[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 24 KB, 400x326, new hatch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3803435 No.3803435[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Good evening /ck/!

I just walked to the store to get some cheese for quesadilas later and I saw that they had a big display of hatch chiles in the store entrance. They were pretty cheap so I bought three of them to use in my quesadilla. The thing is I've never cooked with them before. How should I prepare them as a filling for my quesadilla? I usually see them being roasted. Should I roast them first, or will the be good if I just chop them up like a regular pepper? Do I need to remove the skin?

Please let me know the best way /ck/, they smell wonderful and I can't wait for a hatch chili quesadilla. I'll also be adding chopped onion, shredded cheddar, some Tapatio, and maybe some sour cream and salsa to dip them in.

K thanks!!!!

>> No.3803455

They'll be better roasted. If you have a gas stove just turn it on and roast them over the flame, otherwise throw them into a dry skillet and flip when they start to char. Let cool and pull the skin off.

>> No.3803474

>>3803455
Thanks. I do have a gas stove so it should be easier. How charred should they be before the skin is easy to remove? Also, does it matter if they are a bit wrinkled? I live in the ghetto and our produce is always shit here (when we have produce), the only chiles they still had were sort of wrinkled and shriveled. I got some anyway because wrinkled bell peppers still taste ok, I figured these were similar.

>> No.3803476

Roast them or don't, doesn't much matter.
I'd slice them, raw, into rounds, salt said rounds and let'em sit while you prep quesadilla fixings.
When you're just about to start putting your 'dillas together, rinse the rounds in fresh-drawn water, drain, squeeze dry, rinse again, drain again and squeeze dry again.
Place half the amount of cheese you intend to use for your 'dilla, top with a sprinkling of as much/many of the chile slices as you think you'd like/be able to handle, then top with the other half of the amount of cheese you were intending to use.
Make 'dillas as normal and enjoy.

>> No.3803485

>>3803474
While you roast you should see the skin bubbling and blistering, it only needs to be charred in a few spots for flavor.

>> No.3803487

>>3803476
Thanks, sounds great. How hot are they? My favorite pepper is serrano, so as long as they aren't a ton spicier than that then I should be able to eat lots of them. Sorry about the Hatch newfagishness, I've always stuck with jalapeno, serrano, and the occasional chopped habanero.

>> No.3803522

>>3803487
They're supposed to be about an eight as hot as a comparable weight of serranos. They're about as hot as jalapeño, give or take.

>> No.3803524

check out my thread here
>>3800491
I have links to how I made green chili sauce if you want to choose one.

>> No.3803554

>>3803476
>Roast them or don't, doesn't much matter.

I have to strenuously disagree with this.
I know everyone on the internet is always trying to prove cred and its always bullshit BUT.
It is a fact that I freeze and eat over 100 pounds of this stuff a year. YOU MUST ROAST THEM!!

And how the fuck are you guys getting them already? They must be coming up from mexico because the New Mexican ones are not quite ready yet.

>> No.3803562

>>3803522
Ok good, then I'll be able to use an entire chile per quesadilla. I hope they taste as good as they smell, oh lord, I've been huffing the bag since I got em.
>>3803554
I plan to roast them on my stove and chop them up. I'm not sure where they came from, I forgot to look at the COO tag. I got mine in Texas. And about freezing....do you freeze them before or after roasting? Because I love chile peppers in food and if these taste anything like they smell I may be storing some for later in the year. Also when is the best time to buy them? You mentioned them not being in season yet, so if I do freeze some what month should it be?

>> No.3803577

>>3803554
Why ZOMG MUST ROAST THEM?
It's likely hogwash, whatever reason you give. Roasting is fine and adds flavour, but why would you say is ZOMG ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY?

>> No.3803588

>>3803577
OP here. Its okay, I would like to hear everybodies opinion. And you are the only person here typing in caps and making a big scene. I will try them roasted and unroasted, but if they are indeed better roasted then I can understand people pushing me towards roasting.

>> No.3803612

>>3803588
I meant it more in a playful teasing manner than in an outright chiding manner.
I'm hoping that other poster isn't offended. I truly am curious to know why s/he would say that roasting is the only way and why to never eat them raw or salted.

