff''s, and can order food from there as well.

Based on your list so far, I'm guessing you don't have unlimited amounts of money to spend. I would highly (highly) suggest going to one of David Chang's places, and in particular would say Momofuku. They don't take reservations, and there usually isn't too long of a wait (as the service is really streamlined), making it a good idea if you aren't on an exact schedule (as you can just show up). Oh yeah, regardless of what else you choose at Momofuku, order the pork (belly) buns.

>> No.4234699

>>4234565

Guy's resturaunt down there really is pretty lack luster.

I had the rib and the calamari and it was pretty disappointing.

>> No.4234718

>>4234553
Those aren't really restaurants you'd like to take your girlfriend. Shake Shack and Gray's Papaya are both kind of stand outside eating places. Crif Dogs is indoor, but the seating is very little. The only cool thing about Crif Dogs is that there is a speakeasy next door. You have to use the phone booth to get in though. Still, the drinks there are ridiculously expensive.

Lombardi's in SoHo, or Grimaldi's in Brooklyn are good places for pizza. I prefer John's Pizzeria on Bleecker though.

What kind of budget are you on? There are some higher end restaurants that aren't really good values but have good food none the less. If you're going with your girlfriend, I would recommend Le Bernardin for seafood and Eleven Madison Park.

>> No.4234735

Monk's cafe
Katz deli

>> No.4234739

2 weeks is way too long for NYC. It's a shithole.

>> No.4234740

>>4234699
Oy I was not talking about his place... What I meant was to watch shows like Chopped, Iron Chef America, or even Food Network Star or what not to see the chefs cook. Most of them are from New York, and most of them have a restaurant, and you have to at least not suck to be on there.

>> No.4234755

>>4234677
This nigga
I've been to all the "top" pizza places in new york because i fucking live here
di fara is a head above the rest

>> No.4234768

>>4234739
This. I wouldn't spend two weeks there for all the beer in Milwaukee.

>> No.4234786
File: 34 KB, 400x267, 0711_west_main.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4234640
>>4234643

How about Japanese BBQ?

Motherfucking Yakiniku West.

>> No.4234792

>>4234786
Oh yeah. Make a reservation for a Monday, when they have half price specials.

>> No.4234794

There are 1000s of restaurants in NYC. Request is too open-ended.
Where are you coming from?
Where are you staying?
Budget?
Food likes/dislikes?
>>4234677
DiFara's is good, but rarely worth the hassle. The secret is to walk in and skip the line, immediately chat up Dom like you own the place, and he'll take your order. Might want to get it to go though, as the folks in line get pissed. Or bring a bottle of wine and wait the line out.
Totonnos is the best pie in NYC, but they haven't reopened after Sandy.
>>4234688
Uhh, all of Chang's places are called Momofuku.

>> No.4234802

>>4234553
Honestly, you can get pretty awesome food by just walking into any random restaurant on the street during the lunch hour. I do this every time I go to NYC and the only time I was disappointed was when it turned out to be a Sbarro.

>> No.4234805

>>4234794
>Uhh, all of Chang's places are called Momofuku.

Yeah, I meant the original "noodle bar" (where the sign out front just says "momofuku".

>> No.4234865

>>4234677
>>4234755
>>4234794

Di Fara noted!
We have enough time to wait in line.

>>4234688

We will try to get into the connected bar.
Our budget is limited to 40-50$ a day/person.
I noted Momofuku.

>>4234718

I know that those aren't really restaurants.
We are looking for the popular places.
I wrote down your suggestions, if they aren't too pricey we would check it out.
Especially Le Bernardin sounds great, we love seafood!

>>4234739
We will be in Philadelphia for a few days.

>>4234786
Same as above, it isn't too pricey we will check it out.

>> No.4234879

>>4234794
Forgot to answers these questions.

>Where are you coming from?
Germany.

>Where are you staying?
Times Square - DoubleTree.

>Budget?
As already mentioned 40-50$ a day for food and other smaller stuff.

>Food likes/dislikes?
We basically eat everything. And we are open for new stuff.

>> No.4234925

>>4234794
So what you're saying is Chang is one cooking momofuku?

>> No.4234956

>>4234879
$50/day isn't going to get you very far, at least at restaurants like Le Bernadin! Hell, my bar tabs most nights are more than that. Welcome to NYC.

First order of business - get the hell out of Times Square for food. Walk West to 9th and 10th Aves for less touristy restaurants in Hell's Kitchen.

