[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 17 KB, 424x297, teriyaki-beef-jerky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3930876 No.3930876[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

what are some health alternatives for making jerky. After reading of the effects i dont want to keep using sodium nitrate/nitrite. Do I need S.N. if I store my jerky in the fridge/freezer, and only take it out before I eat it? would it last a few days out of the fridge?

>> No.3930885

>how do i make unpreserved beef jerky

>> No.3930892

Get one of those vacuum sealers, seal the jerky in the bags. It should last a long while in the freezer, just take it out and eat it as needed.

>> No.3930897

Once dry, store in a cool dry place, in an airtight container for 2 to 3 months.

>> No.3931093

Pretty much all this. I only use Nitrate if I'm going to be shipping it cross country/overseas to someone, if it's just for me or for friends, I use a heavy duty ziploc bag, throw some silica dessicant packets in there with the jerky, and keep it in the fridge/freezer or the coolest darkest part of my pantry.

As long as you've trimmed as much fat as possible, and don't expose it to light as much as possible, it'll last you several weeks, months if it's frozen even.

ITT eating jerky in the dark by the light of our monitors.

>> No.3931099
File: 46 KB, 586x319, umad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not getting primo beef jerky without all the shit

http://www.smokedmeats.com/jerky-beef-jerky.html

>> No.3931280

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/release/2003/05/california-raisins-make-safe-and-tasty-preserv
ative-jerky

what are your thoughts on this? how exactly would one use the raisins? crushed raisin -almost a solution, whole raisins, etc? does regular sugar work as well?

>> No.3931299

>>3931280
He says ground up raisins. So maybe it's added to the marinade before drying.

>> No.3931328

>>3931280
>http://extension.oregonstate.edu/news/release/2003/05/california-raisins-make-safe-and-tasty-pre
serv
>ative-jerky
Raisin sweet and sour jerky? Sounds great to me..

>> No.3931399

>>3930876
>i dont want to keep using sodium nitrate/nitrite.

Why the fuck would you be using that in the first place? jesus

Anyway, look up some "biltong" recipes. The only thing you should be putting on biltong or jerky is seasonings for taste and nothing else. It is the lack of moisture content that makes them preserved. You can look up how to smoke meat for preservation too.

>> No.3931494

>>3931399

Yeah like that cow guy said, Nitrate you pretty much need only if you're cooking pork products at or below 200 degrees, or in the case of jerky, not being sure where the jerky is going to be sitting for an extended period of time.

If you're shipping jerky overseas or having it sit for an extended period of time (like on a store shelf) then yes, it's important, but otherwise, it's pretty unecessary as long as you trim as much fat as possible and dry the meat as much as possible. This will extend the life of the jerky, whatever you season it with is up to you.

>> No.3931842

>>3931399
>He says ground up raisins. So maybe it's added to the marinade before drying.

I was using the hi-mountain cures

>> No.3931852

You never "need" chemical preservatives. Just attempt close to 0% moisture content and freeze for even longer term storage. If you can get/make some tallow with 0% moisture then it can actually preserve it for longer rather than causing spoilage. Look up "pemmican".

>> No.3931873

>>3931099
> $40 a pound

Fuck that shit. I just buy a cheap cut and marinate it in a beef marinade (Stubbs, which isn't half bad) or use soy sauce or teriyaki sauce and shit.

My problem is it's expensive as fuck for meat, and I have a hard time not eating it all right away. Plus, so much sodium.

>> No.3931882

>>3931873
Use Tamari. More flavorful so less sodium ends up being consumed.

>> No.3931906

>>3931882
Is that a brand or a type of sauce?

>> No.3931914

>>3931906
It's soy sauce without extra shit in it. Just soy and salt.