[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 32 KB, 540x300, raw_chicken_breasts[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4154328 No.4154328 [Reply] [Original]

So /ck/.... I have some Chicken breasts, some Pork chops, and some Cubed steak. What should I cook today?

I've had alot of Chicken lately but I'm open to good ideas. I've had alfredo, a teriyaki type chicken, some grilled lemon honey rosemary chicken, and some chicken wings in the past week.

As for The Pork chops and cubed steak? The only thing I really know to do with them is fry them.

Any ideas for dinner /ck/?

>> No.4154330

>cubed steak
Do you mean one of those mechanically tenderised steaks or cubes of beef? Which?

>> No.4154332

>>4154330
Mechanically tenderized steak. Sorry for the confusion.

>> No.4154341

I'm also thinking about going and buying a pork but and putting it in a crock pot with some beer and some bbq sauce.

But I'm not sure it would be done in only 7 hours nor am I sure if that's how it's supposed to be cooked for pulled pork.

>> No.4154344
File: 11 KB, 445x286, porkshoulderroast[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4154341
Pic related.

>> No.4154361

>>4154332
Salsbury-steak type thing. Use dried shiitake.
Make a dark roux; set aside to cool.
Get shiitake.
Put into a press pot.
Add boiling water to just barely cover mushrooms.
Press plunger to top of water.
Allow to sit until cool in order to rehydrate mushrooms.
Press mushrooms completely.
Drain off broth and set aside.
Remove stems from mushrooms and discard.
Slice or chop caps (depending on whether you like the gravy chunky or not).
Flour cubed steak(s).
Pan cook in butter; remove from the pan.
Add chopped or thinly sliced onion (and more butter, if necessary).
Salt generously.
Cook until softened and browned.
>add a bit of water from time to time to facilitate even cooking.
Add mushroom.
Cook until heated through.
Measure mushroom broth and add to pan.
Add 1½tbsp of dark roux for each cup of mushroom broth.
>or 2tbsp/30ml for each 250ml of broth.
Whisk until smooth.
Salt to taste.
Re-add cubed steak(s) and re-heat until heated through.
Serve with mash, greens, beans, and/or sautéed matchsticks of carrot/parsnip/kohlrabi/etc.

>> No.4154371

>>4154361

ladies and gentlemen, we have a cook.

>> No.4154394

>>4154361
Wow, this sounds delicious. don't have any dried Shiitake sitting around... so I might replace that with portabella but should be delicious regardless.

>> No.4154433

>>4154394
I only recommended dried shiitake because you likely live in the US and, as such, other varieties of dried mushrooms are less common (such as porcini/cèpes/pennybuns, gallinacci/chanterelles and hen-on-the-woods). Dried mushrooms are essential in making a mushroom broth. Making one from fresh is near-to impossible and as I've never seen dried portobello, I assume the ones you have are fresh, yes?

>>4154371
Used to be professionally, actually. I cook daily for myself now and that's the extent of it. Work as a terp.

>> No.4154438

>>4154433
Yeah, I haven't even heard of any of those other mushrooms. Just a simple, pretty okay, southern style home chef here.

>> No.4154459

>>4154438
Get yourself to an Asian grocery. There's gotta be one somewhat near you. They're everywhere in the US. You can pick up shiitake for pretty cheap. Just get enough to make a cup or two of broth and you're golden.
I learnt that the US has a serious lack of variety as far as dried mushroom is concerned after I moved here. Love your country. Love your food. Even love your overly-friendly demeanors. But one thing I really don't care for is the lack of a great variety of mushrooms. It's a damned shame.
If you really don't wanna go the salisbury route, you can always make a simple chicken fried steak, seeing as you're southern.
Just flour, eggwash, bread and shallow fry your steaks and serve with a simple milk gravy (as you call it; we call it besciamella) or, better yet, sausage gravy. To make milk gravy, just make a white roux, cool the roux and add it to some simmering milk, 1½tbsp roux per cup of milk. Season with salt and white pepper (or black). To make sausage gravy, whip 2tbsp of butter with 3tbsp of flour and set aside then crumble cook 2 oz US of American breakfast sausage.
Add the butter-flour mixture to the pan with the sausage and cook on low heat until the flour-y smell is cooked out then add 2-3 cups of cold milk. Season with salt and pepper.
You can also do Carolina tomato gravy or tomato-and-sausage gravy: same basic idea, just swap milk out for some tomato juice or V8.

>> No.4154470

>>4154459
Ooh a country fried steak is always a great option. To make sausage milk gravy I just cook up sausage till done then add milk/flour and bit of corn starch then pepper to taste. Works well with biscuits.

Tomato gravy is another thing my family does (We're from NC) so I'm well familiar with that. But I'm looking to stay away from a tomato based thing.

Thanks for the ideas.