[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 379 KB, 1024x768, united airlines dinna.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4158469 No.4158469 [Reply] [Original]

Ever have a meal in first class on an airplane?

I haven't. But I'm fascinated by the idea.

>> No.4158477

never even ridden first class :(

>> No.4158482

It's really not much better, it's semi edible reheated shit that's served on a plate instead of a tray with free drinks.

ironically, I actually got cut off on an international flight (fucking bitch) so I went back into coach and bought a bunch of those little bottles and put them in my coke can.

>> No.4158496

I assume that the meals vary widely by airline.

>> No.4158501

>>4158482
jeeeeeeez i got cut off in vegas
three drinks an hour
like really?

>> No.4158503

>>4158496

yeah, they do...it's usually some ethnic or regional dish from where ever the plane is departing from. The restock the first class meals at each stop but the shit they serve in coach could have come from anywhere.

>> No.4158509

>>4158501
Three drinks an hour sounds pretty high unless you're aiming to get utterly blitzed.
And why the fuck would an airline want to allow their customers to get that drunk?

>> No.4158519
File: 27 KB, 325x214, themoreyouknow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Interesting fact: the reason why airline food is considered tasteless isn't because it's shitty, it's because at 35,000 feet the cabin pressure causes about 10% of your taste buds to loose functionality. Many dishes served on planes are so heavily spiced that if you were to prepare and eat them on the ground, you'd throw up, and yet in the air they still can't stop getting complaints from people that they lack flavor.

>> No.4158520

>>4158501

I know right; you grab on stardust's ass and make a bj joke, and everyone's like, "that it, no more for you"

>> No.4158526

>>4158519
interesting

>> No.4158527

>>4158509

I afraid of flying, so I need to get drunk or I'll be that guy that freaks out everyone with plane crash stories and...."did you feel that"...."I-I think we're losing altitude"

>> No.4158540

>>4158509
i was joking at that du's expense
i had a bit of a drinking habit at the time, didn't become full blown physiological tho and i've kept myself under control since then.

>> No.4158551

The only thing I had to eat on an airplane was peanuts.

>> No.4158555

>>4158519
Is that why my coke goes flat in minutes AND all I taste is carbonation?

>> No.4158565

>>4158551
US Airways doesn't even offer snacks anymore.
It sucks.

>> No.4158577

>>4158527
That's just f'ing stupid.

>> No.4158582

>>4158577
o ur a cheeky cunt arnt u

>> No.4158586

>>4158501
Were you being obnoxiously drunk? I've had 6 drinks on a 2 1/2 hour flight and no one said anything.

>> No.4158590

>>4158565
Heh, cheap-ass bastards.

>> No.4158594

I got bumped to business class on an international flight and they served Filet Mignon, wine, and something else (I forget exactly, but of course you could also choose between a few things). It was a hell of a lot better than what they served in coach.

>> No.4158609
File: 1.03 MB, 312x176, 1357465205466.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's not especially good, and I've flown first/business class on a lot of different on non-US airlines, though better, of course, than coach.

Reminds me of a recent time I was flying, getting sleepy from copious gin and vodka tonics, and the waiter/steward was practically militant about serving us. In stark contrast to >>4158482
(which I've never experienced, from my experience they want to get you heavy drinks so you don't order as much) this guy would get you a new drink when you were only like halfway done with your cocktail, and was so forceful about it.

A guy next to me asked something about the menu. The guy was well-dressed and probably worldly, and it was an innocent question (nothing pretentious) and the steward looked down his nose at him and stated, in an exceedingly condescending tone,

>it's called fine dining, sir

And I had to restrain myself from bursting out in laughter.

mfw

>> No.4158621

>>4158609
>fine dining
>on an Aeroplane
that's rich

>> No.4158622

>>4158519

Being an airline chef is probably the crappiest cooking job on earth - no matter how hard you try anything you make is going to come out shitty, so you can't even try and make it tasty, your goal is to simply make it as non-shitty as possible. Combine that with the fact that you need to make shit that can be prepared beforehand and reheated on the plane, and the fact that you have no way to actually taste your creations until you get on a plane, which probably isn't going to happen every day.

>> No.4158640

>>4158622

From what I understand there are chefs in charge of the food for the airline, and then it is prepared to their specifications?

