[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 433 KB, 1024x768, 34093222.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4210695 No.4210695 [Reply] [Original]

Would it be weird if I said I stopped in at hospitals just to eat at their cafeterias?

Also doesn't this look pretty good for cafeteria food?

>> No.4210698

>>4210695
not bad, but i prefer my dining to be in less germ-filled air

>> No.4210700

Hospitals, by their nature, are generators of disease.

>> No.4210702

>>4210698
A hospital is one of the most sanitary places you can be.

>> No.4210701

>>4210695
Yeah, looks definitely better than what I had when they had to cut by guts open.
Understandable, since it's the food area that was concerned, but the celery and carrots soup was terrible.

>> No.4210710

Nope, local hospital has notoriously good food. That isn't even unheard of around here.

>> No.4210721

>>4210710

Is it all cooked in-house or what?

I actually work at a hospital in central CT and we use Morrison Food Services for our cafeteria and it's total fucking shit. I don't know who they contract with for the actual food but it's the same institutional crap you get at grade schools etc (seriously the hamburger was like a bad trip down memory lane). Pizza is strangely off-tasting. They also have "Outtakes" branded sandwiches and wraps that sit in the fridge racks all day and are uniformly disappointing. And breakfast? Discolored sausage patties, tasteless hash browns (McD's are better than these), disgusting turkey bacon.

>> No.4210724

>>4210721
Sounds like the hospital I work at.

>> No.4210726

>>4210702
>actually believes this

>> No.4210733

>>4210702

right, that's where all the healthy people go just to hang out.

>> No.4210736

>>4210702
work at a hospital. you wouldnt believe how dirty they are and how awful your nurses and doctors are.
Hell alot of them watch how to operate from videos shared on youtube....

yea good luck dying slow

>> No.4210737

>>4210724
What do you do there? I'm one of the server admins thank god so I get to stay in the I.T. offices which are enclosed and isolated away from the rest of the hospital, and you have to badge in to access them. I don't even like walking around the rest of the hospital because it's too depressing.

One thing I forgot to mention about our cafeteria is that there's a small station where someone will cook up omelets, or basically whatever they can from the ingredients they get. It's probably the only food there worth a damn and so there's always a long line.

>> No.4210738

>>4210724
probably sodexo, like most hospitals.

>> No.4210739

>>4210702
No. Far from it. They are famous for passing along nosocomial infections to patients and staff. That is where super bugs are born. Ones like MRSA, ORSA. They mutate and become resistant to antibiotics. They are much more dangerous than common stapholococcus found outside of the hospital.

Also - the most common hospital acquired infections:

Ventilator-associated pneumonia
Staphylococcus aureus
Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus
Candida albicans
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Acinetobacter baumannii
Stenotrophomonas maltophilia
Clostridium difficile
Tuberculosis
Urinary tract infection
Hospital-acquired pneumonia
Gastroenteritis
Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus
Legionnaires' disease

>> No.4210758

I've had good food at hospitals and while flying on a plane

>> No.4210776

>>4210758
never ate on a plane.. .thought he longest flight i been on was 6 hours.

>> No.4210790

ITT: Europeans trying to project their inferior FREE HOSPITALS onto America's.

>> No.4210799

>>4210739

>not athletes foot

>> No.4210804

>>4210695
It looks greasy and bland.

And yes, it does make you weird. It makes you weird as hell.

But I definitely know that urge.

>> No.4210818

>>4210721
New Britain General? Or Bradley memorial?
I thought the food wasn't bad for the cost. Depends what you got. Chicken shits with cranberry sauce or the wings wasn't half bad. This was a few years ago, don't know if it changed or not.
>>4210695
I don't think it's weird. I thought about doing it, not a place you'd normally think about getting a bite to eat but if you can't find anywhere else why not.
>captch "favakv symptoms"
Am I gonna die?

>> No.4210832

>>4210790
Dude I live in America and I have snuck into hospital eateries for the cheap food.

>> No.4210843

>>4210832
"snuck" into? lol hospitals are open to the public. there's nothing stopping you from eating at their cafeteria. it's just that most people would never want to go there unless they had to. hospitals are fucking depressing places

>> No.4210855

>>4210832

I was talking about the dirty part.

The local hospitals in my town are all world-class, but I've never had a problem with sanitation through even weeks of stay.

Also there is the fact that the air is the least sanitary part of everything and the air-scrubbers at hospitals keep it pretty sterile and low-humidity, which makes it difficult for bacteria to cultivate.

>> No.4210881

>>4210818
Hartford hospital and Southwest flights out of Bradely

>> No.4210910

>>4210881
god Hartford is such a hole

>> No.4210933

>>4210910
Every city in CT is after all the industry fled the state.

>> No.4210938

I was able to sneak into my local hospital's cafeteria. I ordered a double cheeseburger and a plate of fries. I was able to pay for my food, eat it and sneak back out without anyone catching me.

