[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 15 KB, 300x448, grocery-delivery-service.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3854161 No.3854161[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Grocery Shopping,

What are your thoughts on Groceries from Wal-Mart due to the low costs? What are advantages/disadvantages of shopping at Wal-Mart.

I tend to buy anything but meat and produce from Wal-Mart due to the fact that they don't have an onsite butcher so that you can get your own choice of meats.

>> No.3854165

>shopping at walmart
>being pretentious

You seem to be very confused

>> No.3854169

Advantages: low prices, decent quality store-brand items, good deals on meats
Disadvantages: it's wal-mart. You're going to encounter the scum of the earth there, it's unavoidable.

>> No.3854219

>>3854161
I don't prefer to shop at walmart because of the whole monopoly thing, but when it's 12 o clock and it's the only thing open in town I have no qualms with shopping there. They sell boca burgers really cheap

>> No.3854223

There is nothing wrong with it.

>> No.3854262

Nothing wrong with it, but in my experience Wal-Mart has terrible quality produce and beef.

>> No.3854285

I don't shop at Walmart.

>> No.3854317

I buy potatoes, staples (sugar, rice, flour, beans, baking soda, yeast, etc.), canned goods (pretty much tomatoes and chipotle peppers only), and hot sauce at Walmart.

I used to buy these large paper bags full of meat at the butcher. You would order "the number three" and it would come with whatever that "combo" had. Everything was in freezer paper so it could go straight into the freezer. Steaks stayed in the refrigerator and I'd eat those first. It had stuff like pork chops, ground beef, chuck roast, fresh-made sausages, bacon, etc. Talk about ultra-convenient.

Unfortunately, the quality dropped to the average supermarket. For instance, the pork chops started being sold frozen in styrofoam containers identical to the store. Sausages were dropped for lower quality hot dogs (still better than what you get in the store, but meh). Chicken was Sanderson Farms. Gaaaaaaaaaaaay.

So now I buy everything else I need at Kroger for half the price. Spices at an Indian grocery store. You can get a pound of cumin for $3. It's insane.

This city used to be great.

>> No.3854327

>shopping for food at amerifat mart

Yeah, no thanks. I do my shopping once a week at the local farmer's market.

While the rest of you are shoveling loads of wanda's macaroni salad into your snouts, I enjoy the freshest organic and locally grown produce around.

You should try your local farmer's market out instead of going to walmart.

>> No.3854332

I live in a small college town and wal-mart is the only place around for cheap groceries. I absolutely hate it.

#1 reason? FLIES CONSISTENTLY BUZZING AROUND THE PRODUCE.

>> No.3854334

You don't buy produce from Wal Mart because they don't have a butcher...?

>> No.3854341

>>3854327

Wow. Where do you live where they can grow everything you need? Isn't the variety limited? Doesn't that get boring? Have you seen a Doctor recently? How is your health?

How about the locally-produced salt, spices, yeast, vinegar, beans, flour, oil, etc.? Is the quality superb? I'm amazed you can find all of that, you awesome locavore. I need to move to this utopia.

>> No.3854357

>>3854341
Probably norcal.

>> No.3854392

>>3854327

Read: I think I'm better than all of you because my food costs five times as much.

>> No.3854416
File: 23 KB, 319x400, 1341086799173.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3854392
have you ever even been to a farmer's market? that shit is cheap as hell. At least it is near me.

>> No.3854439

I haven't been to wal mart in years. There's nothing there that I need. Aldi is cheap as hell for bulk stuff and my local grocery store is good for fresh produce, milk, eggs, etc. I honestly feel ill going into wal mart and looking at the people there.

>> No.3854448

>>3854416

I have, but around here they're not exactly the healthy, affordable, alternative-to-supermarkets that they're made out to be everywhere else. Typically what I find at the farmer's markets around here is produce of similar or lesser quality than what is found in the supermarkets for double, or triple the price. Even living in a farming intensive state that brags about the quality of its produce ("Kentucky Proud" brand), this is usually what I'm met with.

Our local Kroger supermarket sells Kentucky Proud produce that's usually fresh, and looks a lot better than what I usually find set out at Farmer's Markets. Not to mention the price is a bit more fair, and with my store card I can usually load up on the stuff for a relatively small amount.