>> No.4158650

>>4158640
Now they're all getting celebrity chefs to put their names on the menus, just like everything else.

The food seems to have stuff in it that minimizes gas and constipates you. Its amazing how few people go to the bathroom during 14 hour flights with 2 meals served.

>> No.4158655

Done that and enjoyed it very much. The legroom thing and not having to rub elbows with some fuckface is very nice, but the food really is the best part.

Ya its not the best food you can get. Its usually fast-casual-tier but often with an interesting selection of brands that you have probably never tried (you won't see any kraft or velveeta making an appearance). Especially true with international. All ingredients/meals are sourced/cooked at the location you are flying from, so you will get food from two (or more) countries in the process.

On a long flight I recommend you don't just start gobbling it all down like a pig. Pace yourself. Last flight I took was 9 hours, and from the moment I sat down they started in with the wine and beer serving. Then comes the snacks/appetizers. Then the main course. Then seconds if you want it, then after dinner drinks, then desert. Then desert wine or port or coffee. They literally keep you entertained for the first 90 minutes by shoveling food down your gullet. Then comes the hot towels, then they start in with the snack foods and cheese.

There's a long enough lul that you can catch a movie and munchies time with cheese, crackers, candy, coffee, fruit etc to munch on while you watch moar tv. Then nap time. Then I don't remember if there was one more snack time after that (on the day flight I had a reindeer sammich with spicey mustard), but on overnight flights usually they shut off the lights for a few hours.
Ah then wakey wakey for hot towels and coffee, then breakfast is served.

They cap it all off by giving you some chocolates, a box lunch and a selection of bottled drinks to take with you.

They also usually what they call the galley in the back. They keep various sandwiches, cookies, crackers, candy, and drinks that you can grab anytime, and you can always ask the attendants to grab any of the stuff that was offered on the flight (I ask for salad and bread when they start handing out crackers)

>> No.4158686

Flew British airways Business class once due to an upgrade. Had some sort of beef with potatoes and caremalised onions I think. Was a sight better than the slops they serve to the plebs in economy class but only slightly. Think it came on a plate with cutlery. The only remarkable thing was the air hostesses who plied me with a seemingly endless supply of wine and chocolate much to everyone else's chagrin. I'm not sure why they chose me but I wasn't complaining that's for sure.

>> No.4158691

>>4158655
Dear lord, I wish I had the money and need to fly on airplanes All Day Erry Day ;_;

I should become a flight attendant

>> No.4158696

>>4158655
Ran out of space.... 2/2

> Last flight I took was 9 hours, and from the moment I sat down they started in with the wine and beer serving.

This is really nice because you board first and are assured that all your luggage not only fits but it isn't being squished. Then all the fathand cheap bastards in coach start boarding, which takes forever because to save $20 they insist on lugging steamer trunks full of shit onto the plane and spend 1/2hr trying to stuff it in the overhead and afterwards shoehorn their big asses into a chair with the same area as a bicycle seat.

>> No.4158712

>>4158655
>They cap it all off by giving you some chocolates, a box lunch and a selection of bottled drinks to take with you.

Th-they've never given me any of those things. Wtf.

>> No.4158716
File: 30 KB, 387x264, 6587.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4158696
>mfw the people bringing a fucking chest onto Carry-On are forced to exit the plane and check in their luggage, thus holding the plane for another 30-45 minutes

>> No.4158748

Being a pleb economy class rider, these sound like the best fucking plane rides ever.
It'd be stupid for me to spend the money for the upgrade though, traveling for long distances on your own dime several times a year drains on the grad school's wallet.

>> No.4158750

>>4158748
*student, not school.
My bad

>> No.4158755

>>4158691
Its something you should try to do if you get a chance. You can get creative and get it for cheap sometimes. If its not a busy flight, you can check in early and if there are empty seats, upgrade you coach ticket to business (or 1st depending on what they call it). They never fly an empty business seat. If it does sell, they will offer it to their rewards card people until sells, or just give it away. I pulled that off once, it cost me an extra $200 to go from chicago to sweden and back (that's a longass flight for a fact).