What's unique to NYC, and the States?
You have your hamburger, pizza, and hot dog experiences lined up. There's finally good BBQ up here. I'd spend a day in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and plan or dinner at Fette Sau.
I'd spend a day in Chinatown and have a meal at Great NY Noodletown and/or an early lunch of dim sum at Golden Unicorn.
I'd go to a Mets game in Queens and have dinner after in a great Korean restaurant in Flushing.
Pork Buns at Momo Noodle Bar is fun.
Check out MidtownLunch.com and find out what carts and food trucks will be in Times Sq that day. Over on 6th Ave and 46th is the Biryani Cart w/ amazing kati rolls. 2 days a week the Treats Truck parks on 45th St and they've got amazing cookies. Jamaican Dutchy Truck also is there most days with fantastic Jerk Chicken.
Lunch at the Grand Central Oyster Bar. Sit at the counters for the affordable lunch menu and enjoy fresh seafood with a gorgeous room.
Spend an afternoon walking around Union Sq Market. You can easily make a lunch out of the seasonal fruits, veg and baked goods.
Take the ferry to Staten Island - it's free, they have cheap beer onboard, you ride alongside the Statue of Liberty, and there's amazing Sri Lankan food when you get off the ferry.
Find tickets to a Nets game and explore Park Slope, Brooklyn before. Tons of fun places to eat on 5th Ave.
Friday Nights at the Brooklyn Brewery they open up for visitors w/ cheap beer, live music, and the ability to bring your own food. Take a pizza.
Too many options, and I'm running out of inspiration. Let me know if I can help with anything specific. You can return the favor by bringing me great bottles from the Mosel

>> No.4234960

>>4234925
Yep, he's the man behind the Momo empire

>> No.4234962
File: 50 KB, 500x375, katzs-deli-pic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

KATZ DELI

HOLY SHIT SO DELICIOUS
and so expensive/crowded

>> No.4234984

momofuku as previously stated, but their milkbar for some crack pie and cereal milk
from rice to riches. HNGGG i have to get it shipped out to me every now and then because i crave it so bad sometimes.
and mamoon's falafel, or however it's spelled. i'm not a local.
also, greasetrucks if you have the time to make it to rutger's in jersey.

>> No.4234998

>>4234962

Katz Deli noted.
That looks delicious!

>> No.4235000

I don't give a fuck if it's rat/cat/dog meat but the Halal carts scattered around Manhattan are fucking good.

It doesn't have to be 53rd and 6th. Just get to one an experience 6 dollars of good street food.

>> No.4235033
File: 83 KB, 319x239, carnegies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4234984
>momofuku as previously stated, but their milkbar for some crack pie and cereal milk
>from rice to riches. HNGGG i have to get it shipped out to me every now and then because i crave it so bad sometimes.

Have you tried making anything from the milkbar cookbook?

I personally haven't (just not really a dessert person - though I'm always up for milkbar when in NYC), but I have a couple of friends who have been working their way through it.

You can order all the obscure ingredients and shit online, and most of it really isn't that difficult (assuming you know basic cooking/baking shit).

>>4234962
Yeah, I'd say Katz's is worth trying once... but it really is hard to justify the prices.

If you really want to get some bang for your buck try Carnegie's deli; pic related.

>> No.4235034

>>4234865
Le Bernardin is pretty pricy. Don't check it out. I would say that with a 40 - 50 dollar a day budget for food. You're probably well within the normal, every day sort of restaurants in Manhattan. You can easily spend that much just for a decent dinner. Just be prepared to have a really simple breakfast. Make your own eggs/toast/bacon/sausage or eat cereal if you can.

I would suggest going to Joe's Shanghai (either Manhattan or Queens location whichever is more convenient). Get their soup dumplings at the very least. You will be asked how many when you are first seated. Get the pork ones and at least 2 servings (8 per order). Mamoun's Falafel (West or East Village) is cheap and filling, 2.50 for a falafel. Ippudo is also a great ramen restaurant. Be in for a wait, but you can order some food and drinks at the bar too. Pomme Frites is also good. They only have Belgian styled fries and poutine, but with a long list of sauces. It's worth a stop if you're looking for a snack.

>> No.4235055

>>4235034
>Pomme Frites

Pomme Frites is awesome if you're not from Europe. In any case, there is also an awesome bar (nice atmosphere, quite, good prices) just around the corner from Pomme Frites (can't remember the name... maybe the Library?) if you're looking for a nice spot to grab a beer (mostly Belgian - and they also bring in complimentary pomme frites sometimes as well).

>> No.4235059

>>4235055
>quite

quiet

>> No.4235110

>>4234998
>>4234962
Can someone elaborate on the prices involved here? I saw a programme where they get some massive pastrami sandwich made- think it's a famous American sandwich?

>> No.4235136

My family likes going to the Carnegie Deli.
There's usually a huge wait to get in though, so if you see a lot of people hanging around outside expect to be standing around for 45-60 minutes.

Also I think their pickles taste kind of funky.

>> No.4235146

I'd try to find a Bare Burger, the one I went to is in queens but it's fucking delicious. They have elk, boar, and ostrich meat. A little hipster but hey, its NYC

also make good friends with yelp, ny has one of the most active yelp communities

I'm a big fan of the halal carts chicken over rice... it's way better than it should be for fast cheap street food

>> No.4235192

>>4234624

this is true, if you are from the west coast you will agree that almost every restaurant in nyc is the pitts.

>> No.4235196

>>4234802

as if sbarro is not completely representative of NYC cuisine, in fact, a head above most corner delis.

>> No.4235201

>>4235110

It's been a few years since I lived/went to school in NYC, but from what I can remember a basic one meat sandwich (corned beef, pastrami, tongue, etc., like in this picture: >>4234962) was about $13-14. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I remember.

Basically you are getting what you see: hand sliced meat between two pieces of beefsteak rye bread, which you then put deli mustard on (and you also get complementary pickles).