That's not to say I don't like going to Farmer's Markets, sometimes you can get the best homemade jellies and jams, salsas, juices and candies that put anything you can buy in the store to absolute shame. It's just that they tend to be quite a bit more expensive in my experience.

>> No.3854456

I buy meat from one grocer, produce from a farm market and regular items from walmart.

I save a lot of money.

>> No.3854461

>>3854392
>buying meat and produce from walmart and not feeling inferior
There is nothing wrong with being poor but if you have the money the extra $10 on your groceries is going to be well worth it.

>> No.3854467

I have to go to wal-mart because it's the only thing within reasonable biking distance

before I moved, though, there was a farmer's market type place; food was cheap and amazing and free of ethical qualms

waaaaahhh I miss it

>> No.3854472

Advantages: cheaper than anywhere else

Disadvantages: minorities walking down the aisle in slow motion

>> No.3854531

>>3854461
Produce is cheaper at my local farmers market. That's why I make an extra trip to buy my food. Shop around.

>> No.3854534

>>3854531
You're right. But I was talking about trader joe's.

>> No.3854601

Last night I went to Target to waste some time and it was fucking cheaper than Wal Mart.

>> No.3854618

>>3854601

Well, the whole "Wal Mart is leaps and bounds cheaper than everything" mentality is so deeply ingrained in most shoppers that I doubt many of them even cross-check prices anymore.

>> No.3854652

>>3854618
was waiting for someone to say this. I'm a very cost-conscious shopper, and wally world almost NEVER comes in low enough on anything to justify the trip. they're scoring big on the too-lazy-to-think crowd.

>> No.3855802

I would have to agree on the pricing thing. However i do see a lot of people use their price matching to their advantage. I've also had wal mart cashiers price match things without me having to ask. I generally shop at my locally owned market for my food, and wal mart for toiletries and cleaning supplies.

>> No.3855803

Walmart is a a distributor for Monsanto's GMOs and other big company poisons. It's essentially the worst place possible to get food. WalMart is destroying this country's small towns. I'm sure some of you have seen the South Park episode that addresses that issue. I used to live in a small hick town in northern PA. It was a school, a church and a WalMart. At one point there were lots of stores.. but then WalMart moved in...

>> No.3855804 [DELETED] 

lel lel
local local local
farmers market
i'm a fag
herp derp i'm retarded

>> No.3855806

>>3854531
This guy.

Farmer's market is the way to go. As much as i hate hipsters and things of that nature, farmer's markets really are the best.

>> No.3855812

Toiletries? Yes. Food? Fuck no.

>> No.3855824

>>3855804
You are what is wrong with this world.

>> No.3855828

>>3855803
> I'm sure some of you have seen the South Park episode that addresses that issue.

Proof that liberals are stupid.

>> No.3855857

>>3855828
Your ad hominem disqualifies you from any valid future discussion. Well it would if it weren't for anonymous

>> No.3855862

>>3855828
They get their news from the Daily Show too.

>> No.3855863

I work in Produce at Walmart

> please wash your produce thoroughly at home before eating it.

I wash my hands like every hour and wear gloves when putting things out, but my coworkers tend to text and fiddle with their phones and then out things out without washing their hands or using gloves. That said, packaged shit is the same everywhere and I'll buy my carrots at walmart where they're a dollar cheaper, thanks.

>> No.3855864

>>3855862
Needed a break from blaming Jews for everything and decided to take a trip out of /pol/?

>> No.3855871

>>3855864
hurt burt libtard detected

>> No.3855881

>>3855863
Also we have Walmart, Copps, a Midwest chan grocery store, Aldi's, Save-A-Lot, Big Lots, a hippie co-op, a meat market, a fresh bakery, an asian food store, and a farmer's marker on saturdays, and kwik trip for milk/butter/icecream.

I shop at all of them, Walmart generally is cheaper for many of my regular purchases, plus they have Greek God's yogurt for $1 cheaper than anywhere else. Yesterday I bought 2 containers at the local chain for $2 each because the expiration date was coming up. Froze those bitches for frozen yogurt.