$100 each way to not get blood clots and smell other peoples' farts? That aint no decision at all. Its usuall about $250-300 (or more depending on how busy the flight will be) if you buy early.

Ah and I recommend SAS if they have a route. They have these nifty pod-looking seats that stretch out into a bed. Always get an aisle seat in the center, that way the person next to you doesn't make you roll your seat back up when they get up.

Lastly, with business tickets you get access to the airport lounge. Its a lot like the airplane, except its either buffet or cafeteria-style. Its mostly sammiches and breakfast foods, but always excellent quality. Best of all, they have these toilets with private stalls with a full length door. And someone actually cleans up, and they're not crowded so they don't reek. That really hits the spot sometimes.

>> No.4158771

>>4158582
i swer 2 cunt m8 ill sock u

>> No.4158778

>>4158755
Isn't a Chicago to Sweden flight only 8 hours?

Flying to Norway from Atlanta is a little worse, but my worse flying experience ever was going to Mumbai. Fuck that was a long flight

>> No.4158780

>Be heading back from the desert in uniform
>Get bumped up to first class for no charge

Good times, food was alright, varied between airline and meal being served.

>> No.4158783

>>4158780
Thank you for serving our country. :)

>> No.4158786
File: 53 KB, 243x237, dc-md-va-map-Crop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anybody live in the DMV area? Any good restaurants you would recommend?

>> No.4158790

>>4158783
Don't be silly, he's one of those desert lawyers

>> No.4158795

>>4158778
Elaborate

>> No.4158797

>>4158771
o no u dint y dont u cum ovr here n say dat 2 my face you lil twat ill fuk u so hard ur mum will orgasm

>> No.4158804

>>4158778
> Isn't a Chicago to Sweden flight only 8 hours?

Nah its longer. I've done Newark to Sweden and it was almost 8 with a tailwind. At least another 1.5-2 to cover the distance from Newark to Chicago.

>>4158780
> >Be heading back from the desert in uniform
> Get bumped up to first class for no charge

Ya bro thanks for your service. I always make it a point to send anonymous drinks to people I see in uniform. That's where I'd rather see those seats going to.

>> No.4158807

>>4158795
It was almost 24 hours with the layovers.
No real interesting stories, but for someone who has problems sleeping on planes I was ready to drop as soon as I got to the hotel.

>> No.4158812

>>4158783
>>4158804

Appreciate your support. I'm out now and going to Uni for physical therapy.

>> No.4158814

>>4158786
If you're ever in New Jersey and by Cape May/Wildwood (AKA The Jersey Shore), you absolutely NEED to go to the Boardwalk. Greatest beach experience ever. They have like 3 permanent Rolercoaster parks and the best, most greasy comfort food ever.

I suggest getting any 'ol funnel cake, and going to Max's Pizza. Dear lord it makes me jizz just thinking about it.

If you're in New York, there is this one high-end extremely fancy Italian restaurant that faces one of the rivers (I'm fairly sure it's the Humboldt, but don't quote me on it) and they have Veal that's to die for. The interior is also very pretty. Classic Italiano-Romano esque.

>> No.4158821

>>4158814
>Humboldt
*Hudson
fuck me I'm drunk

>> No.4158825

>>4158814
I meant to make a new thread, but thanks for the suggestions anyways.

>> No.4158857

>>4158519
I have trouble believing this.

>> No.4158862

>>4158857
Anon is right.

>Even before a plane takes off, the atmosphere inside the cabin dries out the nose. As the plane ascends, the change in air pressure numbs about a third of the taste buds. And as the plane reaches a cruising altitude of 35,000 feet, cabin humidity levels are kept low by design, to reduce the risk of fuselage corrosion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/business/airlines-studying-the-science-of-better-in-flight-meals.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

>> No.4158865

>>4158862
>please log in
ahh well, I believe you. can't they just make the food in a plane? meh, maybe in the future.