Don't get me wrong, the meat at Katz's is probably as good as you can get in a NYC deli (Carnegie is more touristy - not that Katz's isn't - and while their portions are much bigger, their actual quality, while definitely good, is not on par with Katz's).

Also, Katz's does have waiter service, you just need to sit at one of the tables along the wall (which you might have to share if there are only two of you).

>> No.4235205
File: 35 KB, 300x225, punnjabi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4235110

it is literally 30$ for a sandwich.

across the street is this little gem, possibly the best Indian restaurant in Manhattan.

>> No.4235206

>>4234739
>>4234768
just jelly of best city in world, even the rest of the world recognizes it which is why they put the UN building there

>> No.4235217

so many tourist trap recommendations it hurts
>shake shack
>anything with papaya in the name
>lombardis
>momofuku
>carnegie deli

basically anything int his thread being suggested, if you go there 80% of the people in there at least will not be from the city

and people who say NY is shitty are just exposing their economic status, it is a city to be enjoyed by rich people, everything good is out of your price range I'm sure

>> No.4235221

http://www.maxbrenner.com/
this, i've never actually had it but all my friends hype about "OMGGGG Chocolate suryingezzz!!!11!!!"

>> No.4235223
File: 32 KB, 333x333, 1358095251808.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4235217
>it is a city to be enjoyed by rich people, everything good is out of your price range I'm sure

OP said they have ~$50 per person per day. What the fuck do you recommend?

>Calling momofuku a tourist trap
>mfw

>> No.4235225

>>4235033
i have the cookbook, but i've yet to make anything. no time to do so considering most of their recipes are like 5 in one. but i would love to get the rice to riches recipes.

>> No.4235227

>>4235055
oh fuck yes, pomme frites is awesome. 'dem sauces.

>> No.4235230

>>4235217

So how many times per week do you dine at Le Bernadine or Daniel?

>> No.4235232

>>4235223
that is enough for an entree and a glass of wine at any good restaurant.

since must go to places are too expensive I say wander around and go into places that look nice to you

>> No.4235240

>>4235230
I mostly stick to take out, street vendors, or cooking myself most of the time, I make a trip to a high end place once a month as a treat.
I am going to babbo this next time around

>> No.4235252

>>4235232
>that is enough for an entree and a glass of wine at any good restaurant.

Um, yeah, Le Bernadine was suggested above, and dinner there starts at $125, not including drinks.

> I say wander around and go into places that look nice to you

This is horrible advice that should be ignored. Restaurants in NYC pop up and disappear overnight. Yelp is your friend, as is Zagat. Just because a restaurant has survived and become established in NYC does not (necessarily) make it a tourist trap (granted, NYC could be called a tourist trap - Manhattan anyways - but if you're visiting for the first time, try the standards.

Also, don't spend any time or money on anything withing a few blocks of Times Square.

If you don't have too much money. take the Staten Island Ferry for views of the Statue of Liberty instead of the tour (yeah, not food related, but NYC on a budget 101 advice anyways.)

>> No.4235262

>>4235240
>I mostly stick to take out, street vendors, or cooking myself most of the time

That was exactly my situation when I lived in NYC. Basically sticking to the shit that still allows you to pay rent, but taking advantage of a good restaurant once a month or so.

Nonetheless, OP is visiting for the first time from out of country, so at the very least inexpensive places that are good could still be recommended.

>I am going to babbo this next time around

I envy you.

>> No.4235267

>>4235252
>Yelp is your friend
nothing quite like judging a restaurant based on reviews like

"I will NEVER go back to this place, I made a reservation for 7:00 this past saturday and when I arrived I find out that they had given my table away, I was only 15 minutes late but the manager said there was nothing she could do but if I wanted to I could wait to see if another one opens. I thought that was extremely rude, I am telling all my friends to stay away and you should too"

1 star

>> No.4235273

>>4235267

Welcome to the internet. Anybody who has ever dealt with any sort of review site must have at least learned to somewhat wade through the bullshit...

>still not suggesting anything yourself

>> No.4235281

>>4235252
Virgil's BBQ is of pretty good quality if you're willing to pay $30+ for your meal... huge portions so its not a rip off.

of course i'm from the NW so my bbq standards are non-existant, I'm 100% sure there are better cheaper places in the city

everything else around times square is ass though.

>> No.4235283

>>4235267
>can browse 4chan
>can't recognize obviously shitty reviews on a review site

what is wrong with you? if you can handle this website you can handle figuring out which yelp reviews are worth shit

>> No.4235300

>>4235267
If you can't navigate a decent review site, then just stick to Zagat's; they wade through the bullshit for you...

>> No.4235359

>>4235217

OP isn't looking for the top of the notch star restaurants.
Those places aren't filled with tourists for no reason, think about it and chill the fuck down.

>> No.4235368

>>4234553

A couple of places I found to be good and inexpensive in NYC were Bereket (a Turkish kebab place) and Veselka's (a Polish restaurant).

...Yeah, you said you were coming from Germany, right?

I guess those probably wont be on the top of your list then...

>> No.4237028

>>4234956

We won't eat at Times Square, that's for sure.
We just chosed this hotel because of the central location. Thank you for the detailed suggestions, those all sounds very good.
I bet you'd make a good tourguide!

