[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 3.90 MB, 5472x3648, Pizza-3007395.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20098666 No.20098666 [Reply] [Original]

I'll start with a personal case of this.
>Be me, 2000s
>Russian child
>Keep seeing this "pizza" dish in western movies and cartoons
>Ask my mom to make it for me
>She doesn't know the recipe, but tries her best to come up with one
>Laminated dough base
>Ketchup+mayonnaise as the sauce
>Non-specific cheese from the store
>Diced hotdogs as the topping, placed under the cheese
>It was the best damn thing I've ever eaten by that point in my life
Thankfully we have proper pizzeria chains now. I've even been to a Papa John's while at the Black Sea this year.

>> No.20098670 [DELETED] 

gender = sex

>> No.20098692

>>20098670
gender = imaginary
sex = unchangeable

>> No.20098698

Very cool food and cooking thread we are having.

>> No.20098699
File: 1.64 MB, 659x609, SatanDelivers.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20098666

>> No.20098702

>>20098666
>this year.
I meant last year.

>> No.20098720

What's with the discord raids today

And to answer your question OP, my mom has never made a good beef stew in her life. She'd basically take some steak from the freezer, cut it up and pan fry it, then drain the fat. Then she'd just fill up the pan with chopped celery and some onion, let it sweat for like 20 minutes, and serve it alongside some dogshit watery rice. It was fucking awful.

>> No.20099678

>>20098720
Damn, that sucks. At least my mom got better at cooking all around throughout the year. She made me a normal pizza this morning (well, mostly normal since the base was still laminated dough, I like it this way). But the pizza she made for herself still had mayo on it because she likes it that way. She also likes shrimp and pineapple on pizza.

>> No.20099712

>>20099678
>year
*years

>> No.20099729

I feel like parents would always make something really simple and easy that they knew the kids would like, but never really tried to pass it off as something specific. Like one of my friends' moms mixed tuna with mayo, spooned it onto saltines, put a slice of cheddar on each one and baked them until the cheese was melted and it was the best thing ever, but she just played it off as her being a cool mom and not making us what are essentially tuna melts on saltines.

I always find it funny though when you're in a different country and they have something from your country on the menu when it makes no sense, and they've obviously never had the real dish before. I got fish tacos one time on a beach in Cambodia and it was amazing. It's like they had someone describe a fish taco to them once, and then they recreated the idea the best they could just based on that one description. I have no idea what they made the "tortillas" out of, and everything else for that matter, but it all came together, and the fish itself was excellent. And before you say anything about eating fish in SE Asia, look at where Cambodia is on a map.

>> No.20099739

inb4 spaghetti and tacos, those two classics of traditional American family cuisine that cause Aye-ties and Mexicans to seethe and reach for their hemorrhoid pillows

>>20098666
Based mom, even those unfortunate digits can't stop her.
>>20099678
Still based. The Japs love mayo on pizza, the Aussies put prawns on theirs, and pineapple is a Canadian classic that makes malding Redditors cry. Your mom is intuitively a cosmopolitan culinary elite, and you should call her to tell her you love her.

>> No.20099755

>>20098666
Mu mother did fried rice once with no frying involved.

>> No.20099781

>>20098666
I wouldn't say my momma made it "wrong." It was what we call now, in my family, a Mexican pizza.
I was very Catholic and didn't like fish/seafood growing up. Most people know that we can't eat fish/seafood on Fridays or everyday (we tried this once) depending on fealty to the Lord. I wasn't a picky eater but I just don't jive with fish.

Anyways here's the recipie:
>2 to 3 burrito sized flour tortillas as the "dough"
>"red sauce" a staple in Mexican cooking which is just tomato sauce with dried peppers
>queso fresco + muenster
>canned tuna
>Mexican oregano
The only "wrong" aspect I can think of is her technique. She'd just throw it all in a pan at the same time and just called it a day. I've perfected her recipe by "fusing" the tortillas first and using a broiler for the cheese. If anyone is interested can type out my exact recipe/technique. It's pretty basic common sense, however.