[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 8 KB, 252x169, greencurrypaste[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3822808 No.3822808 [Reply] [Original]

I know /ck/ hates talking about curry, but what are some good recipes utilizing curry paste that do NOT include coconut milk? I have a ton of this paste and would like some cool ideas that aren't the standard paste+coconut milk=curry formula.

I was thinking maybe use it as a rub/marinade. Would using it in a stir fry be too strong?

>> No.3822822

I've added it to cream sauces for pasta and potatoes with much success. I once made a red curry crawfish pasta using red curry paste that was absolutely delicious.

>> No.3822831

Um... what sort of curry paste? Nap hrik geng ped (Thai red curry paste) is used in many non-curry recipes such as... dumplings, fish-or-meat-cakes and to flavour grilled meats.

>> No.3822835

jungle curry

>> No.3822840

>>3822831
Thai green curry paste. Sage in a food thread on /ck/. My favorite ingredient.

>>3822822
That sounds wonderful, I'll have to try something similar.

>>3822835
Am I essentially just substituting a stock for the coconut milk? Some of the recipes I find on google still include coconut milk, which seems to defeat the purpose.

>> No.3822876

I like to mix it with peanut butter and a little sambal oelek, plus water/fish sauce/soy sauce to thin it if needed. Goes great on grilled chicken.

>> No.3822885

>>3822876
This sounds good. Do you use it as a marinade? Rub? Baste? I'm actually planning to grill a london broil top tonight and was thinking of using the paste as a rub, thinning it with soy/fish sauce.

>> No.3822886

Add a little fish sauce instead of coconut? *shrugs*

>> No.3822887

"curry paste" is garbage. Just throw it out. Curry simply means "sauce" in hindi. Honestly, what you have there for "curry paste" is just garbage that indians/pakis use to market and sell to the western world.
For you to use that paste as the starting point for cooking something is the equivalent of you starting with a bunch of taco bell sauce packets then putting expensive ingredients in (and time) and telling a Mexican that you made posole, or to start with a bunch of that salty flavored artificial chicken that comes with raman noodles and again throw in a bunch of ingredients and tell a chinaman that you made blah, blah, blah

>> No.3822888

my nigga, curry paste is essentially just a mix of spices. treat it as such and you can make your own recipes involving curry powder that don't devolve into curry.

ex: mix curry powder, rice, fried ginger garlic chiles, onions into rice and whatever meats you like and now you have curry fried rice.

dab curry powder onto fish filets with butter, wrap in aluminum foil and cook in the oven for curry fish.

stir fry is definitely a great idea. just don't forget the fried garlic and ginger.

occasionally, i dice and steam potatoes in the pan and add curry powder, fried ginger and chiles, fried tomato and onions to make curry home fries.

get creative mang

>> No.3822893

>>3822840
Hrm... you can use green curry paste to make something /similar/ to Lao kaligai (the real stuff is made with powdered stuff, not with a paste). It's basically a curry but the thing is thickened with okra water (chop up some okra, soak it in water until the water is thick and mucilagenous).
Want a recipe? I can even modify it for you for use with curry paste. How much do you have, by the way? 50g is generally enough for 4-6 servings.

>> No.3822904

>>3822887
>means sauce in hindi
Stopped reading right there since you obviously haven't the foggiest what you're talking about.

>> No.3822917

>>3822885
Sometimes I thin it out and marinade with it, mostly leave it as a thick paste and rub on before grilling. Works either way.

>> No.3822918

>>3822904
huh? Professional chef here. It's you who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. "Curry" is the bastardized mispronunciation the British picked up from their Hindi servants which in turn was originally derived from the Tamil word "kari" (கறி) which AGAIN means simply "sauce" and is entirely generic.

When the Brits later colonized much of Southeast Asia (including Thailand), they brought the Indian spices with them and the term (curry) for a sauce based in spices and chilis, and that is how you have "curry" in Thailand.

>> No.3822934

>>3822893
That would be lovely. I have most of a tub left of the paste, so no worries there. Plus, it would give me a good okra recipe.

>>3822917
Sounds good, I will try this for tonight.

>>3822887
Well, that may be the case. But I don't plan to just "throw it out." It might be cheating or whatever you like, but it's still a combination of spices and it tastes good to me. Thanks for your recommendation, however!

