[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 6 KB, 255x231, brown-onion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3875137 No.3875137 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/, /a/non here to ask a question.
So today my girlfriend went to the store to hit up grocery sales, and tonight she was gonna make spaghetti (my favorite!). She forgot something at the store so I went really quick to pick it up for her, and when I come back to the apartment, holy shit my eyes are being assaulted with burning and pain.

Apparently she got brown onions (pic related), as opposed to white onions like she usually uses. Is there a reason these things are letting out eye burning fumes throughout the apartment? I'm literally sitting on the doorstep with the door open because of how much this is making me tear up and burn.

I ask you, /ck/, is this worth it? I really hope these are some really, really good onions. I also really hope this isn't normal and that this batch of onions is bad or something so that we won't have to go through this suffering the next time she cooks something with those onions.

>> No.3875143
File: 14 KB, 200x224, 71036_124235187589800_3747600_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

fag

>> No.3875155

da fuq

Did she buy shallots or something? Because brown or not, regular onions aren't that bad.

>> No.3875166

Unless she bought an entire grocery cart of those things, brown onions shouldn't smell that bad.

Throw them out...God only knows what they'd do to your digestive system. Something is definitely wrong with them.

>> No.3875174

This thread reeks of bullshit.

But that aside, batches of onions can vary greatly in their ability to induce tears. They all taste good in spaghetti though.

>> No.3875191

bump

>> No.3875203

Put the onions in the fridge for 15-20 mins before chopping them up if it really bothers you that much.

>> No.3875225

anon you should cut them under water... that way it wont hurt your eyes.. and god! stop being idiotic! you fool!

>> No.3875251

Wear goggles silly.

>> No.3875258

No Op, you are not crazy. The brown and yellow varieties of onion tend to make your eyes water more than the white/sweet ones. I buy white onions for this reason because my other half complains that the brown and yellow ones fill the house with "onion fumes".

>> No.3875276

Cut them in water or rinse them well before cutting. Always works for me.

>> No.3875285

sharpen your knives faggot

>> No.3875330

>>3875285
Indeed, OP should sharpen his knife as keen as he can get it then what this old British man explains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDGHKyB3T_U