[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 71 KB, 800x600, Shrimp_gumbo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4122234 No.4122234 [Reply] [Original]

Hey Murrkan brothers and sisters

Ausfag here, am starting a small restaurant here, well, more of a cafe/byo shack thingo near the beach in a really popular tourist town

Got my lease, licensing requirements and a small commercial kitchen setup as well as a coffee machine and other odds and ends

Suppliers are sorted
The place will be eat in and take away (20 seats indoors, 10 outside)

I need some good American recipes, preferably 'local' type cuisine

e.g in Australia we've got meat pies, Lamingtons and vegemite on toast. Aussie food.

Hit me with your local American cuisine recipes, simpler and tastier the better

>inb4 business advice, just need some yummy ideas for American food

>> No.4122248

turducken
good luck

>> No.4122284

boudin, cornbread, chicken fried steak, crawfish, cracklins, ham hocks, fried okra, fried mushrooms, burgers, breadbowl soups, philly cheese steaks, sausage pepper and onion sandwiches, milk shakes, funnel cake, steak, etc.

i could go on forever.

>> No.4122291

You're by the beach? Boardwalk fries! The mid-Atlantic treat. Thick cut potato fries fried and served with sea salt and vinegar.

>> No.4122295
File: 148 KB, 500x313, boardwalk fries.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4122291

>> No.4122298

>>4122295
ohhhhhhhh how I miss those

>> No.4122324
File: 1.48 MB, 2048x1536, beach-10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4122284
>>4122291

thank you thank you

the place is gunna be called dee's if you want to google it later in the year and is going to be in Byron Bay (March)

Also if you're ever in Byron Bay (East coast Aus) come in, mention the chan and I'll look after you!

>pic related

>> No.4122329

Can't go wrong with a solid burger and fries. BBQ and Tex-Mex would be good options too. You can easily arrange the ingredients into a variety of dishes.

>> No.4122336

>>4122329

cool thanks brother

>> No.4122341

i just came from /fit

Where are all the insults?

>> No.4122344

A good grilled cheese is a must.

Thick slice of bread, all buttery with a little salt and pepper on the outside, nice mix of cheddar and provolone in the middle. Maybe some ham too. Served with a side of fries

>> No.4122355

I'd plan a menu by region, since murrka has so many different kinds of foods depending on which area you're focusing on.

I'm only familiar with the southeast, so if I were making a menu featuring foods from my region I'd include hushpuppies, cole slaw, sweet tea and boiled peanuts.

>> No.4122373
File: 722 KB, 245x176, ohhhh my god.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's not really compatible with the beach setting, but if you can get some little takeaway bowls with lids I'd suggest doing brunswick stew.

>mfw the thought of a place having takeout brunswick stew

>> No.4122374

>>4122344
>>4122355

sweet thanks guys

gotta go but thank you very much for all the suggestions

dee's Byron Bay

Ask for Denise!

>March 2013 opening

>> No.4122394

OP, American cuisine is varied as all hell depending on where you are. You have southern, Tex-Mex, Midwestern, all different kinds of BBQ, North-east with all that lobster and shit, so on and so forth.

Where are you?

>> No.4122429

>>4122394
By the beach she says, which is why I said boardwalk fries.

OP, good BBQ is good, too. Pulled pork and such.

>> No.4122440

So...you have to have a kids menu

Kids in America only eat about 5 different menu items that you charge loadsamonay for.

Mac n Cheese

Grilled Cheese Sandwich

Hot Dog

Cheeseburger

Spaghetti

Although in your case I guess you could add something like fish sticks, kids like bland food, dunno why. Also, kids love dat chocolate milk, so have that available.

>> No.4122446

OP, make some shrimp and grits. It's easy as fuck to make, and delicious.

I don't know if you'll be able to find grits so easily down there, though.

>> No.4122461

>>4122429
That could be anywhere though.

>> No.4122463

>>4122446
Dude. Like every major grocery store sells stone ground cornmeal.

>> No.4122466

>>4122461
Even in Minnes-wait a minute no. Assuming she meant the ocean of course.

>> No.4122485

>>4122466
You've still got 2 coasts and a gulf to guess from.

>> No.4122500

do the thick-cut fries in peanut oil, serve them with vinnegar and ketchup.

>> No.4122503

1/2 rack of peach bourbon bbq ribs with some shrimp and mashed potatoes or onion rings.

now im hungry.

>> No.4122517

New England Clam Chowder
Lobster Roll
Clam cakes/strips
Baked Beans
Uh...

>> No.4122528

kale.
or roasted root vegetables.
or steamed broccoli.

fried catfish yo. fuckin fried catfish. with cornbread.