>> No.3822975

>>3822934
To each his or her own. However, the problem is that you are on a "cooking" board and no self-respecting cook, let alone a chef, let alone anyone in any nation where "curry" was born would even call it "curry" (as it essentially means nothing other than generic "sauce") nor would they use a pre-prepared combination of spices (a paste no less) as the basis for beginning such a dish. My point was quite simple: if you are going to take the time to come on 4chan on the cooking board and spend that amount of time soliciting (mostly beginner) cooks with very little knowledge about food at all (see the guy who told me I didn't know what curry meant), then take the time to prepare other (more costly) ingredients to incorporate into a dish, you may want to know that you are ruining the final dish by using that junk "curry paste".

>> No.3822977

>>3822934

Also, whether or not it tastes good to you is irrelevant. If you haven't taken fresh whole spices, roasted them, ground them pulled the complexities of their true aromatics, phenols, and aldehydes out via various oil frying, then using that as the basis for the FLAVOR in your dish, then you don't have mature enough taste buds to really comment on what you "like" in terms of taste.

No offense, but it is like a child saying they don't like something they haven't tried or the same child insisting they "like" chocolate without ever having tried fine belgian, swiss or german chocolates.

And by the way, MOST of the spices in curry paste have lost their flavors, plus they are full of preservatives, and probably 98% are rancid to some degree because of the oil base necessary to emulsify and concentrate them in. All the aromatic herbs are completely shot as well. Were that not enough, understand that each "curry" preparation is completely different (even the same labelled from the same manufacturer of that "curry" varies), so your chances of duplicating a recipe is zero.

>> No.3822998

>>3822918

Bud the brits didn't bring curry to Thailand. Thailand and the subcontinent have traded from time immemorial. They are fucking are fucking Hinayana Buddhists! Before that Thais were Hindu! Don't believe me, believe Angkor Wat.

>> No.3822997

>>3822975

Curry paste has a safe shelf life of only 6 months before it goes rancid, though it starts going rancid when it dumped in the jar or the tube. There is always some air for oxidation of the oils found in the spices and the oil base it is packed in, but the big problem is the aldehydes (which tends to be MOST of the flavor of any spice or aromatic) because aldehydes oxide oils rapidly. If you've ever made an infused oil, you will see that the shelf life falls dramatically due to this.

Additionally, there are health issues here. If you read the warning lable on most curry pastes, they will tell you not to consume it uncooked. This is because these things are also a breeding ground for micro-organisms to multiply to ridiculously high levels. The instance of pre-packaged "curry" preparations and food poisoning is very, very common.

Put simply, your "curry" paste is garbage. Throw it away, like I said to begin with for all the above reasons.

>> No.3822999

>>3822977
I respect and honor you're appreciation of curries.

>> No.3823002

>>3822975

Fucko the Thais even use curry paste. Next you will tell me that to make proper chinese food I can't use black bean paste since I should ferment my own.

http://importfood.com/chilipaste_cookingsauces.html

>> No.3823010

>>3823002
I was thinking he was refering to pre made jarred sauce rather than making a paste from say... Garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and spices I a processor or pestle etc...

>> No.3823013

>>3822977
While I appreciate the apparent expertise you possess, you are either incredibly arrogant or this is a high class troll effort, in which case I award you 10/10 because here I go.

>If you haven't done all these things then you don't have the right to say you like the taste of something

That's such bullshit. Are you saying anyone who hasn't learned advanced cooking techniques is unqualified to enjoy food?

>it is like a child saying they don't like something they haven't tried

When did I say I didn't like authentic indian or thai food? I said I like this. Liking one thing does NOT exclude the other.

> or the same child insisting they "like" chocolate without ever having tried fine belgian, swiss or german chocolates.

More bullshit. You're saying it's impossible to like anything other than the very highest quality product once having tried it.

>> No.3823018

>>3822918
>Tamil and Hindi are not only related languages, but the exact same language!!
nope.png
Not only are Tamil and Hindi two completely different languages and not only are they not at all mutually intelligible, they're not even remotely related.
They're as closely related as, say, Japanese and Slovenian IE not at all.
Also, Southeast Asia (including Thailand) had curry LOOOOooooooooooooooong before the Brits ever visited. Ever heard of Angkor Wat? Know what that is? It's a temple ruin in Cambodia. Guess what religion it pertains to? Go ahead. Guess. Pro tip: it's not Buddhism. And when that religion went down there, it invariably brought along some of its favoured spices.
Southeast Asian curries, Thai included, are generally unrelated to those of Indian origin. The vast majority of curries from the subcontinent are reduction style curries IE the dishes are created exclusively by reduction of the liquids involved in making them. The vast majority of curries from Southeast Asia are created exlusively by frying IE spices are fried in coconut cream until said cream breaks and the oil is floating on top, then the meat is fried in that oil, then everything else follows. With the exception of a few curries of Southwestern India (Kerala) and Bangladesh, this method is entirely absent from the subcontinent.

