[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 15 KB, 185x185, Del_Taco_logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3883830 No.3883830[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

well /ck/, i did it. i finally found myself on the side of town with a del taco and decided to give it a shot. to make a short story short........i was totally underwhelmed by it. i ordered a spicy chicken burrito and was not happy with it at all. the rice was very undercooked and crunchy and the chicken was okay but nothing special. everything else just tasted like taco bell but with less flavor.

am i missing something here? should i have ordered something else? i mean a chicken burrito is a pretty standard item, i fiigured it would be a good way to judge quality. but it was totally fucked up. and the decor in the restaurant was so plain that it makes my local taco bell look fancy in comparison. the place was tiny. the hot sauce bar was a disaster. soooooo, why do i keep hearing people rave about the place? honestly i thought it was a step below taco bell. do people just think its cool because its from california?

what the hell, del taco? you fucking suck.

>> No.3883840

>>3883830

Sounds like just a shitty location, OP. When I was living in Vegas, the one down the road from my house blew TB out of the water. My favorites from there are the Macho burrito and the big fat chicken taco.

>> No.3883844

>lived in California for 7 years

Del Taco is like Chipotle, Five Guys, Chik Fil A etc.

They're not better than their competitors, they're just smartly advertised towards hipsters and anti-mainstream folks.

>> No.3883858

You've never been to Del Taco before? How is that even fucking possible?

>> No.3883867

>>3883858
I'd never been to one until about 6 months ago after they built one down the street from my house. They aren't that common in TX, and my small hometown still doesn't have one anywhere near it even though it has all the other major fast food chains there.

>> No.3883869

>>3883844
i see. maybe i'm just not the crowd they are aiming for, because i also think chipotle and five guys are shit. chik fil a is good. i just dont get why everyone got so excited when they opened one here. "ooooomg!!! its just like a taco belll.........but its not!!!! and its from CALIFORNIA!" meh, it was just mediocrity. i get better burritos from the beaner express taco truck across the street for a dollar less. and they actually cook the rice too.

>>3883858
houstonfag, they just opened a del taco here this year. honestly i don't see them finding a good market here, we have more legit burrito and taco places than you could fathom.

>> No.3883872

>>3883858

Del Taco isn't even in 25 out of the 50 states that exist.

>> No.3883878

Meh, I live in texas too and those fuckers wont make here. We have to many good mexican/tex-mex places here. Hell we only have 2 taco bells where i currently live and ive never been to either of them. If i want fast food mexican I go to Rosa's Cafe. Freshly cooked tortillas at a fast food joint. Fuck yeah!

>> No.3883886

op here, i'm not opposed to giving them another try when i'm in that part of town. i got alot of good coupons when i was there (buy 1 macho taco get one free) (buy 1 del beef burrito get 1 free) etc etc, i got about 20 coupons that are good. what would you guys recommend that i order? anything items that they are well known for? i also saw that they sell burgers and fries, how are those?

and i don't mean to hate too hard, honestly that burrito probably would've been decent if the rice didn't have the texture of small rocks. the rice totally killed it though, it made the whole experience unenjoyable. if i go back it is to get free stuff w my coupons.

>> No.3883887

>>3883886
I like their chicken soft tacos.

>> No.3883890

>>3883878
i think i've heard of rosa's cafe. is it the local chain thats out in el paso or west texas? we have taco cabana in houson. for late nite mexican munchies its actually pretty good but of course the small local places are better.

>> No.3883892

>>3883887
i saw those, i think they were selling for $1 each. they had ranch and chipotle. i almost got one of each but opted for the burrito. but i may try em next time, i think i'll be avoiding the rice!

>> No.3883894

>>3883890
I've got one right down the street from my house in Ft. Worth. There was also one in College Station if I remember correctly.