>> No.3803619

>>3803577
I am a traditionalist from northern NM where most of this stuff is consumed.
I have lived here for many many years and I have never seen anyone cook with them without roasting first.
I am not saying it will kill you or even taste bad, it simply is not done

>> No.3803626

>>3803619
OP here, and I will be taking your word and roasting them later this evening. I like unconventional styles of cooking but I have alot of respect for traditionalists, especially when the food is native to their state or area. I'm a Texan and am nearly autistic about traditional chili, I cringe when I see beans and ground meat. Being so close to TX you guys are probably pretty cool, so I'll follow tradition and roast em like a NewMexicanfag.

>> No.3803633

You must roast them before you freeze them but you can choose to peel them before or after freezing.
They are a little easier to peel once you thaw them out.

>> No.3803646

Oh and another reason to roast is because the skin is really thick , much thicker than a bell pepper or jalapeno. If someone does a poor job of peeling them it really buggers up the dish.
You cant peel without roasting

>> No.3803649

>>3803619
OIC. I've yet to travel to NM. I'm not even native to the US, but love the cuisine here (strange, huh? a European admitting to liking American cuisine? And a Italian/Swiss one at that? whoa).
I see hatch at the Korean market all the time and I cook with it. It's become my chile of choice for adding to gulyás and other dishes.

>> No.3803663

>>3803649
Thanks for not being a dick and admitting to actually enjoying some American food. People like you make me look more favorably on Europe. Once you get past the fast food and big chain restaurants our stuff is actually damn tasty. I just wanted to say thanks for being open minded, many people I've met and talked to from Europe are big time stiff-asses.

>> No.3803675

>>3803663
>>3803663

This. Every. Fucking. Word.

>> No.3803679

>>3803663
Nah. They just pretend to be.
Admittedly, I'm still somewhat of a "stiff-ass," as you say, when it comes to a bunch of things such as espresso; hard to get a good one here.
Also sauerkraut; I can get American-style easily (I HATE AMERICAN-STYLE SAUERKRAUT! VINEGAR HAS NO PLACE IN IT!!!) as well as Polish-style, but it's impossible to find Italian or Swiss-style sauerkraut (with juniper, garlic, laurels, black peppercorn and pancetta). I have to make it myself.

Once people get past the idea of finding their home cuisines intact in some other, foreign culture and delve into the local food, they tend to be much less prickish. Doesn't mean I won't miss sauerkraut and espresso, amongst a few other things.

>> No.3803737

>>3803679
That is quite alright, you are a cool Euro-anon. I know if I moved to Europe I would miss the hell out of the delicious foods and regional ingredients I grew up on in the states, but I would also delve into whatever good foods are available to me over there and keep my mind open. I'm sure there are equally delicious foods to be found in every country in Europe and I sure as hell wouldn't waltz in complaining about how there is no Texas BBQ or good tacos. Anyways, thanks for reassuring me that Europeans aren't all twats that are too proud to admit enjoying American food. You are a good Euro and we happily accept ones such as yourself.

>> No.3803783

>>3803679
Kraut with *bacon* in it...? That's a new one on me.

I'm intrigued, though. I'll try that my next batch. Maybe.

>> No.3803824

Ok OP here. I just roasted my pepper, I hope I didn't roast it too much. Most of the outside was covered in black blisteres with a few green spots still on it. I now have it sealed in a small tupperware container so that it can steam and loosen the skin. It made my apartments smell badass, it's better than incense. Then need to start making Hatch chile incense. I'll let yal know how it comes out, I'm starting to crave that quesadilla.

>> No.3803832

>>3803679
What brand of kraut are you buying that has vinegar in it? Granted, I live in Wisconsin with a high German population, and have never seen such a thing.

>> No.3803856

>>3803737
I'm sure if it ever happens that I move back home, I'll miss a number of American foods. I know I'll miss collards.
I prepared collards for the first time my first year cooking the American traditional meal: Thanksgiving. I had a Thai roommate at the time and was (and still am, actually; five years now) dating an American nigra (dat ASS, let me tell you).
I prepared the collards in the manner that I know to prepare all tough greens, with onions, fat, smoked meat and chilies. The Thai roommate ate about half the batch (no small feat considering I started with three pounds of collards). My s/o, having Southern roots, ate them and thought they were delicious.
I have since modified that original recipe slightly, using chopped bacon to fit both the smoked meat and the fat requirement. Makes for delicious, stewed collards that are sweet, smoke-y and perfectly spicy (from chilies). The waifu still loves collards the way I cook them.
While I love barbecue, that's becoming increasingly common in both Italy and Switzerland, so I know I won't have too much trouble finding it in a few years' time, but raw ingredients like collards, ramps, wild rice and "breakfast sausage" will be nigh-on impossible.
>>3803783
Pancetta, specifically. Not bacon. Bacon is not meant for raw consumption. Get some cubes of pancetta and use that. Tirolese speck from Northeastern, Alpine Italy is preferred, but pancetta is easier to come by and cheaper. While I've never made it with lardo/rückenspeck/slanina/szalonna, I'm sure it would be delicious with that, too.