>> No.4122541

"philly" cheesesteak sandwich, which is basically a steak and cheese sandwich with the option of sauteed onion and green peppers. If you want to get really american, use cheese whiz for your cheese.

Green chile is popular in the southwest, which is basically a pork and roasted green chile soup with tomatoes/onions/other peppers.

We make weird thin crust pizzas like barbeque chicken, or thai chicken, or spinach and artichokes.

Hamburgers obviously are everywhere but America gets the stereotype of loving them. If you really wanted to americanize it, put barbeque sauce and fried onion rings on one, or make one smothered in red chili (another popular american dish by itself.)

>> No.4122570

OP, I had a friend on steam before that was from aussie-land. He told me that noone in Australia serves curly fries. If that's so, you could make some major dosh with some seasoned curly fries covered in cheese a-la wingstop or somesuch.

>> No.4122579

"Chicago Style" hot dogs can be worth the trouble, and there are tons of recipes online. Basically you take a natural casing beef frankfurter in a seeded bun with yellow mustard on it, and layer toppings on it such as pickle sliced lengthwise, peppers, onions, celery salt, etc. Quick to assemble, definitely regional USA chow, and tasty.

>> No.4122585

Also, according to my Aussie friends, you can just add tons of cheese to anything to approximate the Amerifag diet

>> No.4122590
File: 140 KB, 1600x1200, grouperbiteswithremoulade.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4122528
Do fried catfish or red grouper bites, I fucking love getting those when I go to the beach.

>> No.4122720

I am dating an ausfag and I swear even though we both speak english there is such a language barrier between us with the retarded shit you guys have over there

I'd say tater tots (or what you weirdos call potato gems), curly fries as an above anon mention, or a fry variety with cheese + bacon a la fast food or diners have. You really can't go wrong with potatoes as you can get it at pretty much any restaurant here, even if it's not typical American food. A good direction to look at would be southern food or "comfort" food as the south has some pretty baller food.

I dunno man

>> No.4122777

>>4122570
your steambro has never been to Hog's Breath Cafe, a shitty steak chain here

the curly fries are the only thing worth going for

>> No.4122782
File: 12 KB, 144x144, 1341670339276.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4122720

>potato gems

Someone in Australia better explain this shit right now.

>> No.4122785

>>4122782

tater tots man.

seriously don't be such an uncultured pleb.

>> No.4122789

>>4122785

Please tell me you responded to my post accidentally, because that makes no sense to what I asked.

>> No.4122794

CORNDOGS!!!

Dipped and fried to order. Nothing better.

>> No.4122804

>>4122789

lol yep

disregard that comment, i suck dicks

>> No.4122824

Man vs. Food should be your homework bro.

Pick out the really yanky doodle dandy stuff that we don't have here at all.

Who knows man, people might really like it, you could eventually open up another store, and another, and soon you're a fucking millionaire with the next big popular chain here. It worked for "Australian food" (haha what a laugh) with the Outback Grill in the USA.

>> No.4122872

>>4122234
diners drive ins and dives, sums it up, can be really anything since we have people from everywhere here, which makes choosing dinner so damn hard

(also good eats and travel channel *** paradise)

>> No.4122880

Do a california burrito,

You are welcome.

>> No.4122896

>>4122872
i thought i was the only one who watched those
i'd cut off my leg for some of those dishes.

>> No.4122935
File: 35 KB, 363x400, drJ.jpg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ham and beans w/ cornbread, Patty Melt, Rocky Mtn. Oysters, Biscuits and sausage gravy, Jambalaya, po'boy, Hash (the food)...
Sounds sweet
Aunt and Uncle live up in Noosa Heads, hopefully I will have enough money this summer to return and see them
Best of luck!

>> No.4122978

Don't fucking forget the Nachos

>> No.4123006

>>4122440

This so much. theme parks have that shit down. Chicken Strips are also key.

>> No.4123077
File: 38 KB, 610x358, chicken_fingers_food_recipe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

CHICKEN FINGERS!

Good luck with your business, OP. If I'm ever in the area, I'll come check it out.

>> No.4123104

>>4122234
I'm from wales and http://www.foodnetwork.com/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/index.html this show is like a constant orgasm. Most of the foods served in the places shown are utterly amazing.

>> No.4123109

Why don't you use recipes from Australia. The whole point of American cuisine is to incorporate food from other cultures into an American lifestyle.

>> No.4123114

my only suggestion is this:

be willing to deep fry EVERYTHING. even if it seems undoable, deep fry it. You could even make an event out of it. Deep fried night! where everything is deep fryable.