>> No.3823020

>>3822918
>>3823018
Even Thai yellow curry, which is most closely related to those of India and other nations of the subcontinent, has changed so drastically over the literal MILLENIUM since the introduction of subcontinental spices and foods to Southeast Asia as to be completely dissimilar from its roots and is, as stated prior, made by frying in coconut cream, unlike its Indian predecessor.

Furthermore, the word for curry in Tai-Kradai-descended languages, of which, Thai is the most famous, is 'keng,' and its cognates. The word 'keng' comes from the Hakka Chinese immigrants to Southeast Asia who's word 'keng,' means 'stew.' In a manner similar to Filipinos adopting the foreign word 'adobo' to describe a native dish older than the presence of the immigrant groups from which the name was adopted, 'keng' was adopted to describe a class of spiced, native stews.
Finally, professional chef or no doesn't make you an expert on history, linguistics, or anthropology: it's a pointless comment irrelevant to the argument claims. It's like asking an auto mechanic to program a video game. His skills as a mechanic do not relate to the skills necessary to make video games similar to how your supposed knowledge of cookery is completely unrelated to the facts of curry and its history.

>> No.3823023

>>3822998
Whatever you say.
Go read a culinary history book, or for that matter a history book in general. Maybe you're too young or uneducated to know this but the whole reason America was found by the Europeans was due to the spice trade. Columbus´ famous voyage was spurred by finding a faster trade route to bring Indian spices back to Europe, although Columbus found America instead. Queen Isabella of Spain financed that voyage because spices were worth more than gold at the time (primarily as a means of meat preservation, though flavor counted too).

You also might want to look at that gigantic mountain range bordering the Indian subcontinent and Asia (you know, the world's tallest mountain range). The Brits, Spanish and Portugeuse had mastered the seas. The Asians were running around in essentially unseaworthy vessels (for trade), and it was only when the Brits came to Thailand that "curry" was born there too. Curry is not even a Thai word. Get a clue.

>> No.3823030

>>3823018
In referencing my post, you said:
>Tamil and Hindi are not only related languages, but the exact same language!!
Yet, not only did I not even say that (which either makes you a liar, or just plain dumb), but in fact implicit in my post is that they are not the same. Go back and read it. The Brits came into India from the North. You won't find tamil in the north.

Dunce.

>> No.3823032

>>3822977
>preservatives, rancid, etc
This paste has no msg, preservatives, or artificial colors. Its ingredients are as follows:
Green chili, Lemongrass, Garlic, Salt, Galangal, Shrimp paste (shrimp, salt), Kaffir Lime Peel, Coriander Seed, Pepper, Cumin, Tumeric

Its printed expiry date is about two years from now. MFG date is two months ago. Brand name is Mae Ploy.

At this point I'm not sure any of your argument holds true.

>> No.3823037

>>3823023

If you are implying that India had no contact with Thailand before the British you are patently wrong. It is common knowledge that India and Thailand were trade partners. Its called Indochina for a reason you idiot.

>> No.3823040

>>3823030
>Yet, not only did I not even say that (which either makes you a liar, or just plain dumb), but in fact implicit in my post is that they are not the same. Go back and read it

There's been an anon that regularly debates here, like a recent addition to the board, who often does what you described. I mean like in almost every debate he/she gets into.

I wonder if this is said anon.

Also, +1 for a thread about the orgines of curry. I just cook it, had no idea of the history.

>> No.3823047

>>3823020
wut?
I can't even understand your gibberish because your thought process is completely random and as a result your writing style is incoherent.

I do know that 90% of what I did understand from what I thought you were trying to convey was just plain wrong. You weave in and out of intermingling bits of the truth to draw from that conclusions that are so broad as to border on the ridiculous.

Let me know when graduate from culinary school and have taught for years at the CIA while opening up your third successful restaurant. Then, after you get your first Michelin star, you can come back and talk shit. You have no credibility, no experience, and all you do is throw tidbits of crap you piece together from google then extrapolate that into grandiose conclusions.

>> No.3823050

>>3823047
To be fair, no one else here has any real credibility either. It's an anonymous board. Anyone can claim to be a "professional chef." I have little reason to believe a high class chef would bother even visiting this board, though.

>> No.3823054

>>3822934
Sorry for the diatribes >>3823018 >>3823020
On to your recipe!

