[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 20 KB, 400x263, borscht-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3729257 No.3729257[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

hey everyone
i've been assigned to make some sort of russian food for my history final

the class is based around american immigrants so anything russian that's also american would be great

i would really appreciate and suggestions :)

>> No.3729269

bring bottle of vodka and a mail-order bride.

>> No.3729275

>>3729257
Well, what's more Russian-American than chicken kiev?
Serve it shots of vodka for an A+

>> No.3729281

Shashlyk

Basically, skewers of meat. It's not going to win you style points but at least it's hard to fuck up.

>> No.3729286

>>3729275
oohh me gusta :)
i don't think i've heard of this bfore XD

>> No.3729290
File: 135 KB, 800x600, shchi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

look into making shchi. its one of my favorite things to cook and eat. if you want i can give you my recipe.

>> No.3729292

I went to a Russian dinner back on college.

I remember lots of caviar, borscht, lamb, and some kind of fish salad that was fucking delicious.

Oh, and bring vodka.

>> No.3729293

>>3729281
wat is called in russia this skewers of meat?

>> No.3729299

>>3729290
ooohhh
what is?
a recipe would be great :D

>> No.3729335

Stale bread and vodka, comrade.

>> No.3729339

lolololol

>> No.3729342

Give teacher potato. Thank party for potato. Share potato with whole class. This is food in Russia.

>> No.3729343

>>3729299
its basically a russian vegetable soup with sour cream. meat is optional, but i like to use some cubed stew meat. i don't have an exact recipe because i measure everything by eye and taste, but if you follow this you should be able to make a good soup. the good thing about shchi is that they made it with whatever they happened to have on hand, so there really is no "right" recipe. just add ingredients and seasonings until it tastes good.

first start off with about a pound of stew meat and put it in a slow cooker. add a couple cans of beef broth, one finely chopped white onion, an entire bulb of fresh crushed garlic, and some salt and pepper. cook it on low for maybe 4 hours.
at around 4 hours you wanna chop and add your veggies you will need.....
a half head of cabbage, shredded
one russet potato, skinned and cubed
on turnip, skinned and cubed.
two carrots, sliced
one pasnip, sliced
a fistfull of sliced mushrooms
two leeks, sliced
a bit of chopped pasley
a teaspoon of dill seed
two tablespoons butter

add all of these and continue cooking on low for around 3 hours, or until the potatoes and turnips are cooked. now you are done! spoon it into a bowl and garnish with some parsley if you like. also, add a tablespoon of sour cream to the bowl. this is pretty important, it makes the soup taste better and creamier.

>> No.3729356

>>3729343
that's really easy :D
i don't have a slow cooker tho, i think i might skip the meat anyway... i'm mostly vegetarian myself and i want to make sure everyone can try it

thanks!

>> No.3729361

>>3729293
Shashlyk, you dolt. I tried Sturgeon Shashlyk once, had to eat it inside the kitchen and pay it separately from the rest of the bill. It was probably the best 7USD I've ever spent, with each mouthful I could taste the eminent extinction of one of the region's most prized fish species.

It was also well seasoned and cooked well too.

>> No.3729365

>>3729356
its great without meat, and still legit. they didn't always have access to meats in the motherland and would make due with what they had. if you do skip the meat then just add an extra onion, extra garlic, salt, and pepper, and maybe an extra leek so that it will still be just as flavorful. also you may wanna add an extra potato so that it will be as filling as the one with meat.

>> No.3729373

>>3729361
oh wow
i'm definitely gonna eat this someday

>> No.3729378

Borscht, motherfucker. do you eat it?

>> No.3729381

>>3729365
kk
thnx for the advice :)
>>3729378
there are 2 other ppl w/ russian food so i wanna do something that's not completely obvious

>> No.3729405

>>3729381
Why don't you ask them what they are doing?

Also, excuse me for the hijack, but if you're into doing something fancy just for the hell of it, why not make some mock caviar and serve it with blini?

You can make your mock caviar with fruit juice and serve it with a dollop of whipped cream.

>> No.3729430
File: 168 KB, 800x600, blini, red caviar, hot chocolate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

"best recipes in the world" by mark bittman has a lot of good, somewhat westernized russian recipes. can probably find it at a library. here are some common russian foods.

borscht - red beet soup
shchi - cabbage soup
pelmeni - dumplings! can be made with beef, chicken, or ricotta cheese
beef stroganoff
blini w/ red caviar, or just butter, pic related
blini w/ other things like baked apples or chocolate
sbiten - honey/mint beverage
kvas - tastes like beer except sweet and little alcohol

>> No.3729465

May I recommend pelmeni dumplings. They're pretty excellent if I do say so. Top with curry powder, melted butter, cilantro, and sriracha. Sour cream too if you can't handle the heat, I prefer without.

cookeatshare [andthenthedotgoeshere] com/recipes/homemade-pelmeni-11