>> No.3883899

>>3883830
del taco seems to have a slightly more healthy and homemade taste to thier food. try thier tacos with inferno sauce. way spicier then taco bell

>> No.3883909

>>3883899
i guess it did taste "homemade" in the sense that it tasted just like something my mom would throw together using prepackaged ingredients from the King Dollar. mediocre packaged tortilla? check. canned flavorless refried beans? check. rushed and undercooked rice? check. dethawed flash frozen chicken meat cooked fast as fuck on the grill? check. shitty shredded velveeta cheese? check.

and the inferno sauce, i saw the sign for it and was quite looking forward to trying it since i love spicy foods so much. somebody had taken the spout off of the bowl that holds the sauce and thrown the spout on the other side of the counter. the sauce container was completely empty and there was fucking red sauce smeared all over the sauce bar. it looked like a fucking homicide scene. i found myself wishing they just had sauce in the little packets.

>> No.3883924

>>3883830
yup thats it. Started in West Texas and slowing expanding east. If you ever go there get the chile de arbol salsa from the fresh salsa bar and grab a bottle of honey. When you are done with your lunch/dinner you can put some honey on the hot flour tortillas and man its good.

Damn OP, when you describe it like that it sounds like you really shouldn't go back and give them another chance.

>> No.3883930

>>3883924
i doubt i will go back, trust me if i do end up there then i didn't go out of my way to get it. my coupons are good until october 14, so if i find myself on the ass end of westheimer and i happen to have my coupons and i happen to be hungry and i happen to not have more than $2-3 to spend on food then i MAY stop there.

>> No.3883960

>>3883909
you gotta get used to the lower salt content of del taco food it happens pretty fast or just put hot sauce on it.

>> No.3883970

anybody know if the green chili in del taco burritos are only spicy in beaner states or is it spicy in all the states with del taco

>> No.3884031

>>3883844
in what way was del taco targeted toward "hipsters"

>> No.3884034 [DELETED] 

Great OP
Now I want to throw up at the idea someone actually goes to dell taco

>> No.3884067

>>3884031
thats just what hipsters while they eat thier hipster food and talk about why they dont go to del taco

>> No.3884111
File: 179 KB, 300x270, 871092264137.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Dem classic taco
They stuff that shit until the tacos nearly explode
Always get em with some deluxe Chili Cheddar Fries

>> No.3884114

>>3884067
i dont think you know what youre talking about, let alone have the ability to form a basic sentence

>> No.3884120

>>3884111
Also I put 2 packs of inferno sauce on my tacos

>> No.3884177

op back. do you guys really think del taco is good? i mean as much as i hate to say it i think i like taco bell better if i find myself eating cheap fast food burritos. as far as price and quality they seem to me nearly identical, i'm only giving the nod to tbell because of their specialty sauces and items. you know lava sauce, crunchwraps, cheesy gordita crunch etc etc. maybe the bad rice just gave me an unusually shitty first impression though. i'll probably be going back since my coupons are so good, i just took another look at them. 99 cent chicken burrito, buy 1 macho burrito get one free, buy one bacon cheeseburger get one free, lots of buy 1 get 1 frees.

>> No.3884184

>>3884120
i didn't see packets at my store but maybe i just missed them. all i saw were three of those spout things that you push down on and sauce comes out. and the inferno one was wrecked beyond hell.

>> No.3884187

Soft or Hard tacos
maybe a drink
thats it
everything is overpriced
every one of their burritos is trash
I think i remember back in the day they had one good ;never mind that was taco bell
del taco is meh

>> No.3884194

>>3884177
tbh theyre not always terrible but they can be, and when they arent they are pretty good, the best thing i usually stick to is their chicken soft tacos, theyre not easy to fuck up for them

>> No.3884204

>>3884194
thanks for the heads up, i think i've seen a few people mention sticking w the tacos so i'll probably keep that in mind. have you tried the burgers? are they any good? are they seasoned w taco seasoning or is it like a regular fast food burger? thatd be tits if they put taco seasoning on it while cooking.

>> No.3884207

>>3884204
theyre meh but cheap

>> No.3886081

french fries in the burritos. making it bold.