[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 148 KB, 970x600, midnight-moon-xl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4174814 No.4174814 [Reply] [Original]

I bought some strawberry moonshine. Anyone know of any tasty cocktails this can make?

Google suggested a strawberry mint julep. The guy at the liquor store suggested putting the strawberries on ice cream and adding more strawberries when I run out.

>> No.4174828

>>4174814
wait, you can flavor moonshine by throwing in fruits and shit into the jar? Does it taste any good? Cause I've just been packing them away in my sock drawer in mason jars.

>> No.4174834

>>4174828
It tastes pretty good. Really strong at 50%abv, which is why the sales guy suggested adding more strawberries. Its a pretty solid flavor though.

I've had some homemade apple moonshine that was all kinds of beautiful.

>> No.4174851

>not making your own shine and using the fruit to dilute it down to acceptable proof

>purchasing legit moonshine

you gotta step it up /ck/

>> No.4174878

>>4174834
My shine is stronger than that, so I'm not sure it would work the same. I'm just about done brewing two batches of cornmeal mash though, so after I use half a jar to pay off a debt, I might experiment with flavoring.

>> No.4174880

>>4174851
How do you dilute it with fruit? do you just pop some fruit in there and let it sit for a few weeks? do you add the juice? do you put the fruits in whole or cut up?

I must know.

>> No.4174898

>>4174880
I had 120 proof liquor so this made it easy to fill a mason jar 2/3 full of liquor, and add fruit to bring it to the full pint to bring it to a nice 80 proof which people tend to enjoy more than something you can light on fire. Just figure out your ratios.

Also, the fruit will release its juices into the solution, and absorb alcohol. Strawberries turned almost white.

>> No.4174905

>>4174880
oh, and it only took a couple days for the color of the liquor to change

>> No.4174919

>>4174898
Excellent! Thanks for the info. I'm cheap as hell so I haven't bought a spirit hydrometer yet (although I've used the "bead" method before with some success), so I can't say how strong my shine is, but I've run it through the still 3 times so I'm guessing it has a pretty high abv (personally I can never tell with taste). I will began experimenting with flavored shine soon.

>> No.4174955

>>4174919
that was one item I needed to have as a novice, it was way cheaper than the ones they use for beer and wine, I think it was $5.95 at a homebrew store