[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.30 MB, 799x4450, Spaghetti Carbonara.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3787510 No.3787510[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/. I was wondering if maybe you could help me out. I don't have much food until I get my paycheck and can go shopping. I have a shitload of pasta though, and wanted to make some alfredo sauce. I found this recipe, but I don't have any parmesan cheese. I do have a bit of cheddar, a whole package of american, and some provolone and monterrey jack. Would any of those be good substitutes? Alternatively, does anyone have some decent alfredo recipes that don't need lots of ingredients? I do have some cream cheese, milk, and a bunch of spices.

Pic somewhat related. It's a terrific spaghetti carbonara recipe I found somewhere on 4chan.

>> No.3787512

>cream in carbonara

>> No.3787516

>>3787512
It was good when I ate it.

>> No.3787521

just make a cheese sauce. a table spoon of butter, a table spoon of flour. add to a hot pan (medium heat) at the same time and stir. cook for five minutes, always stirring. Add a cup of milk slowly, When it is really thick and creamy, add as much cheese as you would like, Stir like hell. You might add broth or more milk if it gets to thick. and toss in some salt, pepper, dash of paprika, and some cayenne (tiny bit)

>> No.3787525

>>3787521
That sounds pretty good. I might give that a shot.

>> No.3787529

>>3787510
First and foremost: those cheeses will not work well for carbonara. They're not crumbly.
Next, Alfredo sauce has very few ingredients: 1:1:1, by volume, grated cheese (parmesan or grana being typical), butter and panna da cucina, a special type of cooking cream.
Judging from your list of cheeses available, I will assume you live in the US: if so, go to a Mexican grocery and buy either crema entera or medio crema as both of them are almost identical to panna da cucina. The cost about $1,50US per 200ml carton. Considering that 100ml each of cheese, butter and panna makes enough for 4 servings of Alfredo sauce, 200ml is enough for 8.

If you want a cheap dish involving the cheeses you have and pasta, might I recommend macaroni and cheese? There's the southern black American variety that's based on egg.
Basically, you beat shredded cheese with egg, toss with fresh-cooked pasta of your choice, elbows being traditional, and place into a baking dish, topped with butter-crumb cornflakes.
Bake until golden and bubbly and that's that.

>> No.3787535

>>3787529
Also sounds pretty good. To clarify, not making carbonara, just needed a pic to post with, and that one was semi-relevant.

>> No.3787536 [DELETED] 

>>3787510
First and foremost: those cheeses will not work well for carbonara. They're not crumbly.
Next, Alfredo sauce has very few ingredients: 1:1:1, by volume, grated cheese (parmesan or grana being typical), butter and panna da cucina, a special type of cooking cream.
Judging from your list of cheeses available, I will assume you live in the US: if so, go to a Mexican grocery and buy either crema entera or medio crema as both of them are almost identical to panna da cucina. The cost about $1,50US per 200ml carton. Considering that 100ml each of cheese, butter and panna makes enough for 4 servings of Alfredo sauce, 200ml is enough for 8.

If you want a cheap dish involving the cheeses you have and pasta, might I recommend macaroni and cheese? There's the southern black American variety that's based on egg.
Basically, you beat shredded cheese with egg, toss with fresh-cooked pasta of your choice, elbows being traditional, and place into a baking dish, topped with butter-crumb cornflakes.
Bake until golden and bubbly and that's that.

>>3787512
True that, traditionally, carbonara lacks cream, there are greater sins than this in the kitchen. The largest might be being a back-burner cook. Analogous to the back-seat driver, the back-burner cook is a douchebag who no-one likes who tells other people who are cooking food for themselves the way they like it that said food won't be good and directs how to cook the food. You come across as such a person. The penalty for such a sin is never-ending hellfire, may God have mercy on your soul.
David Martinez of this season's Masterchef US is also such a person.

>> No.3787540

>>3787512
True that, traditionally, carbonara lacks cream, there are greater sins than this in the kitchen. The largest might be being a back-burner cook. Analogous to the back-seat driver, the back-burner cook is a douchebag who no-one likes who tells other people who are cooking food for themselves the way they like it that said food won't be good and directs how to cook the food. You come across as such a person. The penalty for such a sin is never-ending hellfire, may God have mercy on your soul.
David Martinez of this season's Masterchef US is also such a person.

>> No.3787568
File: 275 KB, 456x303, This.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3787540

>> No.3787624

>>3787521
Wow, this is good stuff, anon. I made this, used the jack and added a bit of a american to take some of the ite out of it. Added a bit more flour, because it was pretty thin, and it is awesome. Saving this recipe for later. Thanks!