Snickers bars? FRY IT!
Cheesecake? FRY IT!
Jelly beans? FRY IT!

Do it anon.... for us murrkans living in aus.

>> No.4123123

>>4123114

deep fried butter. use an entire stick, coat it with batter, dust with confectioner's sugar, then fry until crisp.

be careful when you bite it. the butter gushes out all over your face, so be ready to use your hands to wash it all into your eagerly awaiting mouth.

best thing ever.

>> No.4123127

Mainefag here, Our best local recipes are;

>New England Style Baked beans
Made with salt pork, molasses, maple syrup and jacobs cattle beans
>Steamed Brown Bread
>Smoked Pork Roast
>Lobster
>Crab Cakes
>Chowders
If you use tomatoes in it, your a cunt
>Bisques
>Cream of Tarter Rolls
>Blueberry Pie
>Molasses Bars

>> No.4123135

>>4122324
Farrrrk you're going to be in Byron Bay? Maybe if I'm there sometime I'll hit it up. Although I'm Aus, a good American thing that Aussies dig is tex mex food like a solid tex mex nachos.

>> No.4123138
File: 41 KB, 500x375, coneys.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

these
Coney Island Hot Dogs Detroit style
2 with everything

good hot dogs
chili is more of a roux
white onions
yellow salad mustard

>> No.4123140

>>4123135
Samefag here, just wanted to know if you were doing both lunch and dinner menus?
A lightly fried Calamari and rocket salad with a lime mayo dressing goes lovely for either, and a good Gnocchi dish is great for a dinner feed. Not that either of those are American hahaha

>> No.4123144

Buffalo Chicken
Steak Bomb

>> No.4123145
File: 136 KB, 640x640, CountryCaptain1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also this:
Country Captain (southern but not too southern U.S.)
Chicken thighs, curry, tomatoes, google it
Shit is so good

>> No.4123164

>>4122234
omg, all these mouth watering food. And yet i cant eat any of em until i recover :(:(

>> No.4123167

As an American now living in Australia, I've come to appreciate a lot of the different foods here. Believe it or not, aussie tucker is different from American tucker. But, not by much.

One thing though that my family LOVES whenever it's my turn to cook however is mexican food. I have had people hound me in woolworths asking me how to make mexican food (I'm originally from texas by the way). They've also told me, straight up, that they would go and eat at a mexican place every day if there was one around.

SO.... one suggestion I can make? Enchiliadas. My family LOVES them, and they're easy as pie to make. But nachos, burritos (especially breakfast burritos) and even tacos will go down well here.

But for goodness sake, make sure that they're actually well made and not done cheap! bad mexican food is worse than anything!

>> No.4123173

>>4122298
>>4123110

>> No.4123187

>>4122234
Mac & cheese.
A Pittsburgh sandwich.
Sourdough bread bowls with soup of your choice in them.
Corn dogs.

>> No.4123194
File: 20 KB, 400x266, zzzmeat-loaf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No one has mentioned American-style meatloaf??!!!

>> No.4123196

>>4122234

Mate, Gay as it sounds, in Western Australia, alot of places serve a 'scandinavian breakfast'...

invloving:
Salmon, red onion, and philidelphia cream cheese on toast, topped off with a poached egg and Hollandaise sauce.

Sounds fucken wierd man, but try it. Healthy and tasty as fuck.

Also I think you should make healthy european shit, rather than Amerfat shit. I know Byron has tried to turn "boutique", but bro, look at your main income, Locals. Sure have some fancy shit on your menu, but cater for your main customers. Even try a few Vegan dishes.

I have been to Eddy Veddars (Pearl Jam lead singer) place near Byron man, they love natural, locally sourced shit bro.

Also research "byron bay chilli".

Mate you have plent of options. Go local, Cook it with love, and chill.

Best of luck mate.

>> No.4123197

Oh definitely burgers of all sorts. Buffalo chicken is a big crowd pleaser in America, too.

Salad. Just regular old salads. Everyone loves those.

>> No.4123200

>>4123196
Oh also, sell weed through your cafe. You can get some really cheap.Hydro/Bush bud through Nimbin...

>> No.4123246
File: 240 KB, 1275x1920, 1354462793921.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

make this thing

>> No.4123256

I remember visiting australia once, long ago. Go into some restaurant and order a burger. Burger comes out, huge ass slice of pickled beets on it. Just didn't work for me.

>> No.4123295

Include fish and chips for the hell of it OP, being a tourist I want to eat some of that shit esp. since your place is next to the sea it'll seem "legit and fresh"

>> No.4123310

>>4123114
That sounds very much like Scottish cuisine!

