[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 435 KB, 170x127, 1344186550140.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3815339 No.3815339[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hello /ck/,

I hail from /fit/. I am a college student and trying to learn to cook. I can cook fine if I have a recipe in front of me but I need some good, not terribly difficult, recipes that I can make and that won't cost to much. High protein and vegetables a plenty are the best. I can't stand tomatoes but just about anything else I can live with. Anyways do you guys have any starting recipes or preferably a book or something I can use to get me started on cooking on my own? Thanks! Pic Unrelated.

>> No.3815357

bump

>> No.3815367

http://ck.booru.org/

>> No.3815378

>>3815367
Also

>Google
>Books a million
>Barnes and Noble

>> No.3815379

>>3815378
I was just wondering if you guys had any recommendations. I have certainly looked around online for books but they are usually meh in reviews and just hoped someone on this board had ones in particular.

>> No.3815393

>>3815367
Thanks, these look great.

>> No.3815411
File: 135 KB, 800x600, shchi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i've got just the thing anon, it is one of my favorite dishes and is high in protein and veggies. it is called shchi, and is a traditional russian soup. imagine a beef stew but with better veggies. as long as you can cut vegetables then its pretty hard to fuck this up

what you will need:
a pound or so of stew meat
one potato, cubed
one turnip, skinned and cubed
one white onion, diced
one bulb of garlic, crushed
two carrots, sliced
one largish parsnip, sliced
two leeks, sliced
one medium head of cabbage, shredded
a cup or two of mushrooms, sliced
some chopped parsley
salt and pepper
two cans of beef broth (or better yet make your own)
some dill seed
a tub of sour cream

alright start out by browning your meat, sautee your garlic as you brown the beef. add the beef, garlic, two cans of beef broth, chopped onion, salt, pepper, and a few cups of water to your pot. cover and cook on very low heat for maybe 3 hours. open it up, stir, and add all of your chopped vegetables. add salt and pepper until the liquid is seasoned to your liking. cover and cook for another 3-4 hours on very low heat. by this point it should be cooked. laddle it into a bowl and garnish it with some chopped parsley, a teaspoon of dill seed, and a tablespoon of sour cream on top. trust me on the sour cream, it will really mellow out the taste and will provide a bit of fat and calcium.

and there you have it! the best thing about this recipe is how healthy and delicious it is, but also that there is no perfect way to make it. you can vary the amounts of each veggie and stuff. packed full of vitamins, fibers, and proteins, it is a low calorie, hearty, and inexpensive meal. oh ya, and it gets even better when it "strikes", it tastes best 2-3 days after its made. one pot lasts me about a week. good luck!!!

>> No.3815421

>>3815411
forgot to add the herbs to that recipe. use whatever fresh or canned herbs you can afford. i like fresh sage and rosemary and thyme.

>> No.3815426
File: 92 KB, 432x504, 1344466154978.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3815411
That looks beautiful, thank you!!

>> No.3815439

1 can cream of chicken
4 boneless chicken breasts
paprika
pepper
salt
garlic powder
1 cup of rice
1 cup of water

Mix rice, water, soup, and spice together. place in 9 x 11 roasting pan. season chicken and place on top of rice. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes.

>> No.3815443
File: 9 KB, 320x240, 06114132_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3815439
........i hope this is a lame joke.

>> No.3815450

Make a big pot of chili. You can make a 12 portion pot in one go easily, with 2 lbs ground beef. The portions would cost you around 1-2 dollars per portion.

>> No.3815482

>>3815450
>1-2 dollars per person

not if you make chili the right way, amigo. i'm not too stuck up to eat a chili that is 50% beans and hamburger meat but it pales hard in comparison to the real deal. i'm just weird about chili, if i have to make something cheap to feed a ton of people then i'll just make something else. where i come from chili is a delicacy. but to each their own, not gonna lie i've had some good bean chilis.

if you do wanna make good cheap chili op, do try using cubes of chuck roast in lei of ground beef. it might sound weird but ya gotta trust me. even beans won't even ruin a chili made with chuck roast, its all good.