>>4235368

Yeah thats rather low on our list, since we get good kebabs on every corner here.
We are looking for food you usually don't get here in Germany or not in the same quality like the original more authentic over there.

Keep the suggestions coming, i'll keep monitoring the thread and save it before it goes 404! Thanks!

>> No.4237059

go to Sea in williamsburg brooklyn, it's pretty good thai food...just don't go on a weekend at night cuz then it's packed and the line is around the corner.

>> No.4237088
File: 1.58 MB, 3264x2448, ven000m_2013-01-04_Philly_Sandwich[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was in New York 2 months ago.
Some things i ate:

>> No.4237090
File: 1.84 MB, 3264x2448, ven000m_2013-01-01_Seafood[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4237093
File: 1.64 MB, 3264x2448, ven000m_2012-12-30_Cheese_Fries[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4237094
File: 2.22 MB, 3264x2448, ven000m_2012-12-30_Hooters_Manhattan[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4237096
File: 671 KB, 2448x3264, ven000m_2013-01-04_Hotdog[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4237104

>>4234677
>>4234755
>>4234794
My niggers. Di Fara's is GOAT as far as pizza is concerned.

Also, OP, you should try the New Bo-Ky in chinatown. It's ridiculously cheap; you can get about a quart of god-tier Wonton soup for $3.50.

>> No.4237255 [DELETED] 

>>4235205

ha ha, I've been there and it's tasty cheap food, but you obviously haven't been to many Indian restaurants in the city. tamarind in flatiron, tamarind tribeca, saravanaa's in curry hill, or tangra in queens if you want something a little different. junoon got a michelin star if you're a star collector, but I don't actually recommend it. aside from those notables there are about 100 different cheap and delicious buffets in curry hill that are way better than that grubby place in the e. village. dhaba on lex & 28 is all the rage now and for good reason.

>>4234984

mahmouns is great, momofuku milk bar is hipster shit, I'm not paying $9 for an average tasting cookie just because it has a cute name and is served with sleeve tattoos.

in general the advice in this thread is shockingly good by /ck/ standards, I guess the dumb NYU kids decided to stay out this time. I was surprised to see the shitty 56th street halal cart mentioned only once.

the city north of 55th is poorly represented ITT, I'd have to add the burger at le parker meridien, flor de mayo (peruvian chinese) on the upper west side, and seconding silvia's for the germanbro (there may well be better soul food in the city but it's not to be missed for a foreigner).

>> No.4237493

>>4237088

where did you get it?

>> No.4237728

>>4234553

I bet OP is one of those foreigners that's always talking bad about "'merrika", for a bunch that's talks so much you people sure as hell excited to come abroad, huh

Not just you OP, all of you are like this.

>> No.4237733

>>4237096
I haven't been following what's been going on in this thread, and just saw this post on the front page.

That is the worst and most unappetizing picture of food I have ever seen in my life.

Also those ferry rides were excruciatingly boring.

>> No.4237742

John's Pizzeria on Bleeker Street. Best pizza in the city.

>> No.4237761

>>4237255
And here we have an actual New Yorker. Thank god you showed up. The suggestions in this thread make me sad.

>> No.4237767
File: 226 KB, 900x740, amurrka_by_pokketmowse-d2xsa1s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4237728

>implying germanbros talk bad about us

germans usually love amurrka

>> No.4238234

>>4237742

Johns is semi tier pizza bro

>> No.4238273

Forget Gray's and go to Papaya King. If you go to the Met you will be close to it.

You also must go to Mamoun's Falafel and the 53rd and 6th Halal cart.

Damn, you're making me regret moving from the city.

>> No.4238404

I really like Le Cirque. I stayed in the Pierre last summer right before Sirio opened on the first floor, but I hear that's good too.

I mainly only know bars. Angels Share?

>> No.4238484

I'm not from there, but I visited and thought Eatly was pretty cool and not crazy expensive

>> No.4239508

>>4238484

if you mean eataly, pls go.
this place is fucking crowded. only their selection of bread is great.

>> No.4239525

Make a reservation at the comedy cellar in Greenwich, go grab a bite at mamouns falafel next door before or after the show. Louis CK turned up that one night i was there. Awesome.

Dat Katz Deli Pastrami on Rye. You have to grab that. Pricey for a sandwich but delicious.

>> No.4239575 [DELETED] 

>>4239508
>a store in new york is too crowded

I want NYU to leave

>> No.4240101
File: 342 KB, 2272x1624, bens-best-013.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ben's Best Delicatessen got some good ass pastrami sandwiches if you are willing to leave the main island.

>> No.4240140

that feel when had wisdom teeth extracted 2 days ago...
i'm hungry...

>> No.4240155

>>4234553
Patsy's for the best Italian food around. It's a rather famous place, surprised no one mentioned it.
Also best tiramisu I have ever had in my life.

http://www.patsys.com/

>> No.4240160 [DELETED] 

Ignore New York, it's not what it used to be, but since you're staying in Times Square it really doesn't matter what any of us say, you'll be starstruck.

Check out the rats on the street after dark and in the subways, and realize that's where your food's being stored. And go into central park after dark, if the hoards of rats don't suprise you, the raccoons will. It's not New York anymore, it's bloomberg shit nanny town, when he's out, I'll consider going back.