Okra, a big handful or two (or three if you have particularly small hands)
Water, as needed
Chicken thighs, skins removed and separated, 1kg/2lbs
Curry paste, 50g
Bamboo, long type, 1-2 spears
Mushroom, 100g/4oz
Stock, broth or bouillon, 2 litres/quarts
Apple eggplants, 8
Red chillies, long and fat type, a handful
Cilantro/coriander leaf, fresh, a handful or two
Lime leaf, a handful
Fish sauce, salt and sugar, to taste

Chop up okra.
Place into a container.
Add 1 cup of water and let it sit.
Render chicken skins of their fat; meanwhile, coat thighs in curry paste.
Fry thighs in chicken render on medium heat until coloured, but not cooked through; meanwhile, julienne bamboo and slice mushrooms.
Sauté mushrooms and bamboo for a minute or so, then add stock and eggplants and up the heat to high.
When it starts to simmer, lower the heat to maintain the simmer at a gentle pace; remove the thighs to a bowl.
Allow to simmer gently until reduced in volume by about a third, then re-add thighs.
Simmer until reduced further to about a half its original volume, about 10-20 minutes; meanwhile, slice up the chilies into rounds.
Add coriander and lime leaves as well as chili rounds, then cover the pot and off the heat.
Allow it to rest while you prepare rice.
When rice is cooked, taste the curry for flavour and adjust with fish sauce, salt and sugar to suit your tastes.
If necessary, bring to a light simmer again, then off the heat.
When all simmering motion has stopped, stir in the okra water; the dish will thicken.
Serve with rice.

>> No.3823058

>>3823037
I am not implying that at all. Why not just read the plain meaning of what is written instead of trying to find minutia of what may be interpreted slightly different then latching on to that and running with it, changing the meaning, and concluding "you're wrong".

Again, if it is not clear, we're talking about "curry". You are so far off topic it's not even funny. The only reason I mentioned the origin of the word "curry" was to point out that it doesn't mean what most people think it means. In fact, it simply means sauce (or gravy). There is no such dish as "curry". There is no such spice (or combination of spices) as "curry".

>> No.3823059

>>3823040
Examples?

>> No.3823060

>>3823047
Do you have a star?

>> No.3823062

>>3823058
The fact that there such dishes as curries and such spice mixtures as curry powders stand in testamant to how wrong you are. Why are you so wrong?

>> No.3823063

>>3823047

You are an arrogant prick who might know how to cook but certainly knows nothing of the history of southeast asia from a non western perspective.

-a doctoral candidate in anthropology

>> No.3823065

>>3823054
This sounds really fantastic, thanks a bunch for the recipe. I think I'll try it this weekend, I believe I have some thighs in the freezer. Just need to pick up some okra, eggplant, etc. Might be tough to find some bamboo but I'll just check the asian market.

Thanks again, it's much appreciated.

>> No.3823067

>>3823047
Point out what's wrong, point out why it's wrong, and provide background information.
That post did all those things to the posts it was replying to, just to let you know.

>> No.3823070

>>3823058

They may be tabulated different in situ but they are a broad category in the west.

>> No.3823072

>>3823065
Very welcome.
Again, traditionally this is made with powdered spices and uses different herbs, but since you're using green curry paste, I modified it with herbs that are traditionally considered complimentary to the sorts of ingredients that go into green curry.
I hope you enjoy it!
Protip: if you reheat it, it will no longer be thick since okra's thickening ability dissipates with reheating.
If you want it thick again after reheating leftovers, add another bunch of okra water.

>> No.3823076

>>3823059
Just lurk and you'll notice how there is on poster who has a specific syntax and projects, misquotes, and improperly replies in debates.

The people/person said anon responds too often points out things like
>I never said this...
Etc...

He or she pops up quite often. Why are you asking for examples? Are you that poster?

>> No.3823077

>>3823050
>I have little reason to believe a high class chef would bother even visiting this board, though.
Obviously, you are a newfag then. I've been here for years and I personally know there are many chefs from all over that come here, though very few any more because other boards have opened up, though they don't get as much traffic, so if you are looking for an instant answer, you won't get it on most of the other boards.

The reason I am here is that it is my day off and I am running a survey on 4 different boards now, trying to get feedback as to matters affecting one of my restaurants.

Why are you here? In other words, if you believe this board only has idiots who don't know anything, then why seek cooking advice on /ck/? Would you seek medical advice on a board that no physicians went on? Would you seek legal advice from a board no lawyers went on?

>> No.3823083

>>3823076
I have no idea what you're talking about and I've been on here pretty much daily for years. I find the claim strange since I'd've been sure to notice it.

>> No.3823091

>>3823070
Agreed . . . but then again, that's where I started. Thanks for making my point.

>> No.3823096

>>3823077
>Why are you here?