>> No.4124711

bumping hoping OP comes back

hey OP are you for sure going to be open in march? is there a way we can contact you off of /ck/? I am an amerifag that may be visiting in march and would like to try your place if you are legit

if not god damn it

>> No.4124931

>>4122541
OP dont listen to this guy, If i got cheese whiz on a cheese steak, I'd murder them with a rake.
I've seen a bunch of people saying hot dogs, which is good, but think outside the box when it comes to toppings, crab meat and macaroni and cheese is a great combination.
also try wrapping the hotdogs in bacon

>> No.4124960

>>4122234
>cheese burger
>ribs
>BBQ
>chicken fried steak
>chicken fried chicken
>just go ahead and chicken fry everything

>> No.4124965

macaroni, cheese, and tomato juice

>boil pasta shells
>drain
>put back in pot
>add cheese cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
>cover and let cheese get melty
>add lots of tomato juice

family recipe. delicious stuff.

>> No.4124978

Can you have a spot for grilling? If so, that would be a good idea. Have like grilled chicken or ribs would be great. Southern, east coast, west coast style, all delicious. The best part is that the smell from it will attract customers.

>> No.4124991

BBQ (pulled pork. western NC style is best)
>burgers
>pizza
>fried shit

stuff from new orleans if you can pull it off but most places fuck it up it seems.

>> No.4125035

>>4123246

I FUCKING WANT THAT CAESAR SO BAD

>> No.4125084

Tap water.

>> No.4125095
File: 346 KB, 897x1200, bloodybest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4125035

>> No.4125110

>>4122234
If you are going to have a brick oven, I'd recommend pizza. Go for New York, Chicago, or St. Louis style for variety. No other local style is worth having.

>> No.4125117

conch fritters
conch chowder
fried clams and fries
reuben sandwich
grilled cheese and tomato soup
corned beef and pastrami sandwiches
tuna melt
chicken cesar salad
knish

You're restaurant isn't going to be next to a jewelry store is it? I just read this story about some thieves in Aussieland who wanted to rob a jewelry store but broke through the wall into the wrong place, a restaurant next door.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256722/Jewellery-raid-ends-KFC-thieves-dig-wrong-wall-shop-Queensland.html

good luck and cheers!

>> No.4125155

Corn bread and black beans.
It's a southern thing here in the US. Especially Texas.
My papa makes it all the time and it's delicious. Especially with bayleaf, garlic, onion.
He makes the cornbread in a cast iron skillet and Texas cornbread isn't very sweet or cake like some others that taste basically like a desert.

>> No.4125163

Pulled pork tacos. Soft shell of course. Cilantro. Onions. Freshly made salsa and guacamole.

Chicken mole.

Fajitas. Bellpepper, onion.

>> No.4125164

split pea soup
hushpuppies

>> No.4126229

>Cajun food
>quintessentially American
>actually delicious
>inb4 slaves and displaced french people

take a look at Paul Prudhomme's recipes, he's a god

>> No.4126240

American food:
Take any food item
Batter coat it
Deep-fry it
Serve with Ranch Dressing

>> No.4126301

Need some nachos, board walk fries

>> No.4126441

>>4122324
> Also if you're ever in Byron Bay (East coast Aus) come in, mention the chan and I'll look after you!

I think he means "mention you are from the chan he will keep an eye on you" haha.

Too much weird shit posted itt. There's a difference between "ethnic foods that can be made and sold while still making a profit" and "all my personal favorite dishes that are either regional and therefore not universally popular or just ho-hum and would only get you excited if you were programmed to like it while a child".

I recommend you start reading as many american menus as you can get your hands on and see if you can find a trend, its very easy to spot. Pay attention to the ratios as well... If they have 10 varieties of hamburger and then one obligatory frozen fish burger, that's saying something.

And go to youtube and seach "good eats buffalo". Its the how to make buffalo wings episode. In the first scene he shows some great examples of "bar food". Pubs have their fish and chips... We have that stuff. You will notice a lot of potatoes in there... Hope you guys like them. The wings are a must-have, but don't get tangled up in cooking methods. Prepare them how you think they will accepted there.

>> No.4126456
File: 31 KB, 626x359, byron.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I live near Byron Bay but I'm not sure if I'd ever mention 4chan in public.
I assume the reason OP wants to make American food is because Byron Bay is a tourist hot spot and there are more Amerifats here than Aussies. Nice spot though.

>> No.4126461

I wish this thread would 404.
I'm so tired of seeing that disgusting looking shrimp "gumbo".

>> No.4126479

North Carolina pulled pork and sweet tea FTW.

>> No.4126492

I'm going to be a nice guy here and really help you out. Here's an item that is very popular in my establishment. Fried softshell crab sandwich with shredded lettuce, pickles and a chipolte mayo.

