[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 118 KB, 1000x685, chicken_sweet_sour.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3919799 No.3919799[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys.

Do any of you have any good Chinese food recipes? Specifically sweet and sour chicken (not the kind where the sauce is cooked in, but just the chicken and you add the sauce later)?

Sweet and sour chicken is my favorite food, so it'd save me some money by learning how to make it, rather than forking up $8 to the local Chinese place (which is fucking amazing, mind you).

>> No.3919812

bumpan

>> No.3919818

To prepare chicken:

Cut choice of chicken into cubes, or manageably sized chunks.

Place cornstarch in a bowl (about as much as you think you'll need, depending on how bit of a serving size you'd like to make). Season with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, powdered ginger, or your favorite spices.

Lightly toss chicken chunks in cornstarch mix to coat.

The cooking method is up to you. Deep frying or pan frying results in the best crisp on the chicken, but it can be baked if you prefer, until the chicken is cooked through, and golden brown.

While the chicken is cooking, combine 1/3 cup rice vinegar (seasoned varieties add to the flavor), 4tbs. of brown sugar, and 1tsp. of soy sauce. You may add a few tablespoons of honey too, if you like a richer, sweeter flavor. Fruit chunks or juices such as pineapple and orange can mix up the flavor as well, and add some nice acidity to keep it from becoming too sweet. Other things like chopped green onion, or bell pepper make nice additions too. You can experiment with things like Sriracha, ginger, and chile sauces to customize the flavor to your liking. Mix, and bring to a boil in a small saucepan. Then add 2tsp. cornstarch mixed in 4tsp. water to thicken the sauce.

Remove the sauce from heat, and toss your cooked chicken in it, then serve.

>> No.3919887

>>3919818
that sounds great and totally helpful. Not op but I am totally considering baking up some chicken now.

>> No.3919904
File: 25 KB, 704x392, 27 Ryokiteki na Kanojo ep04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3919799

Make REAL Chinese food. The real stuff is far healthier and is soooooooooooo much better tasting than any of the fake Chinese food you've had. The Chinese know how to cook amazing freaking food.

Fried rice in Oyster Sauce with Dried Scallop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCMNXqruGk

Braised Pork Belly in Sweet Soy Sauce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CsP_5bvLJ8

Martin Yan - Quick & Easy (Sweet & Savory - Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh0TydXEImY&feature=related

Martin Yan's Chinatowns - The Chinese Iron Chef
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cEFiEU7i3k&feature=related

How to Make Potstickers with Chef Martin Yan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_eln6SD8w&list=FLBjooouqPEpa4brMp8X3cOw&index=9&feature
=plcp

>> No.3919908
File: 487 KB, 500x373, 1346639884999.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>sweet and sour chicken
>chinese

>> No.3919906

>>3919904
>Make REAL Chinese food.
Virtually all the food I had when I was in China for 3 months was greasy as fuck.

>> No.3919925
File: 48 KB, 440x374, chris%20Benoit%20Tap%20out.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's one I eat at least twice a month, super good and really easy to prepare:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chinese-mabo-tofu/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=mabo
%20tofu&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

>> No.3919942

>>3919925
Anyone have one for mapo tofu? The place I used to go to closed down (I'm sure because they were smuggling drugs, since there was no fucking way they were surviving through legitimate business.) God I miss that spicy, delicious sauce.

>> No.3919947

>>3919925
Okay I just noticed that, but not quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for one with a red possibly oily sauce. It didn't have any meat, but it was spicy as fuck. I've tried thai chilis and it's not the same. I'm pretty sure the heat isn't simply from cayenne or black bean sauce.

>> No.3919954

ITT: chinamen get mad because America makes their food better than they do.

>> No.3919960

Anyone heard of making a batter with just cornstarch, salt and water for deep frying chicken?

I've seen this in some crappy British cooking show where an Asian girl was telling people to make the batter like that. I don't know the show or the host cause I've only seen one episode when I was traveling this summer.

>> No.3920004

>>3919906

Fat is good for you.

>> No.3920021
File: 642 KB, 400x225, Do3Zx.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3919818
>powdered ginger
in an asian recipe?

please, go play in traffic right now.

>> No.3920189

Here's how I made S&S at the slope joint:

Measurements are for faggots.

Get your pan hot. Fuck you, saute up some ognon, belly pepper and canned pineapple. Save dat juice, saute dem pinas.

Once everything's nice and soft with some brown edges, deglaze your pan with the pineapple juice. Add in some white vinegar. Fuck you, don't measure it, just pour some in. If you pour in too much, you'll know.

Then add some sugar. Don't be a bitch, just put in some sugar. Now you need to tighten this shit up. You're going to do it by making some slurry. Slurry is made by taking some cornstarch (again, measuring is for faggots), and mixing it with some warm water. Just use your fingers for this, you fucking pussy. Once you get some slurry going, pour some into the hopefully bubbly and boily liquid mess you made before. Go slowly, because once this slurry warms up, it'll get tight. If you put in too much, it turns to bubble gum and you need to throw it away.

Right now, your sauce is yellow to orange. If you want it red or pink like the faggots at the restaurant make it, spurt in some ketchup. Fucking serious, this is how every slope does it in every joint. Don't be a pussy faggot roundeye and wince at this. Your S&S is gonna have ketchup in it.

Now fry up dat chicken. You don't got a deep fryer? Fuck you. Get one. Get dat grease up to 375.

Make up some egg wash. It's just a few eggs all scramscram. If you don't know how to make egg wash, kill yourself.

(more)

>> No.3920190

>>3920189
Cut up your chicken. Don't be a faggot pussy and use breast. Leg meat is where the flavor is. Use that. Cut it into pieces and roll it up in cornstarch. Then dip that shit in your eggwash and then move it back to the cornstarch. Here's your breading. Fry that shit. Fry it until gold. Don't measure anything, just do it. Do it faggot.

While you're frying, you'd best be keeping your sauce cooking. That shit'll reduce and taste better after all the water is cooked out.

Now take dem chickens, throw them into the sauce. Let that shit cook a bit so the sauce penetrates the breading.

There's your S&S. It's so fucking trivial that illiterates can make it. So maybe you can figure it out too, OP.

Faggot.

>> No.3920192

>>3920004
>This is what Americans have actually started to believe so that they can eat as much of it as they want and pretend it's ok

>> No.3920716

>3920192

You failed biology. :(

>> No.3921432

>>3920190

Thanks, faggot. I appreciate that shit.

>> No.3921567

>>3920189
>>3920190

this nigga here - this is how you make yo shit tate betta than 90% of shit slope shops that stoop to make the ss

>> No.3921583

>>3919904

I've had Dim sum many times. Too much steaming, makes all the food watery as fuck. Char Sui Bau can stay though.