>> No.4158871

>>4158712
Its highly dependent on length of flight. When I get a business and there is a connecting flight, its usually on a smaller plane, which means smaller seats and less perks. You still get to walk past all the lines, board first, no one sitting around you if its not busy, and you sit up front so you're first-served and first off (I missed a connection and spent the night in fucking detroit once because I got stuck in the back and the line to leave the plane took 20 minutes). The food though is usually what they are feeding everyone else. I absolutely wouldn't pay extra for a 2 or 3 hour domestic flight, but it can be handy if you have a weirdass schedule, tight connections, or like when going to eastern EU the plane gets you there right about 6:00, then you hit the Yotel (those are cool), shit shave and shower, then have to be somewhere 2hrs away for a meeting... Every minute is specious and the little things like leaving the plane first, you baggage loads last so its first out of the chute at baggage, and priority handling usually means they don't lose it... That can make the difference between having to fly the day before just to be on time. Very worthwhile if it saves you a day of time, a hotel, and a few meals in EU which will easily cost more than upgraded single ticket.

Tbc

>> No.4158877

>>4158865
>log in

What. o.o

Do you live in the US? I don't have a subscription/account but I can see the article just fine.

>> No.4158878

>>4158865
>can't they just make the food in a plane
it would be too expensive and the aircraft would have to grow in size to accomodate, making it require more powerful engines and a bigger runway and shit

one can dream of flying yachts, though

>> No.4158902

One time when I flew first class (Boston to Oregon), they had a spiced chicken breast with stuffed with some kind of cheese and spinach, along with roasted squash and some rice and a piece of chocolate cake for dessert. Pretty good, butit really wasn't my type of meal.

Another time (same airline & route) it was braised short ribs with green beans and mashed potatoes. More my speed... Pretty darn good. I don't remember what dessert was, so it must not have been good.

Another time on the same airline, flying in the morning (this time from Portland to Boston), it was a tomato and spinach fritatta (sp?). I had already eaten breakfast before I left, so I passed and just asked for some OJ.

First class food is OK... Maybe on the same tier of what you'd get at a moderately OK wedding buffet. But nothing to write home about. I like first class mostly for the leg (and butt) room, and getting on and off the plane first.

>> No.4158909

>>4158814

Protip: require a decent ticket in your employment contract if you ever get a job requiring long flights. Its annoying and painful to have to piss away all the downtime involved in flying (you don't get paid for that), and a lot of the time they fly you around for silly reasons. I once had to leave prego wife and my house at 2am, 1hr to the airport so that I could get there 3hrs early for security check and boarding, 7h flight, had to figure out a train schedule in a language I don't read, stand in line for 45 min to cash advance euros because the goddamn train ticket vending machine won't take cards with a security chip. Ride for 1hr, no time to eat, then attend a 30min meeting, all because the guy I'm meeting with is and old bastard and he is "old school and likes to meet face to face". Whole time my toes and thighs feel like they're on fire because I walked 2 miles in the snow in loafers (dat damnpass cobblestone in late January).

Once I got wise, I actually enjoy the trips. Bring your assistant along with you to take minutes, or simply for the "team building" experience (no diddling her, it just fucking blows traveling alone. Kreeps me out actually and don't risk a sweet job over some pussy). Take crotchety old bastard out to eat on your dime which means he will pick a *nice* place. Yuck it up and get schnockered, all the while alternating between assistant's heartstring tugging soliloquies and your subliminal tough sell.

Tl;dr: small adjustment in travel budget can make all the difference in depression and makin sweet memories, (for free too). And it feels like a reboot for your brain if you do it right.

>> No.4158944

>>4158902
Me again. I tried out that newfangled "interwebs" they are rolling out lately. Not bad. Kind of overkill for a short flight, but image you have a 4chan thread in real-time while flying 10 hours from one exotic place to the other. You will look like a total douche snapping pictures, so please get a rear corner seat and drape a blanket over your head to hide the flash. And please, business casual dress minimum and wear some fucking socks. No flippy floppies. SAS gives you a little gift box when you get on. Last one I had contained one of those eye shade things, some handi-wipes, and some fluffy "flight socks". My socks were adequate, but I gathered from looking around chicks wearing hose might dig them as, even tho its business class, its still minus 45F outside and quite drafty.

One other cool thing that may perhaps be my fav, the bathrooms are bigger. No need to elaborate but God help you if you ever got sick or whatever and needed to spend quality time in the coach toilets. 160 people sharing a couple toilets, space is so small you have to step outside just to change your mind? Up front they have cloth towels, handi-wipes, a *window* (no shit, its a perk), and check this... A bouquet of flowers on the back of the toilet.