>> No.3803868

>>3803832
I live on the east coast. I haven't bought sauerkraut in years, but the majority of brands, available in this area, regardless of who makes it, are made with vinegar. Aldi's Deutsche Küche brand is the only one I find palatable that is available here and even then, it's just plain; no garlic, no juniper, no laurels, no peppercorns, no nothing.

>> No.3803880

>>3803824
>>3803824
You nailed it OP. Your life is about to change.

>> No.3803885
File: 32 KB, 570x426, HenrysKitchen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An OP that's not a retard? Stay for as long as you'd like.

>> No.3803886

>>3803880
Let us know how the heat is.It should be pretty fucking hot, about like the hottest jalapeno you ever had and waaaay hotter than those mild ones folks make poppers out of.
Of course if you got extra hot and its for real, it should be hot enough to fuck you right the fuck up, They get up to half a million on the scoville scale.

>> No.3803888

>>3803856
god DAMN. are you sure you are from europe?! collard greens? chili peppers? bacon fat? nigra waifu? you sound like a cool euro who doesn't afraid of anything. if you're into traditional nigra soul foods, you have GOT to try some oxtail. ask you're GF, i think she'll know. they are getting expensive so i've gotten to where I'll go into the meat market and buy the entire tail. just ask em to show some to you, pick the one that looks good, and have em cut it to the desired thickness. if your waifu is legit soulful full bred nigra, take her with you to help. talk about some good eats on a sunday.

>inb4 anon is a nigger

i'm white as fuck, but grew up in close proximity to black folk. dat soul food is nothing to fuck with. gimme some oxtail, fried chicken, greens, okra, some biscuits, and a fucktoon of bacon grease brown gravy.

>> No.3803894

>>3803856
You're an awesome dude. Keep on keeping on.

>> No.3803892

>>3803886
this is a bullshit post. fuck off.

>> No.3803895

>>3803886
Hatch chiles aren't that hot. They're slightly hotter than an Anaheim chile, which is below jalapeno on the Scoville scale.

>> No.3803912

OP back. I just took all the char and skin off of the pepper, I have it hanging out on the table right now. Is it crucial that I de-seed it and remove the membrane? I don't care if the seeds are hot, I thrive on spicy foods. I'll eat serranos like they are candy. Does removing the insides serve a purpose other than heat reduction?

>> No.3803915

>>3803912
Just slice it and get rid of the seeds. Seeds are shit and indigestible. The membrane is what actually has the heat, not the seeds.

Seed it.
Chop it.
Quesadilla it.

>> No.3803920

>>3803895
Hatch come in five rating
the mild is like you say and that is what you will get outside of NM.

Extra hot varies from year to year and is hard for the growers to keep consistent.

There is green chile grown in Penasco NM (up north) That has clocked in at 500,000 .Hotter than a scotch bonnet.
These are rare though.

>> No.3803922

>>3803915
yes SIR! on to the chopping and seeding.

>> No.3803929

>>3803915
>>3803915
>>3803915
This anon is correct

>> No.3803932

>>3803922
I usually skip the chopping for a quesadilla

>> No.3803937

>>3803932
too late. I just seeded, rinsed, and chopped em. they are sitting on a paper towel now to soak up some water before I cook.

>> No.3803941

>>3803937
Post pics of final product, you rare, non-retarded OP.

>> No.3803942

>>3803888
>sure you're from europe
My passport and citizenship confirm this, but I grew up in Southeast Asia. My parents were diplomats. As such, I speak Italian and German with a slight foreign accent, though most people can't generally place it. I was once called out on it by a Swiss woman I met here in town ("Are you from Indonesia or something?" "Yeah, something like that.")
I get excited to speak to people in Swiss German because I can't talk to my family every day and I feel like I'll forget it if I don't practise. Waifu gets upset when I talk in Swiss-German, Italian or my mom's Italo-Greek pidgin and refuses to answer when I do, despite understanding me to some degree or other. Le sigh.