Because nowhere on this entire website is meant to be a place to get advice from professionals. It is to discuss hobbies. I assume there are other cooking hobbyists here. Not necessarily a star chef but someone who enjoys making and eating various kinds of food. You don't visit /sp/ to talk to pro athletes.

>> No.3823101

>>3823083
Must simply have missed those threads or posts. Most of us have the ability to read posts, comprehend the posts and respond to what was in the post.

This anon as I said misquotes, projects, doesn't reply correctly, and inferes that people meant or posted information that wasn't.

The first example may be the post I refered to ITT. Not sure why you're so concerned about some random new shitposter? Keep an eye out... You'll probably notice it.

>> No.3823104

>>3823091

You then tried to claim the broad category didn't exist. Just because it can be reduced further doesn't mean it is invalid. That is like saying the genus canis doesn't exists since there are dogs and wolves.

>> No.3823108

>>3823070
Agreed . . . but then again, that's where I started. Thanks for making my point.

Btw, go read Chef McDang's book Principles of Thai Cooking and you will find that no recipes start with "curry" paste, but rather with a mortar and pestle. He goes so far as to say that the basic principle of Thai cooking is that “one of the things to understand Thai cooking is to realise that the knife is not that important”. You always start by pounding and grinding the spices one at a time. You do the same for Indian cuisine.

There are no curry pastes, and yet again for the umptienth millionth time, they all laugh when someone calls it "curry". It is only in the Western world that this is done, and to a small extent in some Indian and Thai restaurants that cater to anglo customers (tourist traps).

If you want it to taste good, start with raw spices. This is literally more important than the quality of the proteins or vegetables you might use when you are talking about Indian or Thai cuisine.

>> No.3823117

>>3823108
but what if said paste is literally just the same spices, ground up for you? because that is literally what it is. are you the same person who gets mad at people for using dried spices?

>> No.3823118

>>3823108
... and that mortar and pestle is used to make...?

>> No.3823126

>>3823101
Yes. I have noticed that idiot around here lately so I can verify your sense as well.

I'm thinking that you are right and it's this idiot:
>>3823030
>>3823104

He seems to want to debate for the sake of debate. Apparently has endless time on his hands. Derails a thread. Goes way off topic. Internet hero/genius in his mind but back in reality he is just a loser.

>> No.3823133

>>3823108
>>3823108

ca ri ga

yup vietnam sure is western

yup thais would never domestically produce curry paste...they are so third world they sit around slaving over raw ingredients....there is no such thing as golden mountain sauce and it has no use in a thai kitchen too since it isn't prepared by hand...

http://importfood.com/chilipaste_cookingsauces.html

>> No.3823137

>>3823126
You think it's the guy claiming to be the "professional chef" from >>3822918 ?
If I'm following the thread correctly, those two posts you reference are his.

>> No.3823138
File: 26 KB, 520x300, Chef-Gordon-Ramsay.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've got an hour or so kids, so:

ITT: Get cooking advice from a professional chef.

Mastered: French, Italian, Mexican, Indian, Vietnamese, Thai, Serbian.
Presently working on: Assyrian.

>> No.3823141

>>3823126

Fuck you. My comment on genus and species relation is relevant. It was meant to show that curry as a broad category is still valid even if it doesn't exist as such in India or Thailand.

The other post you linked...is not mine and I agree that it is shit.

>> No.3823142

>>3823138
what's your favorite recipe for microwave brownies?

>> No.3823143

>>3823126
Yeah, maybe... But at least someone else has picked up on this poster. Screencapped cuz imma fagoot.

>> No.3823144

>>3823137
Also, biohazard symbol guy seems to think that it's some other person rather than the "professional chef" who derails threads. I'm inclined to think it's the "professional chef" poster since he's been doing it the entire thread.

>> No.3823145

>>3823126
>>3823101

Been watching this thread, and I know the guy you mean. He'll occasionally go ballistic on random topics and adds personal rage to non-provocative topics for no apparent reason. Has a very distinct writing style. Maybe he decided /ck/ is a good place to verbally attack strangers without consequences, but it seems a strange choice.

>> No.3823148

>>3823145
Okay, yeah, then I know what you're talking about. The style seems identical to the "professional chef" claimant, no?

>> No.3823151

>>3823138
Sorry, started a new thread so as not to take the curry discussion off topic.
>>3823147

>> No.3823157

>>3823142
I don't want to derail this thread anymore so I've started a new one
>>3823147

>> No.3823439

Mix it with apple sauce and make a rub for pork roast or a chutney to top chops or a sauce to go with meatballs. Potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, onion, leeks, raisins, dried apricots, dried currants and pistachios work great as other ingredients.