[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 9 KB, 489x429, fadfgae.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3776869 No.3776869 [Reply] [Original]

So here is the deal /ck/. I recently moved out by myself into an apartment. So far my diet has consisted of frozen meals, takeout, fastfood, and frozen pizzas. I am starting to feel like shit because I am basically eating shit. Can you guys make or show me in the direction of something that shows what you need to buy to stock your kitchen and the meals to prepare for the week. I am also on a budget so no extravagant meals. All I really want is something that I can eat that will supply me with a balanced diet while being extremely cost efficient.

>tl;dr
Just moved out, Need instruction for frugally stocking kitchen and preparing nutritional meals.

>> No.3776904

Are you in the US?

>> No.3776922

Get some fucking pasta.

Also mom always seems to know.

>> No.3776938

>>3776904
Yes

>>3776922
My parents eat worse than I do. Fastfood all day and everyday for them.

>> No.3776949

>>3776869
>Just moved out, Need instruction for frugally stocking kitchen and preparing nutritional meals.
go to market. look at prices. buy what you can afford. would you like us to hold your hand while you do the 2nd grade arithmetic needed to add up the totals?

>> No.3776964

>>3776949
You're the type of newfag that's posting in all of the chicken /pol/ threads aren't you, and the autistic /soc/ thread, and probably the anorexic thread too.

Kids like you are why the front page is littered with off topic threads. Kill yourself.

OP you'll eventually get some good answers. Actual food threads are slow while the shitposters flood the off topic threads.

>> No.3776989

>>3776938
Get $45.
Go to Aldi, Walmart, Save-A-Lot and/or Bottom Dollar.
Buy $5-worth of dry beans.
> chickpeas, lentils, red beans, white beans etc
Buy $5-worth of pasta.
> get a long shape, a short shape, a small shape and a few specialty ones. I'd recommend spaghetti, penne, tubettini and whatever other ones you like that you can afford. Luigi Vitelli brand is cheap and decent.
Buy $5-worth of tinned, whole, peeled, plum-shaped tomatoes, Hunt's brand (best brand of tomato I've tried in the US, rivalling those back home, and I'm a resident alien here from Italy).
Buy $5-worth of smoked meat.
Buy a bottle of yellow, American-style prepared mustard ($1).
Buy a $4 box of kosher salt.
Buy $5-worth of cubed, stewing beef.
Buy $5-worth of pork chops.
Buy $2-worth of butter (1 lb).
> This is Aldi price; super cheap.
Buy $3-worth of sugar.
Buy a $2 bag of salad greens.
Buy a $3 bottle of vinegar.

>> No.3776992

>>3776938
>>3776989
Get $20.
Go to a supermarket and buy a tin of Kalamata-brand olive oil. This is the best bang-for-the-buck olive oil sold in the US. It's about $13-15USD per 3litre tin, which is very, very cheap.
Buy $5-8-worth of fresh basil.

Get $35.
Go to an Asian market.
Buy a bunch of parsley (about $1,29-1,99).
Buy $3-worth of loose, large, yellow onions (49-69¢ per pound).
Buy garlic (5 heads for $1-2.)
Buy 3lbs of yellow potatoes ($1/lb).
Buy one whole, bone-in, skin-on chicken breast ($1,99/lb; about $5).
Buy $5-worth of various common WHOLE (not powdered; never powdered) spices.
>black peppercorn, stick cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc
Buy a dozen JUMBO eggs ($1,50-2).
Buy $3-worth of zucchine.
Buy $5-worth of ground beef.
Buy $2-worth of fresh, Thai-style chilies.
Buy $3-worth of calabaza (NOT kabocha) squash.

That's $100 and should last you a month, if you're smart. Need more info on what to do with all of that and how to store it?

>> No.3776996

Op, do you have any cooking skills? That's the first step.

The only general guideline I can give without more info is this :

Sit down with some paper and make a plan. Make sure the ingredients you buy are either staples that should stay in permanent stock in your kitchen, or something you will roll into other dishes during the week.

