[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 239 KB, 450x673, deschutes-black-butte-porter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3899424 No.3899424 [Reply] [Original]

Not sure where to post this, but considering food/availability of good food influences this decision, I'll ask here.

Where should I move after my fiance is done with school? She's finishing up a PharmD in 2 years, and I'm already graduated.

I want somewhere that is close to a metro area ( think Portland/Boston/Munich or larger), close to the ocean, has good weather, good standards of living, doesn't have a super rude population, a good food culture, and decent cost of living.

I previously settled on Portland, Oregon - however, the weather is a huge con that I'm not sure I'd be willing to deal with.

Suggestions?

>> No.3899458
File: 1.88 MB, 256x192, UpxZV.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bump

>> No.3899466

Im from Seattle and have a lot of friends in Portland. Portland weather is not Seattle weather, it doesnt rain like people think.

The people are nice, it is culturally progressive, pretty environmentally friendly for the size and theres almost always something going on. Also, the mall has a full size ice rink which is awesome

Seattle is better though

>> No.3899483

>>3899466
I'm looking deeper than that however. Every time I've been to Portland, it's been cloudy, even in mid summer. It isn't the same rain wise, but it seems to be always misting.

In addition, I've read a lot about issues with home costs, and mold problems.

Depressions seems to be an issue there, and I've also read a lot of stories about people that move to the area often have huge persoanlity changes and end up separating from their SO, at a far larger rate than usual.

I guess I need to know more about the area to determine if it is right for two people moving there from the south/midwest, but want a more liberal, coastal lifestyle.

>> No.3899490

Sounds like you may like coastal CA. Look into places like San Fransisco or northern CA. People in southern CA can be assholes unless you're in the right city. There's a couple decent LA suburb cities. There's a couple, but they aren't "close" (ie, about an hours drive) to the beach.

>> No.3899508

>>3899490
I think I would, but like you said, aren't they assholes? Plus, California has insanely terrible personal freedoms. Super draconian bullshit. Not to mention the cost of housing is 3-4 times higher than in the rest of the country.

>> No.3899557

>asking for life advice on /ck/

your beer threads aren't even that good

>> No.3899559

>2012
>living in Cali
Now that that's said, I've always liked what I've perceived of Seattle, Phoenix, Albuquerque and Denver, and then there are smaller cities in almost the same places like Santa Fe, Colorado Springs and Flagstaff. most of them aren't near the ocean and you're gonna need a good heat tolerance for Arizona and New Mexico but other than that they're great, and the food is brilliant due to all the Mexicans. Lots of people say North Carolina is a decent place to live these days with Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro and so on, but I don't like the east coast at all.

>> No.3899571

>>3899559
Some of those places are ok, but I guess I should have specified I didn't want to live in a red state.

>> No.3899582

>>3899571
Well, that's your decision. Washington is blue, and Colorado is evenly split with all the cities being blue and the countryside being red. Can't help you if you dislike AR or NM, I guess different people have different priorities.

>> No.3899584

>>3899582
AR and NM are automatically out because they aren't on the coast. I did really like Scottsdale when I was there a few years ago. Denver area is good too, but again, it's not on the coast.

>> No.3899589

>>3899584
AZ* rather.

>> No.3899613

>>3899508
They can be assholes. Can you explain what you mean by "terrible personal freedoms"? I'm genuinely curious. Also, how much housing costs really depends on where you stay. I live in Anaheim and am paying 1400 a month to stay at an apartment in a shitty neighborhood. Travel up into LA county and you can find a nice apartment for about 400. I can't speak much regarding the housing market in the rest of the states because I've never really been out of state.

>> No.3899624

>>3899613
Housing costs are far higher in California.

With regards to personal freedoms, California is in the top 5 worst states for personal freedoms.

"On personal freedoms, California does well on same-sex partnerships and marijuana, but it also has the most restrictive gun laws in the country, a highly restrictive policy regime for motorists, and smoking bans" - Mercatus

>> No.3900471

>>3899483
Depression problems are very easily solved, get a sun lamp and put near your computer/sitting area. It makes a 100% difference for people who are affected by SAD (seasonal depression). I never noticed it because I grew up there. Yes, Portland proper is expensive housing wise, but there are so many bedroom communities that are much more reasonable that it isnt a big deal