[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 655 KB, 960x853, fit diet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3951299 No.3951299 [Reply] [Original]

Hi, /fit/ here

Can you recommend a way to improve this dish without adding any caloric value to it? (e.g. by way of spices)

Beef, broccoli, and a white rice. I brown the ground beef on a frying pan with some black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. The broccoli is steamed and thrown in with the rice after the beef is cooked, along with a little water.

I eat this meal fairly often and would like to have some alternative ways of flavoring it.

>> No.3951304

>>3951299

Real garlic and onion for one. Salt for another, soy sauce would work here I believe.

>> No.3951305

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU

>> No.3951307

>>3951299
Tarragon is an interesting spice that brightens a dense meaty meal like this considerably. Sprinkle it on the finish product, not during cooking.

>> No.3951366

Soy Sauce

>> No.3951368

hot sawse, bro

>> No.3951424

Try cayenne pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika. The heat could help.

Worcestershire sauce and/or some yellow mustard when you're browning the beef adds some nice flavors.

>> No.3951441

Deglaze the pan you used to brown the beef with soy sauce and toss everything in it.

>> No.3951446

If you can afford non-ground beef, look up a recipe for Chinese broccoli beef.

>> No.3951469

make a nice veloute sauce and quit being such a pussy

>> No.3951471

thyme and mushrooms are delicious together. and it goes well w/ beef or chicken.

>> No.3951538

Make brown rice instead. Has more flavor. Add soy sauce.

Look into cumin and turmeric. Cumin for sure, but I love turmeric as well. And of course the onion recommendations. I also sometimes throw in ginger, cinnamon, or other spices I find in my cabinet, but always cumin and turmeric.

>> No.3951548

OP,

MUSTARD.

It's ridiculously low calorie and adds so much flavor. Either add a spicy mustard like brown or whatever, or just add mustard spice.

>> No.3951558

Broccoli, rice, beef.

What works?
Tarragon
Thyme
Marjoram
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Salt
Black Pepper
Bayleaf
Ginger (Small slice, soak in beef, remove)

What probably does not work?
Basil
Cilantro
Rosemary
Turmeric

>> No.3951831

Thanks everyone, I'll be trying out most of these suggestions this week

>> No.3951849

>coconut oil
stopped reading there.

>> No.3952005

>>3951299
First, buy cheap thin cut steaks. Pretty much minute-steaks, but buy them from the butcher. Chop into small pieces in substitution for the ground beef. Sprinkle on some Chinese Five Spice.

Make a sauce of soy sauce, ginger, garlic, mirin, rice vinegar, and sesame oil with some chopped onions. Fry the beef slices in a pan with a small amount of oil and add the sauce to the beef and simmer it for a few minutes. Add in the steamed broccoli close to the end, stir, and serve it over the white rice.

Add a fried egg (or raw egg if you're feeling adventurous and you know the eggs are high quality, just make sure to add it immediately to the dish when it's hot and stir it up) to the top to make it even better.