[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 67 KB, 612x612, 1348815048835.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4170035 No.4170035[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I need help, I'm going to a trial day for a job as a pastry chef in probably a few days, a family member put in the word for me for this job. The place isn't a shithole but its not a top restaurant, its always busy and has a good reputation. I have never worked aas a chef before and haven't been trained in cooking. The dessert menu is quite simple but I need help as to do's and don'ts, basic principles, how to do well and basically just any advice you can give me.

tl;dr Have trial day for pastry chef, no experience, help.

Thanks, co/ck/s

>> No.4170039

Bump

>> No.4170041

>>4170035

What is that? A stingray?

>> No.4170045

>>4170041
Yes some sort of ray, idk anything about it though found the picture on 4chan.

>> No.4170052

ur screwed my friend it is very unlikely that you can do any baking at a high level. the pastry chef in a restaurant is going to be responsible for baking and garnishing all the desserts i just dont think you are going to be able to pull this off with no experience and training.

the only way you could luck out is if it was a shit hole and all you were doing is thawing out pre packaged cakes and just garnishing them with premade sauces or something.

even then with no culinary training being able to do that is not that likely. please hope its more of a garde manger type job where all your doing is squirting the chip cream and sauces on the desserts and making salads and cold apps that you could probably do in time with help

>> No.4170055

>>4170052
My family mamber said it was a 'dessert chef' position but when googling how to pull that off it said pastry so are they the same thing? She said after the trial day (or maybe during) they'd train me up. Does it sound any more possible now? Like I said the place isn't a top restaurant so I imagine some thing (not all) may be pre-packaged or more simple than in top restaurants.

>> No.4170057

>>4170055
I think they are the same but just checking btw also double dubs get at me. P-pls, get at me with advice.

>> No.4170059

>>4170039
First, you bumped, on >>>/ck/, in less than 5 minutes. SCREAMS newfag. Lurk moar.

Second, being any kind of chef is something you train to do for years. You, sir, are fucked.

>> No.4170066

>>4170055
in response to this the only chance you have is that this job is just in serving the deserts or plating them. i dont think you have the discipline to actually bake desserts at a high level. being a pastry chef is a very skilled discipline involving using many techniques that are advanced and also very very very careful measuring of ingredients to make recipes come out right.

if all your job is entails is serving the pastries and garnishing them you surely can learn to do this. u will be slicing cakes and pies and garnishing them and scooping ice cream and the like.

if you are expected to produce the said desserts from scratch you are wasting your time.

>> No.4170072

>>4170059
I bumped because I'm not a newfag and I know how slow /ck/ is. Given that I want a reply quickly bumping is a suitable thing to do.

>> No.4170075

>>4170066
If it was really that tough though why would my family member offer the job and then why would the manager offer me a trial day? Family member knows I have no experience and assume she said so, I even specifically asked about training and she said they would train me.

>> No.4170077

>>4170075
i.e Perhaps this place uses simpler methods etc.

Also I have eaten in the place several times, the dessert menu is not as complicated as other places. This place is a burger bar, the owners also have a grill across the street. It looks fancy though and is always full. They don't do many desserts either which is a plus.

>> No.4170078

>>4170072
>I bumped because I'm not a newfag and I know how slow /ck/ is.
Well then if you weren't a newfag you wouldn't of bumped it while it was on PAGE ONE at SIX A.M. on a MONDAY MORNING after being up for a total of FIVE MINUTES.
>Given that I want a reply quickly bumping is a suitable thing to do.
On another board, where people don't read past page one, sure, that works. On /ck/, that's full retard, son. I hope you crash and burn at this job and cut your hand off with a spoon.

>> No.4170083

>>4170078
>Its not 6AM where I am, its 11AM
>There is no need to be upset faggot

>> No.4170086

>>4170083
>HURR DURR U MAD
Cool story >>>/b/ro. Tell it again.

>> No.4170087

>>4170075
the only thing i can think buddy is that your expecting to be the pastry chef and really you will be a garde manger type bitch guy in a restaurant.

like i said you could do that its entry level position in a restaurant. you will plate deserts and garnish them. squirt whip cream and sauce on a plate place a berry or mint sprig.

possibly make salads and cold sandwhiches.

i do not think anyone would hire a pastry chef with no experience and think they could train you in a day. also if you have absolutely no restaurant experience, this trial shift this "stage" is going to single you out and they wont hire you probably. they will get a free day or few hours of work out of you laugh at your ineptitued and never call you back.

staging is usually a way to weed out the baddies such as yourself people who have 0 restaurant experienc. sorry to say but this is true

>> No.4170092

>>4170087
i've worked as a chef garde manger and it is anything but a bitch position.. sure the cold shit is easy but you also manage some fried stuff too; you take care of pans when the pans guy isn't around, etc. also i do all of the associated station prep for the entire line whenever whatever needs to be done.. yeah there's the dessert plating and salads and easy shit but honestly that's the easiest part of the job, the other prep and other stations are far more difficult.

>> No.4170094

>>4170087
Ok its likely garde manger then, as my family member didn't specifically say "pastry chef" but said "dessert chef" and i assumed that meant pastry chef.

>> No.4170096

>>4170092
Ok given that you have experience in this position can you give me advice please?

>> No.4170198

Dude, you're going for a trial at a job that you have no clue what it is

You're fucked no matter what

>> No.4170218 [DELETED] 
File: 15 KB, 300x300, donette_crum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4170035

OP you are fine. any restaurant that hires a pastry chef without checking his credentials probably just expects you to unwrap things and occasionally microwave them.

i'd bring a few boxes of assorted krispy kreme with me, and if any orders seem difficult, just substitute kreme and wait for the compliments to the chef to roll in, not just because of the kremey deliciousness, but also because of your daring creativity.

most great chefs are daring, and not quite a few started out in your shoes.

pic related: these are good to.