Just dawned on me... SAS is pretty sweet. Don't always get that attention to detail with Continental or Delta, and I don't fly United or Southwest so no idea about them.

And...

> Dem Scandanavian attendents...
> All of my rwarrrr

I've seen them get just as irritated as any other attendant, but they never get pissy with you about it.

>> No.4158962

>>4158944
>In-flight Internet
>$6 for 30 minutes
pffftthahahaha

>> No.4158991

>>4158555
I have no idea, but I've always felt the exactly same way about that!

>> No.4159002

>>4158944
Last one, almost dinner time and my drain is bamaged from high fever last 6 days with this goddamn flu.

No matter what flight you take, when booking your ticket, you *must* go to seatguru.com and check out the layout of the plane. Because of the shape of the plane, structural supports, and pure airline greed, some seats are narrower, have less leg room, do not recline (!), have no line of site to the tv, no power plug under seat, or are close to the attendant area and shitter so will be stanky and noisy. They color code all that and you can quickly see at a glance what sucks.

Pro tip: exit row. Plenty of leg room because its an emergency aisle, plus you are first off in case of emergency.

>> No.4159021

Yes, several. They were decent, but still not what I'd term fine dining. Sort of upscale bistro type stuff, and I did have some nice champagne and cheese to accompany it.

>> No.4159028

>>4158590
>A difference of four or five dollars on Priceline/Travelocity is all it takes to push a customer to another airline
>BOY THOSE GUYS SURE ARE CHEAP

>> No.4159107

> Coke goes flat
Unless on a long flight at high altitude I skip the open containers. Get 20oz in the airport and bring that. If you must soda, ask them "can I have that in the can". Its easy to contain, you can stuff it in the magazine pouch. Order coffee, especially during daytime, you r dumb (and burnt).

> Served peanuts
If you don't mind the legroom, you can get a very similar experience to first class at a fraction of the cost by serving yourself in coach.

> Well-cushioned laptop bag
> Padding keeps the heat in
> Small bubble wrap helps and won't be confiscated
> Fill that mofo with burritos, sammiches, some various gourmet snack shit. Splurge a bit, you're still saving money
> Buy some booze at the duty-free. They seal it up so you don't drank that at the airport and miss your flight and/or the opportunity to get gouged by half-ass versions of bars charging double for dranks just because they know you cant take your own shit through security (I once ate half of a €11 tuna sandwich, other half I drop kicked across the parking lot, it was inedible).

I've tried it a few times, but I usually get through a sandwich or two them full and end up hauling around decaying food. Its all about the killin time and I can barely sleep with my lights out, in my own bed, let alone an airplane seat. I just see it as food entertainment.

>> No.4159137

I don't really know how to start this post off, so it may be a bit rambling.

I am the "Good Samwicharitan" of airplanes. I usually dedicate one of my carry-on bags to a medium sized insulated lunch bag. I make around 4-5 sandwiches before I leave for the airport, using high quality cuts and home-made condiments, such as Pesto with Basil and Garlic from my garden, fresh bread, etc. I also pack individual bags of bite-size dried fruits (picked and dried at home, of course) and some things more indulgent, such as cookies and Rice Krispies bars.

Once at the airport, I usually go to the Duty-Free shops and by 2 or 3 bottles of Soda, and patiently wait for boarding to begin.

once in flight, I make small talk with people immediately surrounding me and offer them the food. Most people seem awkward at first, and some downright rude and refusing it, but once they try it, it's like the entire mood changes. It turns into a near-family like setting, with the people opening up. It's amazing the kind of change one person, and a good sandwich, can make to a mood.

>> No.4159157

>>4158962
> >In-flight Internet
>$6 for 30 minutes
> pffftthahahaha

Last I paid was $10 for a 4hr flight. I would never pay for a call from a sat phone though, not cheap or interesting enough for my taste. But part of my job includes being expected to keep up with IT hardware and connectivity services (did I mention I have 3 droid phones 2 blackberrys, 1 m$ and a full rack of apple shit? I support them and need "samples" so I can walk people through menus remotely. I know, there are simulators, but I hope they never figure that out, I like my gadgets, and don't even get me started on my laptops and screens).