My bread recipe:
1 gallon high gluten malted flour
7 1/2C cold water
1 tsp active dry yeast
2 Tbs salt
2 Tbs sugar

cornmeal for dusting
olive oil for brushing
kosher salt for sprinkling.

Add your ingredients together in your mixer and knead until it forms a nice ball. Let it rest 5 minutes then spin it once or twice around the bowl. Place in a large bowl and cover with a bag or something air tight for 18 hours. Dust with flour, scrape out of bowl and cut into 18 even pieces. roll each piece about 6 inches long. Place on a cornmeal dusted sheet tray lined with parchment. brush with olive oil and cover for 2 more hours. sprinkle with your sea salt and bake in a preheated 450 degree convection oven (500 degree standard oven) for 17 minutes. allow to cool completely.

these loaves are amazing and very versatile. I hope you're not a troll as I'd like to see you succeed.

>> No.4126504

>>4126456
> American food is because Byron Bay is a tourist hot spot and there are more Amerifats here than Aussies.

In that case, serving traditional amerifat food doesn't sound wise. I know we're fat and disgusting and all, but still, those who can afford a vacation in Aus *probably* has a bit more culture and cooth than the kind of amerifat that would take a 20hr+ plane ride just to eat american food made by someone who is just copying it.

The kind of clowns that take cruise ships down to the bahamas, that's a different story. Maybe college kids, perhaps EU people wanting some good fat people chow by way of AU. Who knows. It would be different if Aus food was all gnarly and served with eyeballs intact, them amerifats might seek out hamburgers and hotdogs, but I'm just not seeing it. Good food down there and except for the vegemite, its all edible.

>> No.4126515

>>4126492
> 2013
> I hope you're not a troll
> 1 gallon high gluten malted flour

Make me miss 2012
3/10

>> No.4126517
File: 256 KB, 960x960, 32137.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4126504
>cooth.

>> No.4126544

>>4122295
last time i had thrashers i poured so much vinegar on them that the bottom of the cup fell apart, dropping my fries all over the boardwalk.

>> No.4126550

>>4126517
> Cooth

Saved and saved, and emailed to my gmail acct for redundancy. That pic is fuckin awesome. Will crop out that very ugly kitty cat. She looks all nicotine stained or something. That's an odd color.

>> No.4126575

fish tacos, tex mex burritos, fried dough, onion rings, lobster rolls, fried clams, burgers, and fried chicken tenders all make for good American beach/boardwalk food.

>> No.4126592

Hey OP not trying to samefag, I posted earlier ...

http://chickenholiday-langhorne.com/

Every town has a place with deep fryers the size of hot tubs. This place has a bit more extensive menu than most. Not everything can be fried. If its a vege, it needs to be something with enough moisture to keep the oil from infiltrating the food. If its meat... No worries. If you are making fries/chips, you already have the apparatus.

My favs: jalapeno poppers, mozerella sticks, wings, mushrooms.

>> No.4126959

Sloppy Joes! I don't really know a good recipe that doesn't involve Manwich though but sloppy joes are pretty American.

>> No.4126973

Hamburger.

Fries.

>> No.4126979

>>4122344
Do it in a sandwich grill so the cheese oil mingles with the bread.

>> No.4126993

>>4126515
you sir are a fag.

>> No.4127035

>>4126959
Sloppy Joes

2 lbs Ground Beef (or Turkey)
1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
1 Medium Sweet Onion, diced
1 Medium Green Pepper, diced
Heavy pinch of salt
1 Can Diced Tomatoes
1 cup water

2 Cups Ketchup (low salt, low sugar if available)
3 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons Yellow Mustard
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper

1) Brown ground meat in large skillet and drain, then set aside
2) Add Vegetable oil to skillet and put over medium-high heat, then add onion & pepper (plus a heavy pinch of salt)
3) Cook onion & pepper until they begin to brown and soften. Add meat back to pan, then add tomatoes and water and stir well.
4) Continue to heat meat/onion mixture over medium high heat, bring it to a boil.
5) Mix together all the remaining ingredients, then add to skillet, stirring well.
6) Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and let reduce for about 15-20 minutes
7) Cover skillet and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes
8) Remove from heat and uncover, and let sit for about 5 minutes (for sauce to thicken)
9) Serve on warm hamburger rolls (will make about 8-10 sandwiches)

>> No.4127051

>>4122234
the best looking american food I saw on Man vs Food was something like pulled pork sandwiches with gravy and a bunch of other awesome fillings. It's enough to make me want to go to USA.

Which town is your shack in OP?