[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 530 KB, 1079x1072, Schwarma.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19973017 No.19973017 [Reply] [Original]

We have lambs and mutton at our disposal. In Spring, we will butcher for the first time. It will be done by us, NOT a butcher/processor.

is there specific cuts one is supposed to use, or is it just pile random meat on a spike? what aboot fat? yes fat? no fat? some fat?

what seasonings are traditionally used? are traditional seasonings the way to go, or should I use something closer to the seasoning palate we tend towards at our house? eg: paprika, chilli powder, black pepper, garlic, salt, sage, rosemary.

>> No.19973149
File: 184 KB, 2560x1707, 718rkSrYpHL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19973017
i use mutton. you are going to need a lean cut, a mixed cut, and pure fat. layer the cuts - lean, mix, fat and trim it once in a while so you get an even cooking surface. you are going to need a shawarma knife as well. the longer the better essentially. watch these guys and see how they do it. notice how thinly he slices as well. its CRUCIAL to slice thin otherwise youre going to get more of a shish type of meat than shawarma. also another important thing, is to have a vertical spit, and to make it relatively large. you dont have to make a massive one like in the video, but you have to make it quite large. you are going to have to invite some people over or freeze it when you are done, they go bad very quickly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbbpaLmu2cs&ab_channel=BrothersKitchen

last thing. its called shawarma, not schwarma.

>> No.19973153

I always wanted to make a meat tornado and cook it

>> No.19973167

>>19973017
>>19973149
forgot to tell you what spices to use
- cumin 1 tablespoon
- ground coriander seed 1 tablespoon
- sumac 1 teaspoon
- turmeric 1 teaspoon
- sweet paprika 1 teaspoon
- black pepper 1 teaspoon
- clove 1 teaspoon
- ginger 1 teaspoon dry, or 2 teaspoons fresh
- garlic powder 1 teaspoon
do not use fresh garlic its going to completely over power everything

>> No.19974483
File: 2.82 MB, 640x360, doner kebab factory.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19973149
>>19973167
Is that something like per pound of meat? I only have a webm to contribute but I don't want to miss the rare actual /ck/ knowledge thread.

>> No.19974507

>is there specific cuts one is supposed to use

do not use cuts, use stabs

the puncture wounds will cause internal bleeding and lead to a much more visual death

cuts cause blood loss and they fall unconscious too quick