>> No.4240175 [DELETED] 

Bloomberg should consider that he's a laughing stock, he wonders about 16 oz sodas, but his companies are the shit, and he's a homosexual with a flapjack for a neck, it goes back and fro... his billions wont help him there.

He should be a mayor and some arbitrary asshole, but they all become that after enough years, he's the asshole that overrode the NYC Charter to get reelected. Even Ghouliani had enough respect for the people not to do that.

Yeah, avoid New York in these dismal times. Once Bloomberg is out of office, it'll get better.

>> No.4240191 [DELETED] 

Take a city bus for fun, and if you're quiet, you'll likely notice cockroaches and rats crawling all over the place... yup that's bloomberg town that fucking homosexual faggot. He's more worried about sodas than he his sucking some young boy cock.

>> No.4240250

if you like korean food but you're on a budget/want to sample a lot of different things, there's the (pay by the pound) lunch buffet at woorijip in k-town. there's a more "respectable" cafeteria-style food court across the street, but i've only been to one of the restaurants in it ("noodle 32") which had some pretty good korean noodle soups.

>> No.4240255

>>4240160
>>4240175
>>4240191
i dunno what that guy is on, probably some libertarian who's butthurt about not being able to drink half a gallon of mountain dew at restaurants anymore

>> No.4240266
File: 6 KB, 170x334, ff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

sylvias,that pizza place in coney island,spumoni gardens is another pizza place thats been around 60+ years, sicilian slice is fantastic but a lot of undercover cops and guidos hang out there.

Has anyone mentioned the dollar dumpling places in Chinatown that somehow manage to get an "A" but look as dirty as places in 3rd world countries? those dumplings are good...
If you want russian food head down to Brighton beach which is also known as "little russia by the sea" not sure about the restuarants there but shouldnt be too hard to find something.
I reside in Brooklyn so if you have any question about the BEST borough,ask.

>> No.4240267

>>4240250
Are you talking about "Pho 32?" That place is vietnamese, not korean. You ate vietnamese noodles.

>> No.4240271

>>4240266
>Brooklyn
>best

Please. You're lucky Staten Island is around or you would be considered the worst borough.

>> No.4240280

>>4240271
>All those songs by various musicians dedicated to Brooklyn.
>wu-tang rapping about the rock.
Im sorry you have to take a ferry or car to get to the nice part of NYC

>> No.4240285

>>4240266
>Brooklyn
>best

Please. You're lucky Staten Island is around or you would be considered the worst borough.

>> No.4240296

>>4240266

>but a lot of undercover cops and guidos hang out there.

ok, either you deal drugs or you need to loosen the tin foil. why would anyone care if cops are eating at a restaurant?

look at the bright side. if one of the guidos started some shit with you, it would be cool to have a bunch of undercover cops nearby.

>> No.4240303

>>4240296
Yeah its a private matter I suppose. Anyway still great.

>> No.4240508

>>4240296

>implying anyone wants to sit with nasty obese american undercover cops in a restaurant

>> No.4240537

>>4240285

staten island is literally a garbage dump...oh and a mall.

>> No.4240572

>>4240191

i've never seen a roach or a rat on a bus (now if you're talking about the train that's totally different), and i lived in brooklyn almost all of my life and i'm there constantly.

>> No.4240602

>>4234962

i got a camera from katz's deli once...someone left it in the bathroom, no one was there so i threw the case away and slipped the camera in my pocket. (funny story goes along with that though.)

i liked the camera and the fairly large extra memory card they bought for it better than the food to be honest.and there isn't a huge selection on the menu. juniors in brooklyn better as far as diners go.

donuts (it's a 24 hour diner) on 7th ave between 8th and 9th street in park slope, brooklyn makes great honey wheat waffles and as long as you don't get the old bitch with red hair as your waitress (seriously she's a cunt to most people unless they're regulars) you'll get pretty decent service... they're relatively inexpensive too.

>> No.4240607

>>4240602

btw if you do go to donuts and get a waffle they're huge, and big enough to split between 2 people (even 3 depending on how hungry you are) so you only need to order one + some coffee or tea or whatever.

>> No.4240656
File: 396 KB, 2272x1704, shopsins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anybody ever go to Shopsin's?

I was randomly given his book as a gift a year or so ago but haven't been to NYC to try it out since then.

It's all pretty simple stuff, but nonetheless looks delicious as fuck (and is definitely something you would most likely only find in the U.S./NYC).

>> No.4240675

>>4240656
>delicious as fuck

I'm going to pretend you're joking.

>> No.4240684
File: 1.74 MB, 3264x2448, 20130105_211310_4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4240656
Love the place! Try the kebob cafe in astoria... mark bittman went there with bourdain for an episode.

Pic of a rabbit dish i had there

>> No.4240685

>>4240656
>>4240675

Mexican Breakfast Skillet Combination, Letter “I”: 3 Hatch green chile egg sliders, lightly fried hash browns, 3 coconut pancakes, and 3 smushed and fried plantains

>you do realize half of the threads on /ck/ at the moment have to do with ("the best") fast food, right?