Enough of that, for anons who didn't apply at BK last week only to be turned down, if you do IT support, the in-flight net has finally come of age if you have travelers with budgets. $10 is chump change.

>> No.4159180

>>4159137
Nice. They always make me throw away any homemade foods, or maybe I just imagined that. Or maybe I'm confusing food with liquids.

That makes this a horse of a difference color wearing shoes that are on the wrong foot.

I would much rather ramble on with my neighbor folk but I never had food to offer. I do remember a few years ago I met with a new colleague that I'd never talked to. We booked the same flight so we could chat and he brought along some sammiches from the airport. That hit the spot. Was supposed to be 45 minute flight but ended up being 2.5hr because they were having trouble getting a cargo to close. Sammiches saved the day.

>> No.4159196
File: 53 KB, 503x602, 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4159180
It's Liquids you're thinking of.

>> No.4159225
File: 54 KB, 500x395, rerere.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4159137
you're the bloody harmonica man!!!

>> No.4159247

I had it once, plane was overbooked and for the first and only time in my life, I won getting bumped up.

I liked it, because normally I can't eat anything on a plane without getting incredibly nauseous. I imagine it depends on what airline you have, but they gave me a shitload of food.

I remember finishing the appetizer course, and when the guy came back with a second plate I was extremely confused. And also a dessert plate. And free food in the galley.

It was a nice flight.

>> No.4159301

I have. I used to fly a lot as a kid and if there were open seats in business class, they'd let me sit up there.

There were two options for meals... salmon and something else (my gut is telling me it was chicken, but I can't remember).

I got the salmon.

It was okay. Better quality than the econo class food, but not all that great.

Biggest difference was probably that it was served on a plate.

>> No.4159308

Only on US carriers. It's basically like what you'd get in a low tier business hotel. Not gag inducing, but not something to get excited over unless you're a typical mug brownie eating co/ck/ who thinks Trader Joe's is good and Two Bros is pizza.

>> No.4159365
File: 239 KB, 800x536, 240.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been in first class a few times. The food is significantly better than what is served in the lower classes, but isn't necessarily good. When cold dishes and salads and such are served, it's not bad.

Pics, because they are relevant. Lufthansa first class meal.

Pictured is a scallop wrapped in carrot, vegetable rolls with a tangy barbecue-y sauce.

>> No.4159368
File: 242 KB, 800x536, 241.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4159365

Followed by cream of mushroom soup. The soup was thick and kind of bland, didn't really taste of mushrooms.

The scallop was a little mushy but the vegetable rolls were alright, the sauce was nice, all things considered.

>> No.4159374
File: 308 KB, 800x536, 242.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4159368

Salad with "creamy garlic dressing" or something to that effect. Tasted like ranch with a lot of garlic. Better than the little cup of salad you get in economy.

>> No.4159383

>>4159365
>>4159368
>>4159374
wat

>> No.4159386
File: 302 KB, 800x536, 243.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4159374

Fried...cod? Steamed vegetables, rice, and a little cup of something I can't remember or really identify. You can see the fish isn't anything resembling crispy, but it wasn't overcooked. Much.

The little cup of salsa, for lack of a better word, was very sour from some sort of vinegar. Combined with the fish, it was tolerable.

I passed on dessert, since it was something with a lot of chocolate (and chocolate can mess with my bowels in a way I didn't want happening several miles into the air).

>> No.4159430 [DELETED] 

>>4158469

My god, what an upscale dining experience. It's like you're at a fancy diner or something.

>> No.4159433

My god, what an upscale dining experience. It's like you're at a fancy diner or something.

>> No.4159721

I've had some spectacular airline meals in first class, and some decidedly mediocre. (My sample size is about 7 trips in either first or international business class.)

American's got some great first class stuff, surprisingly. I recall having an awesome steak on board once. I never order the fish, thanks to the movie Airplane! though.

>> No.4159761
File: 341 KB, 800x597, 385IMG_1793.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4159721
>American's got some great first class stuff
lol no.

pic related. It's "Ravioli" from AA's first class.

>> No.4159765
File: 293 KB, 800x533, 7859IMG_0221.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4159761

aaand this is First Class on Emirates.