Anyway, onto more /ck/-related things: I grew up with plenty of oxtail; one of my favourite oxtail dishes is something like a curry though it's made with peanut butter. For more traditional, European recipes, there's always Italian oxtail soup: oxtail, water, simmer, skimming scum as necesary, until the broth is delicious, then remove oxtail and set it aside.
Sauté some chopped carrot, onion and rib celery in olive oil with a smushed up tomato or two, add the oxtail broth, simmer a little, salt to taste and, finally, add a handful of celery and parsley leaves (or just lovage/levistico; it tastes like the halfway point between celery and parsley, but stronger/more potent), then salt to taste.
Cover the pot then off the heat while you boil small pasta.
Place cooked pasta into bowls.
Add an oxtail segment.
Top off with soup.
Top /that/ off with grated cheese.
Top /that/ off with fresh-ground pepper.
Delicious.

>> No.3803943

>>3803942
Oh, and outside of Jamaican cuisine, I don't know how the blacks of the Americas prepare oxtail.
My mom lived in Kenya, Somalia and Ethiopia before I was born, so I'm aware of their preparations of oxtail (which are unsurprisingly similar, though not identical, to Jamaican, anyway), but haven't the foggiest how American blacks make it.
>>3803894
Thank you.

>> No.3803949

I am wishing I had roasted 2 chiles, once I cut it up it looks like alot less than it looked like when it was whole. Oh well, I still have 2 more that I can use tomorrow.

>> No.3803966
File: 406 KB, 1600x1200, Hatch Chile Festival 27.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3803949
Oh I thought you had three pounds!
Three chiles is about one large serving.

Out here you get a 35 pound burlap sack for about 15 bucks with free roasting in one of these

>> No.3803977
File: 16 KB, 502x302, colorado_flag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw my chest freezer is dedicated to keeping hatch chiles year round.

>> No.3803979

>>3803966
No that was another anon who bought 3 pounds. I just bought 3 chiles, maybe 1/3 pound because I've never had them. If they taste as good as they are smelling right now I'll probably walk to the store and buy 3 pounds tomorrow lol. Anyways, the quesadilla is cooking and the smells in my apt are making my mouth water. I have it cooking on very low heat, I'm weird and like to cook quesadillas slowly. It sweats out the veggies and the flavors all mix together better.

>> No.3803982

OP we all love you but you are the slowest cook I have ever heard of ! You have been at this kwesadiya all damn evening.

>> No.3803983

>>3803982
Lol! its true! If you think I'm slow on here you should meet me in real life. My nickname is "cold syrup". I talk slow, I move slow, I cook slow, It takes me hours to do something that would take you 20 minutes. But its all good, I don't understand everyone rushing. If your gonna bother to do something, might as well do it slow and right :) Anyways the quesadillas are still slow cooking, I give it another 10-20 mins and they'll be ace.

>> No.3803988

I wish you guys could smell this shit! Slow frying quesadilla in butter, dat onion and hatch chile, dos bits of cheese leaking out and browning in the butter, dos dashes of tapatio melting and melding and mixing w the cheese, onion juice and chile essence. dat little pinch of fresh chopped cilantro that i didn't know i had but i found it in my fridge and it still smelled and looked fresh.

gaaaawd damn!

>> No.3803996
File: 204 KB, 800x800, 5385078929_ae487f1774_b__55347_zoom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3803983
>Another 10 to 20 min

Oh god my sides! OP you are one odd and funny dude.
I am going to make a corn quesadilla and go to bed, I cant stay up any longer.
Good luck.

>> No.3804000

I thinks it's cooked long enough, I just turned up the heat. Time to get some brown crisp on this motherfucker! I give it 5 mins and it will be FUCKING PERFECT. OH, DAT SMELL! CANTCHA SMELL DAT SMELL!!!!!!

>> No.3804005

>>3804000
This is no joke cold syrup, I just made a quesadilla and fed my dog since my last post.And now going to bed.
Rock on slowly OP!