>> No.4240698

Well if you want decent pizza, you have to get on the train and head to Chicago and get some real pizza. Not that cheese and cardboard New Yorkers call "Pizza"

>> No.4240718
File: 71 KB, 800x600, 13360145128841.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4240698
>Chicago
>pizza

>> No.4240725

>>4234735
seconding katz. Best sandwich i've ever had.

>> No.4240733
File: 57 KB, 640x480, Laughing Sailors.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4240718
>New York
>Pizza

>> No.4240736
File: 16 KB, 479x360, Majin_Buu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4240718
>>4240733

NY = Pizza
Chicago = Pie

>Now shut the fuck up.

>> No.4240753
File: 60 KB, 460x285, peanutbutterandwhy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Last time I visited NYC for the day I took my gf who had never been.

>One of her requests was to have lunch at Peanut Butter & Co. (yeah, we're in our mid/late 20's...).

>Biggest waste of a meal in my life.

>> No.4240754

New York sounds truly awful. Change your vacation to asia and eat like a king.

>> No.4241603
File: 30 KB, 395x480, 1355501631784.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

can I get a bump?

>> No.4241622

>>4234553
Lower east side:
http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/

>> No.4241626

>>4241622

see:

>>4240753

>> No.4241627

>>4240754
>eat like a king who gets constant diarrhea
FTFY

>> No.4241630

>>4234553
I..I don't know how to tell you this, but the Grays on 8th is closed, and I fear B'Way may not make it til May

>> No.4241631

>>4241627
not everyone is allergic to salt

>> No.4241633

>>4240101
HOLY SHIT BEN'S BEST!!!

But, come on, OP isn't going to schlep all the way to fucking Queens... hell it's more than halfway to Nassau.

>> No.4241652
File: 47 KB, 335x400, larry_david_photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dallas BBQ has locations all over Manhattan (including one on 42nd street by Times Square, but that one is their most over-crowded, least consistent location).
They have one of the best sit-down meals for under $10 on the island of Manhattan.
Check their website for other locations:
http://www.dallasbbq.com/

If you are feeling brave and want to try some street food, the halal chicken and rice cart on Houston St. between Prince and B'Way is the best in lower manhattan IMHO.

If you like seriously hot Cochinita Pibil, my choice for that little dish is Zarela on 2nd Ave uptown (it is a bit pricey though)
http://www.zarela.com/

While overcrowded and a bit of a tourist trap, Serendipity III is a dessert classic, especially their frozen hot chocolate. It's on E. 60th.
www.serendipity3.com/

Also, if you want a passable, but super cheap, 99cent slice of pizza I suggest the little hole in the wall on 9th ave and W 44th St.

Also, you can't go to NY without having a real bagel. For the best, I suggest Ess-a-bagel... there is one on 3rd and 51st.

>> No.4241675 [DELETED] 

>>4241652

Fucking Dallas BBQ and Serendipity are you shitting me? Who are you?

>> No.4241683

>>4241675
Dallas had credibility until their debacle of a restaurant on 42nd. That is why I suggest another location for OP. The one on 72nd is much fucking better.

>> No.4241689 [DELETED] 

>>4241683

I haven't been to the one on 42nd. The fact that there are people out there that are connoisseurs of Dallas BBQ and can actually speak about the nuances of each location worries me.

>> No.4241694

>>4241689
don't you fucking tell me you think the shithole of a bastardization of Dinosaur that was hastily opened in Harlem is better.

And if so, you better not say you've actually been to one of their upstate locations as well and can't notice a difference.

>> No.4241696 [DELETED] 

>>4241694

What? I really don't care about BBQ. I guess if you're into that, Hill Country or Blue Smoke are alright. You have terrible taste in food, just deal with it.

>> No.4241697

>>4241696
>doesn't care for a particular cuisine
>judges someone else's preference for it

I bet you fucking eat at Guy Fieri's new restaurant you fucking plebeian wannabe fuckhead.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY CITY.

>> No.4241700

>>4241697
>>4241696
>>4241694
>>4241689
>>4241683
>>4241675

OP, if you venture too far uptown or downtown, you will witness fights like this IRL.

>> No.4241701 [DELETED] 

>>4241697

You're a connoisseur of a restaurant that serves flourescent blue cocktails and adds an automatic 18% because it's assumed that everyone who eats there is a dirtbag.

Let that sink in for a minute while you obsess over Guy Fieri.

>> No.4241705

>>4241701
oh you're an anti-tipper.

Go back to fucking Kennedy Friend Chicken where you belong.

>> No.4241706 [DELETED] 

>>4241705

hahahahaha

>> No.4241894

Oh hey, New Yorkers. I've got a question for you guys.

Why the fuck is it so hard to find Mexican food in Manhattan? Seriously, I was there for two weeks and spent most of my time just wandering around the island and I think I saw maybe one Mexican butcher and two or three sit-down Mexican restaurants. I saw tons of places devoted to serving food from every other country in Latin America and the Caribbean but I saw fuck all Mexican places - much less cheap Mexican places.

>> No.4241897

>>4241894
just go to the taco bell online locator, i'm sure they have a few locations in nyc

>> No.4241963

>>4237493

JFK Airport Terminal 8

>> No.4241971

>>4241894

While not a native New Yorker, I have to say, this is one thing that always confused me about NYC.

