[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 20 KB, 519x519, diabeetus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4026968 No.4026968 [Reply] [Original]

Ok, /ck/ I need your help. I need to start eating healthier because I has the diabeetus, type II.

Problem is - I HATE vegetables. I'm a meat-and-potatoes typical amerifat (5'9"/240lbs).

I have lost 40 lbs over the past year, but I need to lose at least 50 more. I need to know how to cook some green veggies so they aren't completely repellent to me, and yet are still healthy. I know I can't just cover them in cheese sauce and expect them to be healthy.

Most issues I have with veggies tend to be either smell (broccoli smells like diaper shit), or texture (stringy/fiberous or mushy).

So, /ck/ I implore you - help me find 5 veggies I can eat and not yack due to the stench or texture.

I'm an OK home cook, and budget isn't so much an issue - I just have to overcome this hatred of all things green.

>> No.4026976

Broccoli doesn't smell like diaper shit. Grow the fuck up and eat more vegetables until you no longer hate them. Having the palette of a 3 year old is no excuse for not eating healthier.

>> No.4026986
File: 11 KB, 480x360, facepalm_grzegorz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4026976
>Having the palette of a 3 year old is no excuse for not eating healthier.
>Having the palette of a 3 year old is no excuse
>Having the palette of a 3 year old
>Having the palette
>the palette
>palette
mfw

>> No.4026989

Cooked carrots, get the whole ones.

Frozen spinach is pretty fresh tasting, tastes much better than fresh . Cabbage is cheap and cooks to softness. Cauliflower can be turned into a mashed potato like food and even used as a pizza crust. Peppers are sweet and tasty.

Your prob is you're too used to sweet and salty foods, your taste buds are incapable of tasting natural sweetness. Just eat the shit and stop whining.

>> No.4026991

Roast vegetables. Any root vegetable (carrots, onions, parsnips, etc) will turn a bit sweet when oven roasted. Works well for squash too.

Cauliflower is pretty versatile. You can purée it, make soup, roast it...

I'm a big fan of baby spinash as they are easy to add to almost anything and will shrivel as they cook, so a lot of spinach (when you put it in) ends up small on your plate, and you can get your good conscience points.

>> No.4026993

I used to HATE vegetables as well. Turns out its just the fact that I am from the midwest US and no one here knows how to cook them hardly. Boiling is far, far, far from the only way. Stringy/fiberous can often mean undercooked. You mention mush - my mother would always boil the shit out of everything, and they weren't fresh vegetables to begin with. I wasn't picky, I just had good taste.

Start simple and work your way up. Simplest one, though granted it's starchy - frozen fresh peas. Saute them in a small skillet with a tablespoon of butter on medium/medium-high heat until done. Simple as hell and delicious.

Kale salad with bacon bits, tossed in a touch of the grease (after it's cooled a bit)

And if you've never done a basic pot roast in a slowcooker with a bed of carrot and potatoes, you're missing out.

As for broccoli, I'm looking forward to this one:
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com/archives/6076

>> No.4027001

>>4026968
Spinach, cabbage, turnip greens, lettuce (anything but iceberg) and broccoli is awesome.

I tend to eat my greens raw, lightly steamed for broccoli or sauteed for spinach. Cabbage is stewed.

>> No.4027005

>>4026993
>>4026993

OP here.

Peas might be a good start - I think I'll try this one tomorrow.

As for salads, I'm OK with baby greens and onions, and on occasion radishes and julienned carrots, but the only tomatoes I like are in sauces.

As for Pot Roast, I've made it many times, but I almost always pick out the carrots and onions. Again, it's the texture. I can munch on raw carrots, but cooked the softness seems weird to me.

>> No.4027013

>>4026968

carrots
sweet potato
onions
peppers
spinach leaves

>> No.4027029

>>4026986
ITT an americlap displays ignorance in both vocabulary and food

>> No.4027047

Vegetables are shitty cooked; eat them raw. Or skip them and take vitamins.

>> No.4027055

Brussels sprouts are good. Like tender cabbage. They make a seasoned steam-in-bag that's in the frozen section of your grocery store.

Swap out regular potatos for sweet potatos.

Pickled red onions are good for salads. They are very tender and the flavor keeps it interesting.

Above all use portion control. I'm in the same boat as you. Lost 23 lbs. already.

>> No.4027112

OP here.

Looking at this site, and today's recipe looks like I might be able to handle it:

http://www.cooktasteeat.com/meal/ginger-crusted-salmon-with-braised-red-cabbage-parsnip-apple-puree-
apple-gastrique

The Parsnip-Apple puree and the Briased Red Cabbage are intriguing. Thoughts?

>> No.4027435

OP, I was/am in same situation, kinda. Heart attack. Lost 80 pounds; 20 to go. Here's what I did.

Peas, frozen
Carrots, fresh
Corn, frozen
Onions, fresh
Peppers, any kind, fresh or pickled (beware dat salt)
Frozen mixed chinese veggies.
Mushrooms, fresh.
Snowpeas, fresh (great raw as an alternative to chips).
Snap peas, fresh (also great raw too).

Damn near all of that is nuke-able. 1/2 cup microwave containers, add some spices, and go. Over-nuke make's 'em mushy.

And you've surely got spices of all kinds. Try what ever rows yur boat, even dat sriracha.

A saute pan, onions, mushrooms; carmelize 'em with a little olive oil for a taste treat.

BTW, butter is now gone from your life. Olive oil, in extreme moderation, is better.

>> No.4027457

PUMPKIN SOUP
MUSHROOM SOUP
PEA SOUP

Damn, I love veggies.