>> No.3804013

It is done! Oh my god, it looks.......perfect. In every way. The smell is beyond mortal words. I cannot elaborate. The look, it is like looking upon the great pyramids with a head full of acid, contemplating every angle, every miniscule component that is part of the whole. The texture.....oh lord the texture. I am letting cool, but I have taken one bite. Imagine taking a bite of the Earth. Immediately you feel the crusty exterior, which soon gives way to the semi-solid mantle. Beneath that is the molten outer core of cheese, and within lies the solid inner core of onion and hatch chile. As I continue biting through these layer play out in reverse until I finally hit the crusty exterior on the other side.

>> No.3804020
File: 26 KB, 295x270, gillign2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3804013
>a three hour quesadilla
>a three hour quesadilla

>> No.3804040

>>3804013
>>3804013
>>3804013
>>3804013

Go on, now, chew it up

>F5

>> No.3804056

This is a quesadilla worthy of the God's. I would kneel down and serve this dish to our creator if the creator indeed exists. This quesadilla is a testament to our species. Like the Earth it is rugged, hostile, made of readily available components. And like our dear Earth it is perfect for it's time and place. It has it's flaws but it serves it's purpose, and in the end that is all we should ask of anything. Yes, theoretically it could be better. But considering what I had to work with, it is as good as it could possibly be given these basic ingredients with which to work with. I have taken basic and common ingredients out of the maelstrom and slowly and naturally combined them into a whole, carefully adding each one at the proper time and place and cooking them slowly at the right temperature.

I feel as though I have created an attractive and habitable space in my skillet. I let it cool and mature, and swallowed that bitch in 5 minutes.

FUCK that was a good quesadilla. I didn't even miss the meat. Dos hatch chiles gave flavor like you wouldn't believe, 10X more badass flavor than any other chili I've tasted, but I didnt' get even a touch of heat. Tomorrow I'll add some chopped serrannos and maybe a bit of habanero or some superhotsauce, like da bomb maybe. I'll probably just add some habanero for heat and 2X as much Hatch for the flavor.

I will never use bell pepper again. I plan on buying pounds of Hatch chili, roasting and freezing them. They are even better tasting than they smelled when fresh.

OOOOOOOOOOO

>> No.3804083

>>3804056

You are a God and a Creator.

I bow before you.

>> No.3804247

>>3804056

God, my mouth is watering, thanks OP. There is something in the soil/climate in Hatch, NM, that makes these chiles so damn awesome.

Used to live in El Paso, and during August/September (when the crop starts to come in) our grocery stores would have 10lb bags of hatch chilies in the front for 10 bucks. They even have those black iron roasters out front and roast them for free. My grandma and I would take them home and roast them there instead so they would not sweat too long during transportation (and the house smelled godly for the next few days). We would save fresh ones for that week, and then roast and prep the rest for freezing or the fridge. Most people roast those chilies because the skin is very think as stated above, and some people get sick after eating them, just remember to keep your fingertips your eyes during the process. Keep the membrane in if you want more heat, and do not sweat them too much if you want to do chiles rellenos, or they can easily split all over the place while you try to stuff them, plus mushy chiles kinda suck IMO.
Another thing, I was taught that hatch chiles with pointed ends were hotter, and chiles with rounder, more blunt ends were milder, but can anyone confirm this? I always had mixed results on the web.

And grats on your godly quesadillas, you wonderfully non-retarded OP!

>> No.3804248

>>3804247

....skin is very thick*....

Damnit.

>> No.3804425

OP back, I sort of went into a 3 hour quesadilla coma after dinner, that's how good it was. Seriously, I've been sleeping for 2-3 hours now. Thank everyone here for the support and for being friendly, you guys are me comrades and I got lots of good tips for cooking my chilis. They were most definitely god tier and I will soon be buying and roasting POUNDS AND POUNDS of them. I was a bit dissapointed in the heat, which was non-existant, but perhaps later in the season some spicier varaieties will be available. Heat aside, the flavor was easily 10/10, no doubt it was among the best tasting veggies I've ever experienced and I can see it improving damn near every food that it goes into.

Anyways, thank you anons. I love you, /ck/~~!!!!!!!!

>> No.3804492

>>3803619
Well, if that's how you do it in NM, obviously there is no chance in hell that any other valid ways of doing it exist! Thanks!

>> No.3804524

>>3804425
Most of the chiles that come from mexico and the ones grown in NM that get shipped out of state are very mild. This may change as green chile becomes more popular outside NM .