Example : Buy a whole chicken.
>Day 1 : roast chicken
>Day 2 : sandwiches with the left over meat
>Day 3 : Chicken soup with the left-over left over meat and the bones. Or fried rice.

And so on. Before going shopping for food make sure you know :
> What you are eating for breakfast that week
> What you are eating for dinner that week

Lunches can take care of themselves via left overs. Write down all the ingredients required for all the recipes planned for the week. This is where you check if you have a good amount of overlap or not.

>> No.3777002
File: 61 KB, 408x360, 1342239545141.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3776964
no, i don't post in threads unrelated to food on ck.
no, i've been farting around on ck for years, keep deluding yourself summerfag
>mfw i'm one of the oldestfags on this board
>mfw i'm tired of trolls/actual retards who can't add 2 and 2 together ask for basic life help

>> No.3777032

>>3777002
You shitpost more than any of the regular posters. You derail threads with your arguing and /pol/ bullshit. You think you're anonymous but you're not.

>> No.3777053

So how do you roast a chicken if you don't have an oven?

In fact, what can you cook without an oven?

>> No.3777063

>>3777053
OP never mentioned having no oven, hence the example used.

Stove top centric example :
>Day 1 = Stir fry with rice
> Day 2 = Fried rice with left overrice
> Day 3 = left over stir fry veggies used as stuffing in pita bread

Same principle applies. Start your planning before hitting the store.

>> No.3777065
File: 1.81 MB, 176x144, 1339990526756.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3777032
lmao, will the consequences never be the same?
can't wait til this time of year ends.
>implying i ever go to /pol/

>> No.3777215

bump

>> No.3777236

>>3777215
Why bump? We can't give you more info without more data, such as cooking skill level, food likes/dislikes/allergies/taboos, etc. What hardware do you already have?

... I should type this list of questions cleanly once and just make myself a macro for it.

>> No.3777337

>>3777236
>Cooking Skill
Advanced Microwave User.

>Food Likes/Dislikes
Honestly could care less about taste. Only two things that matter are nutritional value and cost.

>Allergies
none

>Taboos
none

Tools.

Knife set
Measuring Cups and Spoons
wooden spoon
Wire wisk
Spatula
Pasta Strainer
3 different sauce pan
Skillet
Some various baking pans

Aren't there some cooking hacks and tells you what to buy during the week and then what meals you can prepare? Also I am living by myself so I don't need to prepare meals that serve 8 people, unless this is somehow more cost effective due to leftovers.

>> No.3777357

>>3777337
Hi, I am the primary grocery getter in our house. I try to keep things cheap and healthy. I recommend that you get a bag of chicken breasts, a box of boil in bag brown rice, and a big 72 oz bag of birdseye brand normandy blend frozen vegetables. invest in a steamer insert for one of your pots, the cost about 8 bucks and are worth it. Keep this combo of food around and you always have something relatively healthy to eat. you can marinate the chicken in Italian dressing and sprinkle a spice blend over top and then bake it in the oven. preheat the oven to 375 F and then bake the chicken for 20-30 minutes.

>> No.3777363

>could care less about taste
A lot less or just a little less?

>> No.3777494
File: 367 KB, 843x1600, first-time_food_shopper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3777337
Here.

And ore here :
http://ck-essentials.blogspot.ca/2012/06/shopping-guides.html

But it essentially boils down to : Plan ahead, write it down, try to get some overlap.

>> No.3777541

I like to start with basic cheap energy/protein. buy in bulk
-rice
-beans
-bread
-pasta
-dairy

then move to nutrient rich plant based foods. these are cheap in the US for the most part, get the fruits and veggies you like to eat, buy as much as you'll eat without them going bad. I recommend
-apples
-a few bananas
-grapes (you can freeze these to make em last long, great snack)
-carrots
-a couple potatoes
-tomatoes
-spinach
-onions
-garlic

then with the money you have left over, feel free to buy the meats that you like. chicken is always cheap and good, flash-frozen salmon filets are often budget friendly and deliciously nutritious.

after this, you will have all the food you need to stay healthy and well-fed. Most basic dishes and stews use these ingredients, feel free to pick up extra stuff and you're cookin'