[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 368 KB, 380x298, dancing_fools.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4054012 No.4054012 [Reply] [Original]

>be University Student living in cheapo dorm
>Only have a few cabinets, a hot plate/portable wire-coil range, microwave, small fridge, and sink to serve as a pitiful kitchen

Is a Toaster Oven a good investment for me?

>> No.4054016

Your kitchen sounds pretty decent.

My sister is at uni and she has a community kitchen and when I visited her it didn't seem too bad but I heard some horror stories.

To answer your question though, I would say yes, if you like toast and who doesn't?

>> No.4054025
File: 33 KB, 598x598, kitchenaid-convection-toaster-oven.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4054016
I mean for a full-on replacement for an oven. I might have gotten the terminology wrong.

>> No.4054079

>>4054025
While it's not going to 'replace' an oven, you will be able to heat up french bread pizza and other frozen items in it. But, you're not going to be able to do a roast chicken in it.

>> No.4054093

>>4054079

Depends on what you buy. These days you can get convection type toaster ovens that are indeed large enough to roast a chicken in (though it will be a tight fit!).

I find them extremely useful. I have one simply as a backup for my normal oven. For example, if I'm cooking a roast and roasted potatoes at the same time. The potatoes need to be cooked at a very high temp but the roast itself needs a lower temp. That's hard to do with just one oven, so I put the roast itself into my full-size oven and then use the convection toaster oven for the potatoes.

>> No.4054108

>>4054093
Interesting... I had forgotten about using the toaster oven for spuds. You could also cook certain varieties of hard squash (butternut, spaghetti, kabocha and acorn)