>> No.4159835

>>4159761
I don't know why, but I'm fucking laughing at the sight of a goddamn water goblet and that nasty-ass bowl of ravioli in the same picture.

>> No.4159866

>>4159002
Aren't you supposed to assist people if you're in the Exit Row?

>> No.4159868

>>4159866
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_row

>> No.4159896

>>4159137
>stranger offers food
>might be suspicious
>politely refuse
>???

>> No.4159903
File: 97 KB, 500x375, 1357374489107.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anyone here ever taken a flight from the US to Australia?
I'll be taking one soon and the flights are retarded long. I don't sleep well on planes and will be flying pleb economy. Is there anything i can do to make my flights more bearable other than drinking heavily/getting a sleeping pill prescription/crying a lot?

I don't fear flying but holy fuck I just want to get there

>> No.4159911

>>4158712
You never gotten chocolates at the end of your flight?

>> No.4159917

>>4159903
music/audiobooks
movies
books
games

>> No.4159934
File: 648 KB, 1280x1686, B3L5Q.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4158527
Most movies shown on planes censor any scenes of plane crashes or any kind of problems on an aircraft to avoid giving people ideas. Sometimes it's only minor changes like in Bee Movie, they cut out a lot of the stuff with the plane. I saw Fight Club on a flight to London, it was about 30 minutes shorter.

>> No.4159937

>>4159903
Yo. Taken 2 flights from the US to Aus when I was immigrating to Australia. If you're flying Quantas and American airlines I can guarantee there will be in flight movies available, most of them now in cinema. Take your own head phones so you can plug them into the screen or seat. Your MP3 will prolly run out of batteries, FYI. Take a paperback book. Drink stuff so you don't have a stroke and be nice to the person sitting next to you because you'll prolly have to pee alot.

>> No.4159938

>>4159903
Most flights out of Australia will offer chicken or lamb dishes. Partly because fish is considered a higher risk for food poisoning and most airlines working in and around Australia have to deal with either a large number of Muslim or Hindu passengers so pork and beef are out

>> No.4159942

>>4159937
On most aircraft that have personal TVs (screen in the seat in front of you, which you control) there's a usb port which you can use to charge up any devices that you have a charger for.

You can ask staff for a charger if you didn't bring on in your carry on luggage, but it varies between airlines. On an Emirates I was able to request a micro USB charger and a Ipod charger. On an air New Zealand flight they didn't have any for passenger use.

>> No.4159949

>>4159761
i went first class on a red eye flight from vegas to jersey once. got served breakfast while coach didn't get shit.
all we got was cereal, a bagel, some fruit, and maybe a couple other things. nothing special what so ever.

>> No.4159952

>>4159937
you immigrated? Did you get a job over there or what was your process?

I'm trying to do the same soon but I'm not sure what route I want to take. Thank you for all of the replies by the way, everyone!

>> No.4159966

>>4159952
Actually I met my husband on and online game and we went through a company called Easy Migrate. I've never met any other Americans that are Australian residents since I've moved here, that's 3 years now, so I couldn't say if you can do the job thing successfully or not, though I've met alot from the UK who have. I think the laws for common wealth countries are different than the US laws though.

Immigration is a pain in the fucking ass, a shit ton of money and a shit ton of paper work.

>> No.4159983

>>4159966
ARE YOU ME

I actually screamed over skype to the Australian dude I'm dating that I met....in WoW. I guess I'll have to look into it, thanks!

Do Australian people even like Americans? We kinda suck and sound retarded

>> No.4160005

>>4159983
You know I think it depends where you go. Australians sort of keep to each other and I've met a few who don't like anyone different to them. Sometimes I definitely feel like an outsider but you just have to learn to ignore it and force yourself into their little hearts. I think most countries you'd go to would be a bit like that though. Moving to a different country has definitely opened my eyes to a lot of things though, like tim tams :)

(We met on Silkroad online then played WoW xD)

And don't worry, Aussies have their own brand of retarded :o!

>> No.4160016
File: 22 KB, 333x333, 1351559623767.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4160005
You are officially my favorite person on the internet right now.

This really makes me excited! It's too bad flights there are so gd expensive, holy mother of fudge
>mfw ticket prices

>> No.4160019

>>4160016
True dat yo.

