[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 88 KB, 294x543, ReceiptImage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3786163 No.3786163[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Hey guys, I was wondering what your budgets for weekly shopping were? and if you could list some of the essentials?

I'm employed now and I'm fed up of the shit that my parents feed me, I'm eager to learn to cook and i feel this nugget of information could really help me start some basic meals!

You could discuss your Quality vs Quantity for the stuff you buy too!

Any help would be appreciated it

Oh yeah, I'm british.
Kind Regards, Anon

>> No.3786171

damn.

>> No.3786178

> Oh yeah, I'm English.
Fixed.

>> No.3786185

>>3786178
Okay I'm from England.

>> No.3786188

>>3786185
> Okay I'm from Leeds.
Fixed.

>> No.3786189

>>3786188
Sir, I'm from Bristol.

>> No.3786190

Tortillas
Cheese
Beans
Ground Beef
Tomatoes
Peppers

I can't hear you over the sound of me eating the same thing for a week.

In all seriousness though, tortillas are a godsend if you're trying to stretch out ingredients, and also a fantastic thing to just have.

>> No.3786213

>>3786190

Not OP but I would like to check this. Aside from lots and lots of chili, what else can be made with these ingredients? Does it need to be fresh tomatoes or can tinned, chopped tomatoes substitute?

Also, what other uses do tortillas have? I've been using the ones I buy as wraps for lunch, but generally I've been buying sliced ham and things like lettuce, rocket to put in there.What else would you suggest?

>> No.3786243

I try to spend under $50 dollars a week for food (I only buy for myself), usually I'll go to the store twice a week. Sweet/white potatoes, butter, bananas, avocados, eggs, and cheese are my essentials that I buy regularly and usually keep stocked in my house. I end up buying more expensive foods like nuts and Lindt chocolate on almost every trip even though I probably shouldn't.

>> No.3786277

My parents spend like $200 for my family of four every week. We always buy milk, eggs, potatoes, and bread no matter what. Meat for the week for dinner, like ground beef, chicken breasts, and steaks. Vegetables like corn, green beans, spinach, etc. Fruits like strawberries, cherries, bananas, grapes, etc. Quality over quantity, always. But sometimes the store brand stuff is better than name brand. Such as pasta.. the name brand pasta sticks together REALLY bad and tastes pasty, but the store brand is perfect. Things such as off brand cookies or cereals are definitely no-gos. We keep our house STOCKED.

>> No.3786293

>>3786188
Another /ck/ anon from Leeds?

>> No.3786298

Hey guys, I was wondering what your budgets for weekly shopping were? and if you could list some of the essentials? xx

I'm employed now and I'm fed up of the shit that my parents feed me, I'm eager to learn to cook and i feel this nugget of information could really help me start some basic meals! xxx

You could discuss your Quality vs Quantity for the stuff you buy too!

Any help would be appreciated it x

Oh yeah, I'm british.xx
Kind Regards, Anonx

FTFY xx

>> No.3786317

>>3786163
OP's picture remined of this art work that made me rage.
It was a till receipt, just a receipt, but all the items were white.
Total fucking bullshit, see here;
https://uninformedcomment.wordpress.com/tag/monochrome-till-receipt-all-white/

>> No.3786319

This is what we do, pretty much. I feed a family of three, and I make sure there's always food on hand so no one feels the need to buy crap. Quality food. I start out shopping at the farmer's market to get the best of what's in season at the cheapest price, and then work my way down. I spend an average of $100 a week, sometimes more if I have to replenish our staples/canned goods. I go to four or five different places to shop on average, to get the best deals and the freshest product.

>> No.3786368

Britfag here. I live with my girlfriend as we spend something like £50 every fortnight on a "big shop" and probably another £50 intermittently on perishable essentials. It doesn't sound like a lot but we both cook from scratch every night and batch cook (we both work and take meals to have there for convenience sake)

She has been away with work for 2 weeks and I've spent about £150 just on myself. Not worth cooking for one

>> No.3786377

>>3786368
As for quality v quantity we never opt for the cheapest stuff. It's false economy as you use more/end up throwing it away. The only "basics" stuff we get is maybe rice, pasta, pulses and maybe chopped tomatoes for chilli/curries.

We always get our meat from an actual butchers as if you shop smart it's as cheap as the supermarkets and a lot better quality. eg you can get 2 mixed packs of meat from our local butcher for £5 so we could get for example 4 chicken legs and 4 pork steaks for that price.

We go to different shops too, what we can't get in Asda we get from Aldi, what we can't get from there we get from Sainsburys etc. It's not that we struggle for money but we'd rather spend it on leisure activties.

We never, ever have processed food/ready meals. They're horrble and drain your resources which is what's happening to me with her being away!!

>> No.3786411

>>3786319
Do you have a child? If so, I'm surprised to see a parent buying quality food instead of processed junk. That's assuming you're American of course. I've noticed kids are usually fed the most awful foods.

>> No.3786425

>>3786411
We always were.
We weren't poor, I just think we were fussy eaters and it was easier for mum to give us chicken nuggets and chips.

>> No.3786429

>13 dollars
Holy shit that would've been like 60 where I live

>> No.3786490

About £40 a week for just me. I eat quality paleo stuff though, grass fed meats, seafood, gold top milk, etc.

Food is the most important expense, spending a whole 10% of my income is not a stretch.

Also my mum gives me a box of frozen meat and things each week. Her hobby is visiting the supermarket at 8pm each night when they reduce things. She knows all my favourites like wild salmon, certain yogurt and such. Good ol mum.

>> No.3786497

Always like these sorts of threads. Am moving into a student house on friday and I'm shitting in with regards to feeding myself

>> No.3786948
File: 142 KB, 463x486, victory.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3786213

The beauty of it is that so many things can be made from those few things. I'd add Avocado to the list if you're feeling fancy, make your own guacamole. And your own tortilla chips, if you're up for it.

I like to make quesadillas out of nearly everything. Just put that thing in a skillet with some cheese, dice up some of the tomatoes/onion/peppers and throw that in there. Add the ground beef if you'd like.

Tortilla soup is amazing when you're sick or on a cold day. Hell, it's great any time. Super easy to make too.

And for dessert - hell, try some sopapillas! Hot dicks tortillas are great!

As for wraps, something I like to do is grill up a few chicken breasts and put them in the fridge, then whenever I feel like it just take one out, slice it up, and wrap it in a tortilla with diced tomato, lettuce, and some kind of dressing. Usually ranch or bleu cheese. It's quick, tasty, cheap, and requires almost zero effort.

>> No.3786957

>>3786213

Oh and I forgot to add - any kind of tomatoes is fine, but obviously nothing beats the real deal. Whatever the budget allows.