[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 40 KB, 800x800, somekindofstrangeegg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3797937 No.3797937 [Reply] [Original]

I picked one of these up when doing some grocery shopping, I've never seen one of these before in person and I have no idea what to do with it. I am scared and confused. Help me, /ck/!

>> No.3797947

>>3797937
cut in half, scoop out guddy works, put butter and brown sugar on fleshy bits, cook in oven till soft

>> No.3797945

cut it open, clean out the seeds and stringy goo,put it in a casserole dish, cut it into slices with the flesh facing up, put butter salt and pepper on it,put some water in the dish (half way up the side of the dish), and roast in the middle of the oven at 400 degrees F until tender. Puree, mix with broth and spices. soup.

>> No.3797963
File: 2.91 MB, 2880x2160, pasta e zucca p1130093.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cut in quarters.
Remove icky bits.
Remove flesh from shell.
Cut flesh into cubes; set aside.
Heat up a goodly amount of olive oil with a smashed flat garlic clove or three and some chilies, dry or fresh, to taste.
When fragrant, watch for the first sign of the garlic blonding; when it blondes, add the cubed pumpkin.
Sauté for a few minutes, then add water to cover.
Bring to the boil, then lower the heat to maintain the barest possible simmer.
Simmer until the pumpkin is softened, then using a spoon, press it against the sides of the pot.
Salt to taste then off the heat.
Stir in a bunch of hand-torn fresh parsley and set the pot aside.
In a separate pot, boil pasta in salted water to desired doneness.
Drain and place back into the now-empty pasta pot, set over medium heat.
Add a bunch of pumpkin sauce and toss to coat pasta.
Serve.
Pic related.

>> No.3797966
File: 43 KB, 500x375, pasta e cucozza DSC011051.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3797963
Another picture of pasta with pumpkin, a little soupier (I tend to prefer this type).

>> No.3797968

>>3797945
That sounds like good advice, I can work with that!

>>3797947
Sounds sweet and desserty, I've never had much of a sweet tooth but I'll try it anyways!

Any more advice on what kind of dishes I can use this for, /ck/? This baby weighs about 3 kg so I believe there's enough to try out a couple of more dishes other than soup and baking it with sugar.

>> No.3797969

Alternatively, save the seeds, wash off the gooey stringy bits, and roast them in your oven after tossing them with butter and salt.

They make a great snack.

>> No.3797971

Pumpkins can be cooked like any squash.

>> No.3797972

is this some pumpkin squash or just straight up pumpkin?

cause either way, op, you're in for a treat, this shit is fucking delicious.

Imma go buy some right now

>> No.3797973

>>3797963
That sounds fantastic! Saved, and totally picking up some fresh parsley to try that tomorrow!

>> No.3797984

>>3797972
I can't rightly say what it is. It was just marked as "pumpkin" at the fruit and veggies section of the store I went to. I live in northern Scandinavia so this thing is rare and exotic by my standards.

>> No.3797987
File: 105 KB, 350x578, cucuzza rossa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3797973
I'm glad you think it sounds good. It's one of my favourite foods. Our cuisine is pretty simple, but pretty delicious.
Traditionally, this was made with Old-world gourds, but once the superior squash came to Europe, we took to it like cancer to a prostate.
In some dialectical varieties of Italian, particularly the one from my region, we refer to pumpkin by the name of the Old-world gourd we used to use before pumpkin came over from the Americas, almost completely forgetting about the original variety.
Some Roman writer or other considered it to be one of several plants included in what would be the ideal garden.
Pic related: it's the original gourd used for this dish.

>> No.3798007

>>3797984
In America, we buy them so we can carve scary faces into them, scoop out the insides, put a candle in it and put it in front of our homes to ward off witches as part of the Halloween festivities.

Then teenagers come around and kick them to pieces.

>> No.3798020

>>3798007
Hence the band "Smashing Pumpkins." Terrible.

>> No.3798023

>>3798007
Thanks to popular culture I am aware of this practice. Also thanks to popular culture the whole halloween thing is starting to catch on here, especially with the kids, and I've seen a pumpkin or two around halloween for that reason.
Until today I've never really thought about it's uses in cooking, so tomorrow when I have time to cook it up will be a culinary adventure for me.

>> No.3798035

>>3798023
Pumpkins are interesting.
They're basically a tasty oversized squash, so any recipes using squash can be easily adjusted to use pumpkin.
They're cheap as hell, grow just about anywhere with sunlight and decent water access and grow fast, so they can easily be a staple item in lean winter months.
They only need 6 hours of sunlight, and grow in the fall season best.

They also make a fine pie.

>> No.3798075

make sure you roast the seeds op

>> No.3798087

>>3798075
Oh, right, I forgot about that.
I like to deep fry rather than roast, but either way is delicious.

>> No.3798123

>>3798075
>>3798087
OP here, I will make sure to keep the seeds!

I was completely stumped on what to do with this thing and you give me all these great tips and recipes. I'll probably have to go back to the store and buy more pumpkins while they're still in stock to make sure I get to try out everything you recommended. You're all great! Thanks!

>> No.3798189

>>3798123
Pie is the quintessential pumpkin dish, but soup is delicious too, as is pumpkin bread.

There's a ton of recipes for pumpkin things, Americans eat a lot of them in the fall.

>> No.3798209

>>3798189
>pie
Gross.
I just really don't like American pumpkin pie. Or sweet potato pie. Or American apple pie, for that matter. Nor persimmon pie. Nor any other pie that uses that combination of spices often called 'pumpkin spice' but would best be called 'fall spice' or 'autumn spice.'

I do like to make pumpkin pie, though: I make it with pumpkin, vanilla, sweetened condensed milk, flour and eggs. I make it like a custard and fill a pie shell with it. This way, it tastes like pumpkin without covering up the pumpkin-flavour with a ton of spices. Maybe it's just me, but I think all the fall spice pies, save apple, all taste the same (I suspect it's not just me as Alton Brown, blessing be upon Him, the Prophet of /ck/, thinks sweet potato and pumpkin pies to taste identical).

Ever have an unspiced pumpkin pie? It's delicious.

>> No.3798254
File: 25 KB, 436x276, 4881[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I didn't read all the threads, but it seems the general opinion is this is a type of pumpkin. Well, it's not...it's a red curry squash. A quasi-flavorful squash typically used in, well, curries.

I would cut it in half, de-seed it, and roast it. Then scoop the flesh out and use as desired, whether in curry, savory pie, or whatever.

>> No.3798281

Koreans make a soup/porridge type thing out of pumpkins. Savory/sweet, and one of the most awesome of all autumn dishes. Hobakjuk, it's called.

>> No.3798292

>>3798254
Still a pumpkin.