I lived in California, and then I lived in NYC for awhile. Everybody always said: "you can get any and every type of cuisine in NYC!".

Guess what, on the one hand, if you don't have unlimited money, then you are limited in what you can get in NYC. On the other hand, if you come from somewhere where Mexican food is cheap and plentiful, then NYC is like a complete desert when it comes to Mexican food. I'm sure it exists, but the cheap/authentic shit you can get in many other parts of the country is simply non-existent in the city.

Seriously though, most kitchens are filled with Hispanic/South Americans, and you can find pretty much every variety of Latin cuisine.

For some crazy reason, however, Mexican food just seems to be completely absent from NYC...

>> No.4242003
File: 101 KB, 640x427, mamoun's front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't think anyone else mentioned it but this was my absolute favorite food in NYC. Unbelievably good falafel and shawarma.

>> No.4242056

>>4241971

there's a lot of mexican restaurants in nyc, fuck i've lived in two places that were a block away from mexican restaurants. idk about manhattan, but there's plenty in brooklyn.

>> No.4242058

>>4242003
>mamoun's
mah nigga

>> No.4242086
File: 18 KB, 510x430, 1306992323175.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4240101
>tfw a bens deli closes and is replaced by a Zan's.

It's not the same man.

>> No.4242215 [DELETED] 
File: 56 KB, 225x220, 1339622029845.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw a bens deli closes and is replaced by a Zan's

please dont tell me its going to close

>> No.4242219
File: 56 KB, 225x220, 1339622029845.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4242086

>tfw a bens deli closes and is replaced by a Zan's

please dont tell me its going to close

>> No.4242256
File: 16 KB, 220x220, 220px-Europe72Back.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4242056

are any of them good though?

this place on 1st ave called east village bakery is the best acording to a village voice poll, and it sucks

>> No.4242271

about to go to ny just to visit a friend, anyone know some good eats around the heights?

>> No.4242279

guy's american kitchen and bar :^)

>> No.4242713

OP, NYC resident of 7years here. Some of my best meals have been from grocery store/bakeries/cheese shops, so don't discount them for a picnic-y breakfast or lunch, either in your hotel room or a park, depending upon the weather.

Bakeries: Breads Bakery on 16th and Union Square just opened up and it is delicious, Ceci-Cela, one of the 5 million Asian bakeries (Chinatown or KTown...I love Tous Les Jours in KTown), Maison Kayser, Epicerie Boulud, Bouchon Bakery, Balthazar, Bien Cuit on Christopher St., etc etc

Cheese shops: Bedford Cheese Shop in Gramercy, Murray's (either option also has other misc grocery items/charcuterie)

Grocery: Eataly (ignore the haters, it's fun), Citarella, Agata & Valentina, Dean & Deluca, Union Market, Polish deli near St. Mark's, Sunrise Mart for Japanese stuff, Kalustyan's, etc etc

Also don't ignore good coffee shops (Abraço, Bluebird, Birch, Jack's Stir-brewed) if you want a casual breakfast, a pastry and cappuccino or something (another one of my favorite things to do in NYC). Peels also has a really good breakfast for not a ton of money.

If you drink, try picking a place with good bar bites, since it gives you an opportunity to try a lot of little things without committing to a $30 entree. Alta in the W. Village can get pricy, but if you just go for a glass of wine and split maybe 3-4 tapas you'll get out of there under your budget. One of my favorite restaurants. For a dirt cheap yakitori experience, I'm partial to Oh! Taisho on St. Mark's. $3.75 Sapporo drafts and all the grilled things on sticks you can eat. Otafuku nearby has good takoyaki too.

In terms of not-hugely-expensive-but-memorable restaurants, here are a few I like: The Breslin, Otto, Yunnan Kitchen, Blue Smoke.

>> No.4242737
File: 37 KB, 400x300, tao.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4234553
Born and bred NYC here.

You really can't go wrong in Chinatown for Chinese food. Olli's by Lincoln Center is good too.

If you're looking for an "experience" go to Tao (pic relatedIt's on the expensive end, naturally, celebrities frequent it. But I've been there a few times and the food has always been good and the restaurant has great atmosphere.

>> No.4242749

>>4242056
yes but they are not very good. speaking as someone who has eaten Mexican food in 8 US states and 11 Mexican states, nyc Mexican is pretty much shit tier. this includes 4 out of 5 boroughs, can't comment on S.I.

>> No.4242755

>>4242749
SI here...we have a few places, the ones I've been to are decent. There's this one place called Burrito Bar that I like.

>> No.4242761 [DELETED] 

>>4240572
I have, I used to have one of bus passes to get to school before I wised up and got a subway pass. The cockroaches are all over busses, it's like they breed them from spontaneous generation. I learned that after getting off a bus or a subway, just make sure shake any bags that I have before going home to make sure no unwanted critters were being brought along.

>> No.4242772

>>4242755
decent by what standard though. I'm sure many native nyers would say the same about their native borough, but only because of the flawed assumption that nyc always has the best of everything rather than merely some of everything.

>> No.4242779 [DELETED] 

It's Planet of the Apes day on AMC, if you want to see what the NYC subways are like, check it out.

Though a movie can't get across the smells.

