[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 45 KB, 250x250, pizza-delivery-boy2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3751571 No.3751571[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I would rather /ck/s opinion as opposed to /b/. Has anyone here ever worked fast food or delivered pizzas? If you have can you recommend why I should choose working one over the other?

I'll spare you the details but I am at a financially difficult time in my life and I need a job immediately, even if it means flipping burgers or slinging pizzas. I'd like to know the pros and cons of each from people who have done it. Pizza delivery seems like it would make more money because of tips but it also seems like it would be sort of dangerous (I live in the inner city). Fast food seems like a more steady and set paycheck and I wouldn't be wearing out my car and gas, but it seems like it would be hellish compared to driving around all day.

What should I try to get? I need a job NOW.

>> No.3751575

>>3751571

if you have a good car, meaning less than 5 years old with less than 60k miles on it and generally reliable, pizza delivery is your best bet for cash. otherwise, if you need immediate employment, fast food all the way.

it will be much easier getting a job in fast food than pizza delivery though.

>> No.3751584

i have a 2008 car with right around 60k on it. i probably wouldn't be driving long distances, but since i live close to downtown there would be alot of stop and go wear and tear, plus all of the potholes. how is the tipping for pizza delivery, usually? is it even enough to pay for gas? the area i would be delivering in is mostly affluent, with a few pockets of exceptions. do you think the rich folk would tip better? do rich people even order pizzas?

>> No.3751601

I delivered pizzas. It really isn't worth it. stick w fast food, especially if this is just a stop gap.

pizza delivery can be fickle, sometimes people don't tip or they under-tip and you end up making less money than what is really worth it after factoring in gas,

just don't step on the lettuce and you will be ok.

>> No.3751608

>>3751584
>>3751584

I can't speak from personal experience and this might be a bit misleading because my ex-gf was pretty good looking but she made more than enough to pay for the gas and still make more than you would at fast food.

on friday or saturday nights, working 6 hour shifts she would bring back $80-120 a night, cash, after gas prices and she drove a fucking ford ranger (truck). not to mention the $6 an hour she was paid via check.

like I said, she was female and decent looking so she probably made much more than the guys she worked with. still, if you do the math that's pretty good bank for delivering a damn pizza. she would, however bitch about some people not tipping ANYTHING a few times a week. it's all about luck I guess.

>> No.3751615

>>3751601
>>3751608
thanks for the info guys. i'm a dude, and not a particularly good looking dude, so i doubt i'd be pulling in anything special based on my looks. and if i deliver it would be with papa johns. not the lowest tier, but nowhere near the fanciest pizza available in my hood. i'd imagine all the rich big tippers$20 pizzas from elsewhere. if i chose fast food its gonna be whataburger. its still a fast food job, but imo it would be better than working taco bell or something like that.

i just don't know. i know i would much rather do delivery but i'm still worried about not getting enough tips to cover gas and wear.

>> No.3751619

Dude, if you're looking for a job /now/ beggars can't be choosers.

Both will have it's pros and cons, just go with whatever you can get as soon as possible.

>> No.3751628

DO NOT DO A DOUGH PREP AT ANY PIZZA JOINT.

You will fucking hate your life, be a waiter before dough prep.

>> No.3751634

>>3751615

Don't be worried about not making enough money to cover gas & wear; you should just flat out expect to not get it. (You may be able to take a tax deduction for non-reimbursed business mileage, however.)

>> No.3751656

OP back. i just looked up all of the papa johns locations in my area, and it would seem mine is the closest location to one of the darkest, grimiest inner city hoods around here, the third ward. coincidentally i would also going to be working the store that is closest to the richest, most affluent neighborhoods in the city, river oaks. question: what can i expect from delivering pizzas in a 99% black dirt poor ghetto? do you think theyll order much?

>> No.3751667

>>3751656

papa john's doesn't accept food stamps. no worries, OP.

>> No.3751673

>>3751656

Are you black, anon?
Because you might get a tip if you were black, delivering in the hood.

>> No.3751679

>>3751673
nah, i'm white. i do get along pretty well with black folk though. even so, i don't like being the white guy in an all black ghetto. its just asking for attention and to be made a target.

>> No.3751681

>>3751673
>PTSD-like flashback to Pizza level in GTA SA

>> No.3751684

>>3751679
Do you lift? Are you more than 6' tall? Most importantly, do you have a concealed firearm that you are licensed to use?

>> No.3751685

>>3751684
Man, going from /v/ to /ck/ is rough. I keep forgetting that food can't spoil.

>> No.3751686

look it dosent mattter who you are niggas dont tip

>> No.3751690

>>3751684
don't lift much, and am just under 6 foot. i'm not a fatass but i do have a pretty largeish and hefty build, if it were one on one and weaponless i don't think most people would pick a fight with me unless they lifted a shitload of weights. and i do have a baretta police pistol, but no concealed license so i usually dont haul it around with me. of course i may start carrying if i get this job.

>> No.3751692

don't deliver pizza in houston.

>> No.3751696

I never delivered pizza, but Ive worked at a BBQ place that does deliveries. Was the worst job ever, got these fucking black women calling and ordering chicken, and their total would be something like $14.91 and bitch would give me $15 and say "Just keep the change."

Pissed me off to no end.

>> No.3751697

Depending on where you work, pizza delivery's pay structure might be different.

Rather than hourly wage, some places will pay you a fixed amount per delivery.

For example, the local pizza hut around here hires drivers by contract, and they earn $3 per delivery.

>> No.3751700
File: 373 KB, 700x469, third ward nigga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3751692
but thats where i live.......

pic related, its about two miles from where i would be working. hopefully they are too poor for papa johns and get dominos instead, theres a dominos in the heart of this neighborhood. do niggers like papa johns? seems like a pretty white pizza choice.

>> No.3751720

I used to make $12-20 an hour delivering asian food (thai, chinese, japanese, or fusion and they always paid 5/hour +tips) excluding gas and a pack of smokes. This was in the suburbs of North Denver though i.e. middle-upper class white folk. It was seriously the greatest job ever. Driving around, listening to music, having a drink, smoking cigs, selling dope, etc. It does take a toll on your vehicle and you NEED to know how to do basic maintenance yourself if you plan on doing it for a while.

That said, I don't know how the inner city (i.e. niggerish) tipping situation is. If you think that you really might be in danger of getting mugged or not even making more than $3 tip a delivery average then it probably won't be worth it. I do know that pizza guys do way more volume than I did, but got pretty shitty tips so maybe it evened out for them.

>> No.3751724

>>3751720
Also, the biggest thing is knowing the area. You need to know the streets. Lights, shortcuts, traffic patterns, one-ways, construction, cops, all play into your ability to make as many deliveries as possible in a shift. Remember the neighborhoods and the streets, don't rely on GPS or you'll be slow as fuck forever. If you've never done this then you'll be slow as shit at first. Just remember landmarks, the address numbering system and you'll learn real quick.

>> No.3751727

>>3751724
good to know. i know this side of town really well. back when i had a job and could afford to waste money on things like gas i'd drive all over here just for fun. plus i bike ride alot so i know all of the back streets, side streets and shortcuts. i really kindof want the delivery job because i enjoy driving so much, i've gotta think it through though. i mean, the hood ain't far away and i'm sure i'll end up delivering there eventually. trust me, it ain't pretty.