>> No.4210950

>>4210933
Glastonbury (rich-people town) is nice

>> No.4210986

>>4210721
my mother used to be a nutritionist in New Britain General in the 90s. She said the food was amazing then but now I can see it all went to shit.

>> No.4210996

Hospital cafeterias are for staff and visitors, and are generally extremely good and healthy options.

The shit that they serve patient on the other hand is prepackaged, devoid of nutrition, and subsidized to hell and back.

So no, OP. I don't find it weird.

>> No.4211101

I like trying new cafeterias wherever they are, and I do like hospital cafeterias. I don't go to the hospital just for the food, though I've joked it because I've always enjoyed hospital food whenever visiting sick family or friends.

So yeah, when my family wants to eat at a place I don't like, I've actually said "okay you guys go, I'll pop into the Kaiser down the street."

>> No.4211121

I work at a hospital, and the food is pretty good (especially the grill). It's the same conglomerate that did the food at my University, so a lot of the recipes are the same.

>> No.4211125

My friend's mom was a doctor and we'd eat in the cafeteria for free. Had some good chicken parmesan.

>> No.4211152

>>4211125
none of the staff at my hospital eats for free. We do get a 20% discount, though.

>> No.4211162

At least one hospital near me does great fried foods.

>> No.4211169

>>4210695
Looks aight. The soup on the left side of the tray sorta resembles a stool sample but it's usually the ugly soups that taste best anyway. Dat taco salad...mmmmm.

>> No.4211435

I used to eat at the hospital cafeteria when I'd pass by. Hospital food is the best food.

>> No.4211452

>>4211435

I'd actually go purposely, too.

>> No.4211458

I worked as a nursing assistant and research aide in Seattle -- the hospital has a "special" for lunch on weekdays. I lined up for the $18 prime rib meal, but the chef stepped out. The lady I've known for a while cut off a portion three times the serving for me, I hurried my ass off back to the office.

Good memories. They had pretty good food they cooked up on their own, as well as a grill. You can ask for off-menu stuff and they'll make it happen.

>> No.4211775

fried fish sandwich please

yummmm

>> No.4211796

hospital>school>jail food

>> No.4211810

>>4211796

I'm sad I never got to experience jail food beyond sandwiches and flat pop. There was no kitchen at the police station and I only got a muffin in jail the next day.

It was pretty good, though.

>> No.4211814

Not at all. When my dad was in the hospital, I really liked some of the food. I think it was a little expensive though.

>> No.4211833

>>4210739
yeah, my grandma went into the hospital for something minor, and ended up staying over a month because of all the shitty stuff she contracted AT the hospital.

>> No.4211835

>>4210702
I'm an EMT and you are fucking retarded

>> No.4211908

>>4210736
I have. I've assisted in an operation where a consultant urologist had to watch on youtube how to operate a skin graft harvester.

It's not reasonable to expect one person to know everything. That's why you get a team of doctors.

>> No.4211916

Well seeing as this has degenerated into two separate arguments. Hospital/Cafeteria food and Hospital Hygiene I'll answer with my opinions separately.
Preamble - I got hit by a car in Nov 2011, since then have spent a total of maybe 5 weeks in hospital in different stints (and under different circumstances) resulting from that accident. This is at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, Australia.
Germs: All hospitals are full of them, on my 2nd & 3rd stay I got to stay at the new building (much nicer and unlike all but 2 other hospitals in the state), doesn't have MRSA in it's foundation. Open windows and direct sunlight kill that shit, most wards don't have this. In fact the metal rod they put in my leg was covered in a hospital grown MRSA which took a 16k run of anti biotics to cure.
Now, food. 2 of my 3 stays I was in the new building at the Alfred, I was also mobile. The first I was bedridden. The SLOP that you get is inedible. Breakfast is cold, moist toast in a plastic bag with a tiny bowl of cereal and a tiny tub of reconstituted orange juice that tastes like arse or watery coffee/tea. The wards do have kitchenettes though, stocked with slightly better tea/coffee that you can make yourself if you can walk. Lunch and Dinner are generally unrecognisable as to what they are. Half is undercooked, half is overcooked and one day I literally couldn't tell if what I was eating was chicken or fish. No amount of seasoning makes it more than barely choke-downable. Regular cafeteria is bland fare but the new wing of the hospital has the greatest cafeteria ever - it'd be just as in place on a trendy street. Not cheap but goddamn, they'd have a couple of daily in house roasts, curries, salads and the most amazing foccacia rolls. The roast vegetable variety (roast eggplant, red peppers, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, pumpkin and mixed green salad) was to die for. When I was ambulating I'd generally forgoe the hospital meals and go down and spend $20 for lunch & dinner.

>> No.4211921

>>4211916
I should also add, the SINGLE meal they gave me the whole time I was there that I liked was the most disgusting looking of them all. Gray/brown diarrhoea looking lumps on a puddle of tasteless mashed potato.

