[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 107 KB, 460x738, yes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4209015 No.4209015 [Reply] [Original]

So I love a great whole grain mustard but I just finally picked this up and I'm in love. I feel I'm making it a bit to loose.

>> No.4209023

what/how are you making "it"? looking for a straight-up mustard condiment?

>> No.4209027

A little water, probably over the 1 to 1 and using for a dip / sandwich accent.

>> No.4209031

woo, that's some strong dip
if I were making mustard condiment from scratch, I'd probably use a cornstarch slurry to thicken it and keep it from being pure mustard. I'd make a slurry, add it to simmering water/mustard mixture, and stir, let it cook until it ceases to get any thicker, usually 3-4 minutes is enough, but it depends on the heat. I'd add in some vinegar or wine or lemon juice, powdered garlic, honey, salt, and maybe a bit of paprika or chili powder or cayenne. sage could be nice in there too, but it wouldn't be as versatile.

>> No.4209035

>>4209031
It is a very spicy mustard but I will look to this to dull it down a bit, what I'm making now is some sort of english wasabi.

>> No.4209053

>>4209031
On the slurry, would you say a 4/1? Guessing about how much bite I want.

>> No.4211007

Anyone else?

>> No.4211039

>>4209053
I'm not sure about the ratio. Whenever I use slurry, I just mix some up, add a bit into the sauce, stir while cooking, add a bit more if needed, repeat. Unless you're using something like agaragar or arrowroot, which don't hold up to cooking very well, it should be fine, even over prolonged simmering.

>> No.4211066

next time you make macaroni & cheese, add some of this. never go back to mustard-less cheese noodles.

>> No.4211079

you should use oil.

I think 50 oil / 50 mustard water (or vinegar) or something

You need to let it sit for awhile before use also, but you've probably figured that one out already

I use it in everything (sauces, dressings, rubs, etc...