My husband had to rack up the credit card debit to get me over here. Pimpin' ain't easy.

Really must go to sleep now. I really do wish you all the best.

>> No.4160021

>>4159157
what an ass hole.

>> No.4160041

>>4159835
The ravioli is messy-looking but it could very well be delicious.

All in all, though, if I'm having ravioli I would prefer it toasted, with sauce on the side.

>> No.4160051

How does normal airplane food work? Are they prepackaged and simply reheated during food services?

>> No.4160093

>that feel when you fly all the time for your work and fly first/business class all the time.
>that feel when I also get paid for travel days, so I'm literally being paid to fly first class

>> No.4160095

>>4160093
>get paid for travel days

Fuck you.

>> No.4160112

>>4159157
In the case of most phones, emulators aren't the same. I think you're safe.

>> No.4160122

>>4160051
the pilot is also a chef

>> No.4160130

>>4158482
It was an international flight and you didn't get free alcohol in coach? Were you underage or something?

>> No.4160132

>>4160130
>I haven't flown on an airplane since 1997

Or you're flying on Asian or European airlines exclusively.

>> No.4160137

>>4158565
I thought it had something to do with some stupid ass old lady who sued some airline company because the peanut bag didn't state that you may get them stuck in the stomach

>> No.4160142

some dumb bitch stewardess dump a tray of hot food on my lap

got a ton of free drinks out it though

and being 15 at the time helped too

>> No.4160150

>>4160132
European. But he's saying it was international and that the 1st class had free booze. So it seems odd.
Only flown coach on American flights, God they're awful. Continually gone downhill.

>> No.4160153

>>4160150

The american legacies have basically taken two big dumps:

1. After deregulation
2. After the turn of the millennium

But KLM is shit too so it's not like Murrika has a monopoly on shitty dinosaurs.

>> No.4160170

It's just different ingredients and different dishes. It's cooked the same way, stored the same way. Only difference is that some steward plates it for you.

>> No.4160173

>>4160153
I felt KLM was fine. But for some reason their seats are smaller on the international (Europe-America, but you know what I mean) planes than on the ones only hopping around Europe. Also the staff sucks ass on the flights back from the US. On the way there they were really nice and helpful, but on the way back they spilled a massive amount of cognac on me (I wasn't even drinking the shit), elbowed me in the back of the head, and then acted like total asses when the person I was traveling with got sick. (He had the flu apparently) Because they thought that he had had too much to drink. Too much being three glasses of red and a cognac with his coffee. Over a 9½hr flight. So fuck them.
SAS is the best in terms of food and service and comfort, not to mention that they're Always on time. But they don't have free booze outside of mealtimes and they give waaay too much food.

>> No.4160178

>>4160173

I only took KLM SIN to DPS. The meals were barely edible, and I've flown on some pretty disreputable third world airlines. The flight attendants were decent enough.

>> No.4160179

>>4159903
>Is there anything i can do to make my flights more bearable other than drinking heavily/getting a sleeping pill prescription/crying a lot?

Yeah, stop over at Hawaii, Japan, China, really anywhere so you don't have a 20+ hour plane trip.

>> No.4160186

>>4160178
The food I've had is fine, even good sometimes. But maybe you're not used to European food or they were serving non-European food?
Maybe I'm just biased because they had my favourite cheese and pumpernickel bread.

>> No.4160199
File: 14 KB, 159x208, 126067102795.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I flew first class from Japan to California on JAL, I was served sushi for late dinner/snack, egg noodles and beef for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch.

>> No.4160202

>>4160186

They were serving some hideous attempt at Indonesian food.

>> No.4160253

>>4160199
I had first class sushi on an airplane once. Threw up for five hours straight after I had some. Do not recommend the experience to anyone.

>> No.4160266

>>4160253
Mine was awesome. Highly recommended on JAL.

>> No.4160268
File: 270 KB, 1024x768, 1234.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sushi on JAL

>> No.4160280

>>4158786
Where are you in the DMV Area?

>> No.4160282

>>4160268
>no wasabi
Confident in their quality of fish for an airliner, eh?

>> No.4160322

>>4160282
I've never had real wasabi, much different from horseradish paste sold as wasabi?