It was a lamb curry with quince paste and it was utterly fucking delicious, almost like a tagine. I'd be happy to replicate it at home - obviously making it not look like vomit.

>> No.4211924

>hospital serves what OP posted
>meanwhile, 50% of the people in there wouldn't be ill if they stayed away from that kind of food

I guess the hospital is ensuring future business... have at it OP.

>> No.4211951

>>4211924
B-but that's a salad.
Salad is healthy! This is why I can have 3 creme filled donuts as a dessert, as a reward for being so diet conscious for my lunch.

>> No.4211959

>>4211924
>50% of the people in there wouldn't be ill if they stayed away from that kind of food
>62.7% of people pull statistics out of their ass

>> No.4211963

>>4211959
also,
>implying the cafeterias cater to "those who are ill" and not employees

>> No.4212037

>>4211916
>>4211921
That sounds terrible. I'm sorry to hear you had to go through that and I hope you've been able to recover as much as possible since then.

I'm one of the people above who enjoys cafeteria food, but I also remember visiting sick relatives who were served dinners they couldn't finish, and tasting their food. It wasn't too far removed from what they served in the cafeterias, just in smaller portions. This is in California.

>> No.4212061
File: 51 KB, 500x375, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4211959
>86% of non vegetarians die
>117% turn to hard drugs by 11
Pls stop eat caftyria 4 child

>> No.4213011

>Go to hospital for little brother
>Go to Cafeteria

>Cafeteria no longer sells soda
>For lunch was a boiled chicken breast, broccoli and cheese marked as the "indulgence of the day" and boiled potatoes.
>Salad bar with no cheese or meat.

fine i'll get the soup...

>sodium-less chicken broth with rice and veggies.

Fuck when I was little the hospital had a fucking Pizza Hut in it. Now it's all healthy and shit. The soup was so terrible and bland.

>> No.4213050

>>4210695
>Bowl of vomit
>rabbit food
>improperly served cola
>food almost certainly molested by underpaid and improperly tipped staff

0/10 Do not want

>> No.4213107

Fuck Hospital food. Being bed-bound in one for the better part of a month turns you off of that shit real quick. Though, I will admit it was kind of nice having a full menu at your disposal for every meal, even if most of it was shit. I was a fucking connoisseur of that thing by the time I was released.

>Deli sandwiches are usually a safe bet
>Veggie burgers and lasagna surprisingly good
>Soups and salads are decent
>NEVER get fish
>NEVER get pizza
>NEVER, EVER get red meat

>> No.4213156

>>4213107

At the hospital they served Thanksgiving dinner in shifts from eleven in the morning until one in the afternoon. Dennis got his at quarter past twelve: three careful slices of white turkey breast, one careful ladleful of brown gravy, a scoop of instant mashed potatoes the exact size and shape of a baseball (lacking only the red stitches, he thought with sour amusement), a like scoop of frozen squash that was an arrogant fluorescent orange, and a small plastic container of cranberry jelly. For dessert there was ice cream. Resting on the corner of his tray was a small blue card.

Wise to the ways of the hospital by now - once you have been treated for the first set of bedsores to crop up on your ass, Dennis had discovered, you're wiser to the ways of the hospital than you ever wanted to be - he asked the candy-striper who came to take away his tray what the yellow and red cards got for their Thanksgiving dinner. It turned out that the yellow cards got two pieces of turkey, no gravy, potato, no squash, and Jell-O for dessert. The red cards got one slice of white meat, pureed, and potato. Fed to them, in most cases.

Dennis found it all pretty depressing. It was only too easy to imagine his mother bringing a great big crackling capon to the dining-room table around four in the afternoon, his father sharpening his carving knife, his sister, flushed with importance and excitement, a red velvet ribbon in her hair, pouring each of them a glass of good red wine. It was also easy to imagine the good smells, the laughter as they sat down.

>> No.4214516

THANKS CK FOR BEING SO COOL

YOUR LIKE /b/ BUT NOT FUCKING ASSHOLES

(they can be nice too) but CK, ck is nice all the time

>> No.4214633
File: 40 KB, 200x200, 1306992113788.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been in a out of hospitals for 2 years now due to a series of surgeries to remove and replace my colon.

Anyway, here are the protips for patient hospital food.

Deli Sandwiches are usually ok. It isn't like the staff can fuck it up.

Fish is usually fucking garbage but once in a blue moon if you get placed in a specific floor for people going through colon procedures you'll get a nice salmon from an actual restaurant or something.

The "pot roast" is anything but.

The pizza is somehow worse than public schools.

The pasta dishes are dry even with the spoonful of sauce you get.

The coffee is instant.

and yet the only thing to look forward to while in a hospital is the mediocre food.

>> No.4214693

>>4213156
stephen kings christine amirite?