>> No.4242785

>>4242772
Yeah, honestly I don't think I've ever had Mexican outside of NYC so I dunno what it tastes like other places, lol.

>> No.4242790

>>4242785
It's good shit over here in California. Probably because Mexican immigrants and all that.

>> No.4243145

>>4242779

implying only nyc subways smell like piss and shit

>> No.4244546

>NYC
>not having a bagel

Either the mentioned Ess-A-Bagel or Absolute Bagels. Both make great bagels.

>> No.4245867

anyone knows any good vegan restaurants?

>> No.4245891

>>4245867

Candle 79 at 79th and Lex

http://www.candle79.com/

>> No.4245895

Momofuku. Milk bar.

>> No.4248300

>>4245895

The thing which bugs me about Momofuku are the fucking obvious hipsters there

>> No.4248386

>>4241652
>Dallas BBQ

Avoid at all costs. Dry chicken and nigs make for a terrible experience. Why on earth would you go to a chain when there is so much better BBQ in the city?

>> No.4248398

>>4245867
oxymoron as fuck

>> No.4248403

>>4244546
H&H on the upper east side is open 24/7 if OP gets hungry for one in the middle of the night.

>> No.4248593

>>4240602

I wholeheartedly recommend Junior's in Brooklyn (the one's in Manhattan are complete tourist traps).

If you are going to go to NYC, go to a fucking diner (go to a few if you are there for a couple weeks and are on a budget).

Do Katz's, 2nd Ave. Deli, or one of the other suggestions for pastrami, corned beef, tongue, etc., but Junior's has a huge menu and a much less touristy feel (pretty much get out of Manhattan a few times, but make sure you have an idea of where you are going, as its a lot different randomly wandering in the outer boroughs compared to most of Manhattan).

>> No.4248626

>>4248386

Dinosaur and Brother Jimmies (get some swamp water and fatty brisket), even Southern Comfort.

>> No.4248627

>>4248626

Southern Hospitality I mean (something else is on my I guess).

>> No.4248783

>>4248626
>Dinosaur

Do you mean Dinosaur Jr.? (Original Dinosaur is, I believe, somewhere upstate.)

If it's your first time in the U.S. and you are only going to NYC, I'd say Dinosaur Jr. is a solid option for Southern/BBQ in Manhattan.

Above all else, my biggest suggestion would be to get a portable map (such as on your phone) of the subway system, so that getting around isn't really a problem (seriously though, if you've been to any big city with a metro/subway/tube, NYC is straightforward as fuck... until they start announcing changes over the intercom, in which case you wont be able to understand shit even if you are NYC native...).

>> No.4249211

>>4248783
The best bbq in the north east is found at any of the several dinosaur bbq locations.

They smoke half hogs, some locations smoke full hogs. All locations are named dinosaur bbq.

Used to work at one location like over 10 years ago.

>> No.4249237

>>4234553
Hey OP, if you're still taking suggestions I live in New York City and I have to tell you, do not go to Shake Shack. It tastes alright, but it's nothing spectacular, just another old burger joint.

It's not a restaurant, but if you find yourself near it there's a great halal food cart at 53rd and 6th. It's pretty well known for being the best halal stand in NYC. I'd also recommend Momofuku.

>> No.4249254

Ippudo NY for ramen.
Great Noodletown in Chinatown for Cantonese.
Marea is you wanna splurge.

Since you're staying in Midtown, there's this good coffee shop called Culture Espresso Bar. The walk to Midtown Comics for a read.

Katz for Jewish food. You owe them that.

>> No.4249794

>>4248403
Where abouts exactly? Didn't that close down?

>> No.4249809
File: 201 KB, 500x333, 4456790354_4809638310.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pates et Traditions in Brooklyn for some great crepes. Also a place called Baked NYC for well baked goods.

Pic related, interior of Pates et Traditions. It looks like a little French cottage or some shit.

>> No.4250729

>>4249254

Nope it didn't close down, you can find it in 1551 2nd Ave between 80th St & 81st St.

>> No.4250991

>>4234553

I'm sorry to say but NYC is a terrible place. It's incredibly boring.

>> No.4251429

The Brindle Room in East Village for a fucking amazing burger. The classics like Katz's and Shakeshack I don't really need to mention, they're classics for a reason.

>> No.4251455

>>4250991

You're incredibly boring. Your shitty opinions fuck up every thread, and your food is disgusting.

Just die.

>> No.4251470

>>4250991

Never heard that before. I don't think anywhere in Canada can be more exciting. In fact the only place that likely has more sensory overload than NYC is Mumbai, Bangkok, or Manila.

>> No.4251471

>>4251455

i'm assuming he is a trip.

the wonderful thing about 4chan is that if you can't see the tripcodes, they don't have any power or influence.

add this code to your custom CSS and you will never see a tripcode again. they will be reduced to anons like the rest of us.

the code:

http://pastebin.com/6AenPt3T

>> No.4252032

>>4250991
>I'm sorry to say but NYC is a terrible place. It's incredibly boring.

>I'm sorry to say but NYC can be incredibly boring if you don't have money to take advantage of all it has to offer.

I fixed it for you.

That said, there are things that are affordable, but most of those are in the outer boroughs.